The online racing simulator
Drop in frames since new processor
(58 posts, started )
sssshheeiiit.
Maybe you had that card switched on, which might be interferring with your other card? Does that mobo have some sort of hybrid sli? If so windows 7 might be trying to use that seeing as hybrid sli has no compatibility with windows XP you wouldn't have had the problem before.
The problem never occurred before though, i've been on W7 for about 8 weeks now, done 2 hours in a row on LFS with not so much as a tiny drop of frames.

I'm thinking more mobo problems now, but tbh, I wanna burn it, seems reasonable.
Hybrid SLI with VIA card? :|
Ok mo****as.

It's making some sense now. Basicly the problem came when the new prcoessor went in, tried to suck lots of power and the PSU couldn't handle it. When I was removing the PSU for the new one I noticed that the cable for the motherboard power was very stiff, but I just thought it was like that because it had been in for so long.

However my old man is an electrician and he was explaining to me that it might be one of the power connectors in the Mobo and that the connector pins in the Mobo will expand if they heat up too much. Then I remembered about the cable from before being allmost stuck in the board.

So my problem is the main connector for the Mobo heating up and sucking more energy, causing it to heat even more causing in power to be lost and it wanting to suck more energy.

I have the pc out and on it's side (I done this with the old chip so I could do the MoE) with the case off and I put the new chip in once again, sure enough after a while (Not as fast as before) I suffered frame drops, but not anywhere near as serious before, only down to 40fps. Then it would go back up to normal, few mins later the same again.

I put my trusty fan over the pc pointing into the main cable and left it running for about half an hour with no frame drops what soever.

So basicly i'm gunna get some electrical appliance cleaner, clean up the socket and try to fix the little pins inside the bad connector, if not then i'll ge a new mobo.

Thanks for all the help.
Quote from Bawbag :Ok mo****as.

It's making some sense now. Basicly the problem came when the new prcoessor went in, tried to suck lots of power and the PSU couldn't handle it. When I was removing the PSU for the new one I noticed that the cable for the motherboard power was very stiff, but I just thought it was like that because it had been in for so long.

However my old man is an electrician and he was explaining to me that it might be one of the power connectors in the Mobo and that the connector pins in the Mobo will expand if they heat up too much. Then I remembered about the cable from before being allmost stuck in the board.

So my problem is the main connector for the Mobo heating up and sucking more energy, causing it to heat even more causing in power to be lost and it wanting to suck more energy.

I have the pc out and on it's side (I done this with the old chip so I could do the MoE) with the case off and I put the new chip in once again, sure enough after a while (Not as fast as before) I suffered frame drops, but not anywhere near as serious before, only down to 40fps. Then it would go back up to normal, few mins later the same again.

I put my trusty fan over the pc pointing into the main cable and left it running for about half an hour with no frame drops what soever.

So basicly i'm gunna get some electrical appliance cleaner, clean up the socket and try to fix the little pins inside the bad connector, if not then i'll ge a new mobo.

Thanks for all the help.

<-- Me right now as im reading ur post..

"So my problem is the main connector for the Mobo heating up and sucking more energy, causing it to heat even more causing in power to be lost and it wanting to suck more energy."

YES, ofc! Why didnt I think of that? Oh wait, for it to heat up that much i think u need to shortcircuit it. And for that to be possible u need to not have a grounded computer i think.. So something must be REALLY screwed if im not totally mistaken here..
Nice sarcasm, clearly your understanding of how things can simply deteriorate over time is flawed.

If you have nothing usefull to say then why even say something at all?

The only reason i'm posting what the problem is so when any one of the people reading the thread will know to check this if they ever have a similar problem.
#58 - arco
Sorry to say Ray, but after some digging on the net, it seems that putting a 125w cpu on a motherboard designed for 95w cpu's, puts a good deal of stress on the PWM and the motherboard. So much that it shortens the lifespan of the mb by quite a lot, and the risk of frying components. What I think might be happening, is that the bios senses overheating in some components, hence why it's doing the throttling. I'm also reading that motherboards that supports 125w cpu's is supposed to have a 8 pin (4+4) 12V ATX power connector.

Anyway, try that thing with the socket. Can't hurt to try it.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG