The online racing simulator
forum stats back agian... and there are 856 racers online... waiting...
Quote from snewham :and when you're gonna get it

Nothing different here. Before the end of April.
Quote from stevewhite :It feels like christmas eve... only on christmas eve you KNOW when you getting what you want

Yeah, its cruel and unusual

Like saying to a kid on the first of december, 'One day this month, you're going to get all the presents that you want, and each day we're going to tell you one thing, or give you clues, but you wont know which day you'll actually get the presents'
Quote from Hallen :True, grooved slicks are a F1 thing. It is done in an effort to reduce the contact patch area of the tires to slow the cars down. LFS did not have this type of tire for the current release version.
If you are going to do an F1 car, you pretty much have to have this type of tire. It could be just a new texture for the current slicks, or it could be an all-new tire type.

Thx for the info. Seems silly for teams to create these amazing cars, and then disallow a couple cylinders here and there, and make people use tires that handicap the car's potential... I don't get it

Slightly OT though sorry.

Maybe I should actually follow F1 someday, maybe then I would understand the madness.
hmm, 24th then?
Quote from Hallen :True, grooved slicks are a F1 thing. It is done in an effort to reduce the contact patch area of the tires to slow the cars down. LFS did not have this type of tire for the current release version.
If you are going to do an F1 car, you pretty much have to have this type of tire. It could be just a new texture for the current slicks, or it could be an all-new tire type.

i thought it was because rain came and the teams held out on the slicks, and that caused some serious accident, so the tires were created to not be completely useless in the wet
Quote from Jakg :i thought it was because rain came and the teams held out on the slicks, and that caused some serious accident, so the tires were created to not be completely useless in the wet

That's one way to see it but here's another: http://www.f1-country.com/f1-engineer/tyres/tyres.html

i'm holding my 100th post for a special occasion now...
Grooves have been on the tyre texture for as long as I can remember... The only difference this has the grooves modelling in 3D rather than just a texture (unless it's a displacement map, which I doubt).

I know we shouldn't be disappointed, as we've learnt so many good things about LFS in the last few days (for which I am thankful). But if the F1 car was the surprise, which it almost certainly is, it means that anything they post tomorrow, be it interiors, F1 on Aston, or something is just going to be a bit of a let down and a disappointment.

I know I now have the benefit of hindsight, but I'd have rather had the 'surprise' kept secret until the last possible moment. that render would have made the worlds best 'click here to download' button. And it would have meant that the forum didn't die, threads weren't bursting, and everyone would be as happy as they can be.

Unfortunately for me the updates per day (which I don't think they've fulfilled to be perfectly honest, as a quote and a random render isn't exactly patch news, especially if you're new to LFS) have peaked and I will no longer be as excited.

Sure I'll get the patch as soon as I can and love it dearly, but this news thing hasn't been as perfect as it could have been. Unless it's released in about 6 minutes time Thank you to whoever has been involved in the patch, it really will be appreciated. Don't take this post as a derogatory thing, as that's not intended. I'm just voicing my personal disappointment.

The point of the grooves was soley to reduce corner speeds without making the tyres really skinny (i.e. they are wide but with the contact patch of a narrower tyre). Nothing about teams doing stuff on wet tracks on slicks. Hell these grooves tyres don't displace much water either, they're just as bad as a true slick.
Well the V10 was way too overpowered, and slowed down cars in corners...now cornering speeds are immense, drivers are actually in pain now that soft tires are in use again, there was a whole story on autosport about it.

V8s were a good move, cheaper in the long run, and the cars are far more balanced than before...allowing for closer racing...still nothing like the days of Senna VS Prost VS Mansel though

EDIT: and cosworth have been revving to 22,000rpm...
Quote from vladimir :you could enable grooved slicks in S1 already with the tweak-tool...

You could simply choose grooved slicks from pits for mrt5 in S1. No need for lfs tweak or any other third-party program.
BTW, for those with a good eye for details, like fellow 3d artists, will notice that the car is an ingame model.

You can see some of the poly edges in the wing, look at the bottom, its not perfectly smooth. Its a game model. Good one at that too

I doubt it is a texture since I can see between the groves in the picture.

I'm working overtime on my course work at the moment since most of my subjects want it in this week. Need to make sure that I get it done with this patch on the horizon

Keiran
Quote from Jakg :i thought it was because rain came and the teams held out on the slicks, and that caused some serious accident, so the tires were created to not be completely useless in the wet

Having grooved slicks is no different to having a normal slick in the wet because the grooves are not designed to remove water from the contact patch.
Quote from RMachucaA :BTW, for those with a good eye for details, like fellow 3d artists, will notice that the car is an ingame model.

You can see some of the poly edges in the wing, look at the bottom, its not perfectly smooth. Its a game model. Good one at that too

I know very little about 3D modelling and i could see that, lower polys for in game use as i understand it.

And yes its a farking good model, but not accurate to the 2006 BMW Sauber for obvious reasons.
It's quite clear that it is ingame model Just look at the thickness of the front wing.
:woohoo: :bowdown::lfs:

We'll get a real f1 car. The one we have is from like 2000-01'
The WR of Blackwood in F08 is actually VERY close to under 1 minute - its

1.00.530 by biggie
Quote from Rappa Z ::woohoo: :bowdown::lfs:

The FO8 is NOT an F1 car. It's very closely derrived from a particular F3000 car.
Quote from Taavi(EST) :That's one way to see it but here's another: http://www.f1-country.com/f1-engineer/tyres/tyres.html

i'm holding my 100th post for a special occasion now...

I'm not exactly into F1 so I didn't know they actually can choose between tyre widths (according to the source mentioned above - they can). So my question is: do they? Is the widest available size bad for tracks with long straights and not too many turns? And therefore they choose the narrower ones? Could be a nice thing to have the choice in LFS. If the F1 really will be in LFS. And if having the widest tyre isn't the best thing to do at all times
Quote from Rappa Z ::woohoo: :bowdown::lfs:

We don't have one illepall Since when did the 2000-01 F1 cars use V8s and pump out 458bhp?

Anyway everyone knows the fo8 is a formular nippon based car, they just used the Lola Chassis as a base for it.

There are regs that determine the max/min width of tires, so they would use different sizes. They even get tires made overnight if they need a new compound (which Honda do)
I'd be surprised if they used anything else but the max width. Because it gives the max grip. Though with narrower tires you get less air resistance, less weight...
ANY WR now is FAKE and EXPLOIT.

so dont go by the WR's.
Calm down... you thought that devs might got this idea of F1 render just because of the speculation here about the "under one minute F1 car on BL GP" and then there's that Intel-LFS commercial connect which nicely pops up some conspiracy theories?
Quote from RMachucaA :ANY WR now is FAKE and EXPLOIT.

so dont go by the WR's.

?
Current WRs are under the bugged aero and tire physics.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG