Geforce 9600 GT 512mb or 1 GB?
(40 posts, started )
Quote from obsolum :Unfortunately I can't seem to find results for the 9600GT anywhere in them. Or am I just missing them?

Last link certainly had them. But I've just noticed the xbitlabs links weren't working as expected :rolleyes:

Well, nevermind, enjoy your new card
i use an asus en9800gt hybrid power pcie with 512meg ddr3 $225 works wonders for me....video cards are now at ddr5

cpu: intel duel core @ 2gig , 500 gig hdd , 4gig ram , psu asus 650w , asus en9800gt , asus p5q se/r mobo
Alright, a little update.

Like I said I ordered a 9800GT 512MB Tuesday afternoon. The website of the store I ordered it from said there were plenty of these cards in store and so mine should be available for pickup in the shop within 2 days. Today is friday and they still didn't have it in. Now, when it comes to this kind of stuff I have absolutely no patience. So I said "f*ck it" and went to search for the same card elsewhere.

I found a 9800GTX Plus 512MB for € 169 (only € 8 more than the 9800GT I ordered initally). So I bought that, went home, unpacked it.... Jesus, this is one big card At less than half the size my 8400GS looks like a scrawny little thing. It only just fits in my case. There's only one problem: it requires two power connectors (those 6-pin kind), and I've only got one left on my psu It runs with just the one, but obviously not at full power. When Windows boots I get this message telling me that the power supply to the graphics card isn't sufficient and the card has lowered its clock rates to ensure safe operation (smart card!).

So now I'm a bit bummed as I will probably have to buy a new PSU to be able to use this card, even though this one could handle it just fine if it just had one more connector. It's a 550W so that should be enough, I think. I'm even more bummed because I have to work tomorrow, which means that I can't go out shopping for a new PSU, and on Sundays all the stores are closed here so I have no chance of testing this card until next week.

I'll probably be buying a bigger case in the near future because I don't like the way the card is cramped up in there.
Well, good news on the card anyway, the GTX+ is much better than the GT Not sure what to suggest about the PSU though.
Quote from NightShift :If the PSU puts out enough juice on the +12V line (i.e. 550W is not the peak ratio as it is often advertised for cheap PSUs) you could just buy or have made a Y-cable. E.g.

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?CAB-PCIEG

Yeah, I went to look for one of those but they seem hard to find Luckily a friend of mine probably has got one of those things left so I can use that. In the little booklet that came with the card it says that I shouldn't use those things, though, but only PSU's specifically designed to support those cards. But yeah... I'm not worried too much about that
There are only a couple problems you can run into, one I've already said, the other is if the PSU has 'separate 12V rails' with overcurrent protection.

IF the latter is true, you could have the system shut down for too high a draw on a single rail. That happens not because rails are really separated, but rather on many PSUs the overcurrent protection is applied to every single rail (=branch of the main +12V line), as there's some kind of rule dictating that.
Yeah, that's what I thought. I've had that happen before with my previous PSU and a 6600GT. The computer would just shutdown whenever I started a game. I guess I'll just have to give it a try. I don't think LFS will require the card's maximum performance, though. If it proves to be a problem I'll just have to buy a new PSU

It appears my friend can't find his Y-cable so I have to look for one myself. All this hassle for a new graphics card... it had better be worth it!
lol u should see my case.... ive got a thermaltake armor+ damm its big on the inside or u could try the thermaltake swordm but thats like 700-800 buks as for psu anything over 600 watts for big videocards.... i use a 650 watt that i picked up for 99 buks brand new on special
Quote from obsolum :Yeah, that's what I thought. I've had that happen before with my previous PSU and a 6600GT. The computer would just shutdown whenever I started a game. I guess I'll just have to give it a try. I don't think LFS will require the card's maximum performance, though. If it proves to be a problem I'll just have to buy a new PSU

It appears my friend can't find his Y-cable so I have to look for one myself. All this hassle for a new graphics card... it had better be worth it!

You got a 9800.. It will be worth it. Fully.

BTW it should have said where you ordered the card, that it requires min 550W PSU. Good luck, you will be happy when you get it fired up.
Quote from JasonJ :You got a 9800.. It will be worth it. Fully.

BTW it should have said where you ordered the card, that it requires min 550W PSU. Good luck, you will be happy when you get it fired up.

It probably did say that somewhere. That's not the problem, though, I have a 550W PSU so I wasn't worried. I just didn't know that the card would require 2 connectors.

I've obtained another one of those Y-cables, so now I've got two of those, converting 4 flat connectors to 2 of those 6pin connectors. It works, but I'm not really comfortable with it that way. I'd rather have it connected "the right way", ie. two connectors straight from the PSU. I don't think LFS will really tax the card that heavily so for now it'll do, but I'll probably be buying a new PSU somewhere down the line when I've got some money to spare again.

I briefly fired up LFS to change some settings according to Jakg's guide. The FPS seemed to stay constant at a solid 100 (capped) with all the settings in LFS maxed out and 16x AA and AF and a high-res texture pack installed (I believe), though I haven't tried running a full grid of AI's yet. More extensive testing will have to wait until tomorrow, I'm afraid, but I'm confident that this card will be able to handle anything LFS throws at it.
Grats on your new video card! That's a lot better than the 9600GT you considered. According to Tom's Hardware it's on average 36% better at 1680x1050. I'd say that justifies the price gap!

Now you've got to get some other games and see what your card can do..
Quote from Gnomie :Now you've got to get some other games and see what your card can do..

Yeah... except there aren't really any games that interest me. Come to think of it, ever since I bought my S2 license in May 2007 I've hardly played anything else Then again, I've never really looked at other games because I knew I couldn't play them anyway

See ya in a few hours!
A 9600GT is more than enough for LFS, at that resolution and modded all the way. I ran LFS with a 8600GTOC at the same resolution, maxed out entirely and the frame rate was always great, mostly over 100, as high as 140, as low as high 30's at the back of a grid.

Regardless I went from a 8600GT to the same card as you, 9800GTX+ 1GB. Paid $159 about a month ago, and got a great deal on a power supply.

I've seen many ppl use the molex-pci-e adapters and if it were unsafe I don't think they'd advise it on websites, it's very common to power a card this way, as long as you have the power, you're fine. Those adapters actually come with most video cards, so I'm sure you're safe.

Anyways, the performance is great, it's about as good as there is below the GTX 200 series cards, and a few from ATI. It runs just behind the Radeon 4870 in most cases, and right around the 4850, but usually ahead. Um, I play far cry 2 maxed out, Crysis on high, with a few settings at ultra, at an average of mid 30's fps. At times a nice 60 or so, when just wandering around without fighting. Frames get down into the 30's when in areas with many buildings. Other than Crysis, the video card owns every game I play, so I bought a second, and ran it in SLI. Future proof, while they're cheap. Point is don't worry, LFS is gonna be nothing for that card, it won't even get warm. I even ran Stalker - Clear Sky on maximum settings in DX10 mode, a great looking game, just behind Crysis, and IMO better than Far Cry 2. In benchmarks the 1GB did outrun the 512MB at high resolutions, 1680x1050 is right in the middle where it almost doesn't matter, although I'd prefer to up my frame buffer and have the extra memory. Good luck with the card, that's a huge upgrade, I basically made the same upgrade as you, with very similar specs, and I was blown away at how good the card runs compared to the 8600GT, and how cool it runs, an doesn't draw loads of power like a 8800GTX does. I reccommend running two in SLI, and you can get the card for much less than what you paid, shop online! You'll be good for several years.

Now all that's left, me and you alike, grab a nice quad core someday, me especially, damn 90nm windsor, runs HOTTT. With my board purchase, I'll be going with the Phenom II, hopefully black edition, depends on tax stimulus check lol. Although I admit Intel may be better performing for the $$. Honestly tho, if your board will support a E8XXX CPU, man....those things perform just awesome, and I heard they OC just perfect, unlike AMD. Mine is Black Edition, but it's already nearly maxed, I barely got what I got and only did it with clever and $$ cooling, air tho no liquid.

Jeez I'm ranting on and on lol, love talking about video cards. You made a badass purchase, you're gonna be blown away being able to play games in your native resolution, I mean I had the 8600GTOC, overclocked heavily, much faster than 95% of ppl running a 8600GT(not that I did anything special, most just don't OC) and it's just crazy the difference in performance and power usage. My 8600GTOC, stock, hit 75c on most games, after my OC nearly 85C, kinda high, but I didn't care, I guess in a way I wanted it to break lol. Also you now have Nvidia Physx acceleration, if you at some point get a game that supports it, it's uber awesome.

Geforce 9600 GT 512mb or 1 GB?
(40 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG