The online racing simulator
http://twitter.jamesallenonf1.com/live better than the other link i think.

1.P. de la Rosa BMW Sauber 1:12.784 59 pit
2.F. Massa Ferrari F10 1:12.842 +0.058 83 pit
3.M. Schumacher Mercedes GP 1:13.449 +0.665 23 pit
4.N. Rosberg Mercedes GP 1:13.543 +0.759 39 pit
5.G. Paffett McLaren MP4-25 1:13.846 +1.062 70 pit
6.R. Barrichello Williams1:14.449 +1.665 68 pit
7.R. Kubica Renault R30 1:15.298 +2.514 37 pit
8.S. Buemi Toro Rosso 1:19.279 +6.495 8 pit
The more and more I look at these cars, the more odd they look, I'm sure we'll all get used to them.

But yeah, the wheelbase relative to tyre diameter and the track width is really out, the cars should be wider.
Toro Roso. 6sec off.
8.S. Buemi Toro Rosso 1:19.279 +6.495 8 pit

Toro Rosso done 8 laps then broke.

edit: ninja fu
Ahh. I see. Thanks

Mclaren. A second off....

Hope its just Paffett slacking.

Also, is there actually a point where the car is too slow to be allowed to race as it might be a danger to others?
the McLaren and the Ferrari have a triple diffuser, the rest only seem to have a double.

The Mercedes kind of has a triple but not really..

the old 107% rule? It was taken out but if a car is truely too slow the marshalls have the right to black flag it, under common sense I suppose.
Quote from JJ72 :the old 107% rule? It was taken out but if a car is truely too slow the marshalls have the right to black flag it, under common sense I suppose.

Yeah I knew about the old 107 rule. But the second bit answered it.
Quote from JJ72 :the old 107% rule? It was taken out but if a car is truely too slow the marshalls have the right to black flag it, under common sense I suppose.

I'd be surprised if they deploy the black flag during private testings. The Renaults didn't get any problem at the Hungaroring GP, during the official practice, while testing their car on SC conditions, 30 seconds off the pace. And this was with 20 cars, while you rarely have more than 3-4 cars on track in the same time during private testing.
I doubt the teams would have the trick parts on right now surely? Would give the game away too quick, infact i wouldn't be suprised if they put something not too good but looks revolutionary like the triple diffusers, so the other teams spend all their time trying to make one when they're not as good as the double or something?
Limited testing so I doubt they'd try anything pointless to fool the other teams. there is not enough time. With the fuel load thing I'd imagine the overall times are less relevant than last year.
Yeah but it doesn't seem right to test the trick parts now because they're giving the other teams more time to develop it. Wouldn't it be best to keep it until the last few tests?
Quote from tristancliffe :Don't see how that works aerodynamically. If the void (where the air would separate from the surface of the car and become turbulent, massively increasing drag) is meant to be filled with exhaust gasses, then lifting off the throttle (e.g. into a braking zone) would disrupt everything, causing massive losses of downforce.

But presumably they'd have thought of that. I just don't see any benefits, unless it's forced on them by packaging constraints and bodywork restrictions (i.e. no bodywork allowed in the area near the wheel/wishbones)...

Perhaps that exhaust area is also an outlet for the air from the radiators too.
Quote from pearcy_2k7 :Yeah but it doesn't seem right to test the trick parts now because they're giving the other teams more time to develop it. Wouldn't it be best to keep it until the last few tests?

If they had a full winter of testing maybe. I don't they can waste time trying trick bits. They have 14 days or whatever to get cars ready for Bahrain. We will only see trick bits if there are fundamental flaws with the car. I am thinking back to McLaren last year when it was panic stations.
I was right, listen to that Sauber HOOOWWLL
For once I'm with Intrepid.

It's way too late and the teams are far too busy to start developing some 'trick parts' just because they've seen them on other cars.

That sort of thing comes after they've sorted the problems from the first race car, which itself is just a bodge of the problems they encountered with the launch car.

Something as fundamental as a diffuser could also take a huge effort to implement. For example, Red Bull switching to the double diffuser was a huge effort, and even then they did it in two stages.
Yeah i accept that they probably won't put parts on cars to get the other teams guessing. But surely they won't be using their best diffusers etc for the other teams to copy so early on in the testing?
HHmm.. everyone is reading from the same page now in regards to diffusers. Unlike last year where teams HAD to integrate a DD diffuser into the cars because it was clearly better, this year each diffuser is tailor made for each car. No one is going to find a loophole everyone MUST take advantage of once revealed.

Also one team's concept might not work on other team's car. Teams would have to divert huge resources copying other concepts that may turn out to be useless on their car.

Teams resources are best spent worrying about their own car and trying to improve that with the 14 days they have. If another teams copies theor idea then that's tough.

lol UH OH Macca already on the flow jiz
Quote from pearcy_2k7 :Yeah i accept that they probably won't put parts on cars to get the other teams guessing. But surely they won't be using their best diffusers etc for the other teams to copy so early on in the testing?

Testing an aero-package without the appropriate diffuser is useless.
So if you had an awesome car part, that no-one else has thought of and it was easy to replicate like say 2 weeks to make it, you would have it on the car at this test??

Formula One Season 2010
(1980 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG