The online racing simulator
H.I.D (High Intensity Discharge)
(134 posts, started )
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Basically Occams Razor is "the simplest explanation is probably the correct one"

No it isn't, which is why I linked you to the Wikipedia entry. Sadly you chose not to read it.

Quote from S14 DRIFT :Basically it's a simple theory for simple minded people.

No, it's an approach to unknowns (or presently-unknowables) based on heuristics. It's not a theory, it's a practice.

Quote from S14 DRIFT :What you've done is compare 3 young men, who are white however appear to think they're black (so a minority) to what is not the minority (people who have HID's or Xenons).

Because practically all the people with christmas lights on their shitty cars are chavvy cretins like the three boys photographed above.

Quote from S14 DRIFT :The "twat" who drives by may be a kind person, a wonderful husband and a loving father who just happens to be a well respected professional.

This is indeed true and it's a point I conceded twice already, however it's unlikely enough to dismiss out of hand. These people - actually I'll say 'boys' because it's nearly always boys who live at home with their mums and have the disposable income to glue blingy shite to their cars - are mostly twats.
Quote from thisnameistaken :No it isn't, which is why I linked you to the Wikipedia entry. Sadly you chose not to read it.

Yeah, sorry...too tired. I did scan it though...I read the first chunk as it were...

Quote :That is, the Razor is a principle that suggests we should tend towards simpler theories (see justifications section below) until we can trade some simplicity for increased explanatory power

I read that as simpler until it can be quantumly justified.

Quote :No, it's an approach to unknowns (or presently-unknowables) based on heuristics. It's not a theory, it's a practice.

Based upon general patterns, puts me in mind of the Anti-Virus programs which use Heuristics and look how many false positives they recieve.

Unknown is that you don't know what type of car of what type of driver may have their HIDs or Xenons fited. It may be a dick but on balance it may be a nice, respectable man. So we have two ends of the scale, why do you have to place all the weight on the "dick" side but none on the "nice/respectable" side. It's about balance, maybe you could not get frustrated, or assume peoplpe are dicks.

Quote :Because practically all the people with christmas lights on their shitty cars are chavvy cretins like the three boys photographed above.

With neons etc, yes, I would tend to agree, but not all out - For example, I wasn't with my Corsa, but now I have a Golf which is the kind of car I wanted to begin with. With just small mods, subtle changes and HID/Xenons, no, I couldn't count those as Christmas lights, etc.

Quote :his is indeed true and it's a point I conceded twice already, however it's unlikely enough to dismiss out of hand. These people - actually I'll say 'boys' because it's nearly always boys who live at home with their mums and have the disposable income to glue blingy shite to their cars - are mostly twats.

Most of the properly chavved up car owners tend to live at home, and however irritating that may be to you and me, there's not much we can do about it.

But then again..

Is the drive at the bottom a dick, or a proffesional?

Again, dick or a nice guy?

Okay, probably a dick.

I googled HID lights and got this...

Dick or loving husband?

I mean, we can't all judge people by first appearances, personally or based on their vehicle, and that's my whole point. It really used to get to me when I'd pull up at the lights in my old Corsa, people would give me that horrible look, probably thinking in the same mindset as you, but they didn't know me, or even give a thought I may just be a fairly nice person who isn't really into all of the chavvy stuff.

Just try it, to not cast judgement. The world may turn into a much happier place.
-
(S14 DRIFT) DELETED by S14 DRIFT : Duplicate.
Quote from danowat :I cycle 90% of the time now, what on earth does that make the size of my penis

irrelevant

cycling puts pressure on the blood vessels leading to the penis and the tissue at the base of the penis which will eventually lead to impotence
and no girls going to want you with a flaccid penis no matter how huge it is
So kev, lets assume that i went out and bought one of these swanky new Mercedes with the flashy or as you call it "chavvy" lights, you expect me to remove them? because it hurts your eyes and i look like a twat? Please justify your logic.
Quote from 91mason91 :So kev, lets assume that i went out and bought one of these swanky new Mercedes with the flashy or as you call it "chavvy" lights, you expect me to remove them? because it hurts your eyes and i look like a twat? Please justify your logic.

I have a couple of conflicting feelings about this. Firstly the lamps in the photo above don't look nearly as bad as the stupid wanker lights that children put on their mum's cars (although back in the day it was rally-style halogens so I suppose it's nothing new) although that photo might've been altered and/or it's impossible to tell what they would look like from an oncoming car on an unlit road, maybe worse.

Secondly I don't understand people who buy Mercs anyway. People in BMWs I get - they are ****s - but people in Mercs are probably just a bit thick, or they are old people with haemorrhoids so bad that they need the comfiest seats that money can be wasted on.
Quote from 91mason91 :So kev, lets assume that i went out and bought one of these swanky new Mercedes with the flashy or as you call it "chavvy" lights, you expect me to remove them? because it hurts your eyes and i look like a twat? Please justify your logic.

None of those lights are OEM - they are all the "wrong" colour temp to be able to see best, and they all appear to be (glare city) reflectors as well.

Spot the difference between HID's in reflectors:

And OEM stuff in projectors:

Quote from thisnameistaken :I have a couple of conflicting feelings about this. Firstly the lamps in the photo above don't look nearly as bad as the stupid wanker lights that children put on their mum's cars (although back in the day it was rally-style halogens so I suppose it's nothing new) although that photo might've been altered and/or it's impossible to tell what they would look like from an oncoming car on an unlit road, maybe worse.

Secondly I don't understand people who buy Mercs anyway. People in BMWs I get - they are ****s - but people in Mercs are probably just a bit thick, or they are old people with haemorrhoids so bad that they need the comfiest seats that money can be wasted on.

They arn't actually that bad driving towards someone with them installed. Yes they are bright but once you put them in low beam they are more than bare-able. I still havn't seen anyone running about with those blue "chavvy" lights yet though.
Quote from 91mason91 :They arn't actually that bad driving towards someone with them installed. Yes they are bright but once you put them in low beam they are more than bare-able. I still havn't seen anyone running about with those blue "chavvy" lights yet though.

I think I first came across them on a Mondeo in 1997. A Mondeo. :rolleyes:
Does anyone else find the Bi-Xenons in new Audi's really really freaking bright?

H.I.D (High Intensity Discharge)
(134 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG