The online racing simulator
Quote from PMD9409 :They should glow in the dark.

+ undercar neon would make night racing a real spectacle! Oh,don't forget flames out of exhausts!
Dover race is on Youtube though, it wasn't actually that good, the track wasn't suited for Indy.
Quote from Cornys :A race that I'd like to see again

I wasn't able to see that race, nor do I know much about it, but I beleive that Dover would be a good and safe place for them to go

Edit: Track might be a bit bumpy for ... e a race like this again

"Safe"? Uhm. There were a couple of real scary crashes that day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37Kpsi8oxvo

http://www.trackforum.com/foru ... &highlight=dover+1999

Quote :The 1999 race is on Youtube if you do a search.

The worst thing about running there was due to the design of the track, you couldn't just hit one wall, you ricocheted off two or three, destroying several corners of the car.

So many cars were total losses that it decreased car counts for the next couple of races.

Yes there were. It was a moderatly low speed event though and it was a low $ time of the IndyCar Series (pole speed was under 185 mph). I've always enjoyed the tracks that are difficult and Dover for open wheel cars would definitly be just that with its bumps
Quote from Cornys :Yes there were. It was a moderatly low speed event though and it was a low $ time of the IndyCar Series (pole speed was under 185 mph). I've always enjoyed the tracks that are difficult and Dover for open wheel cars would definitly be just that with its bumps

Well yea, but speed wasn't really the issue. The real problem was that the track was so narrow, the banking was so steep, and the racing line was relatively high, so whenever someone wrecked he was bouncing back into the racing line pretty quick, and then to the infield.

Furthermore 185 mph is still pretty quick for a one mile oval, especially with the cars of that time.
Quote from GreyBull [CHA] :Furthermore 185 mph is still pretty quick for a one mile oval, especially with the cars of that time.

What were the power numbers at that time?
Quote from Cornys :What were the power numbers at that time?

I'm not entirely sure, but AFAIK they were consequently lower than the pre-1995 CART(and 1996 IRL) numbers. The cars had been pretty much dumbed down after the 1996 season, in order to be more cost effective - as part of TG's "vision".
Ah, that would explain the slower lap time than what I had expected.
Please note that they were also running Dover before the SAFER barriers.

Scary shit IMO.
Wouldn't a SAFER barrier actually narrow down the usable track by a few inches though and (as seen in NASCAR) cause cars to still catapult back across the track?
Yes, I'm just commenting on the idea of pitching an Indycar into one of those monster corners as being terrifying.
Yeah Dover is a roller coaster because of it's monster elevation changes. Thinking of IndyCar going there is just scary.
I remember JackDaMaster Streaming a fixed Set iracing Race from dover with the dallara ir-05 Honda. The Cars were bottoming quiet a Lot and when some One hit the Outside Wall, Cars were thrown back to the inside. Even in regards of that only being an iracing Public Race, it would scare me if they Return to the Monster Mile. (BTW my Last Memory of indycars in concrete is the Inaugural Race at the Sambodrom Sao Paulo. That did Not go too well back then.)
As far as concrete racing goes, Dover and Sao Paolo weren't the only two, you also had Cleveland and Nashville too
Quote from TFalke55 :I remember JackDaMaster Streaming a fixed Set iracing Race from dover with the dallara ir-05 Honda. The Cars were bottoming quiet a Lot and when some One hit the Outside Wall, Cars were thrown back to the inside. Even in regards of that only being an iracing Public Race, it would scare me if they Return to the Monster Mile. (BTW my Last Memory of indycars in concrete is the Inaugural Race at the Sambodrom Sao Paulo. That did Not go too well back then.)

Only the main straight was in concrete, and the start was a major fail because it had been varnished a couple weeks before for the Carnaval.
New car is almost a 1.5 seconds quicker than old car in St. Peteersburg

Let's just hope this doesn't carry over to the ovals
Quote from Cornys :New car is almost a 1.5 seconds quicker than old car in St. Peteersburg

Jesus, can we cut the paranoia, puleease? Dan Wheldon got killed because they put 200 cars in a cupboard. That won't happen for the near future, so it's all right if they are faster in ovals.
Quote from Cornys :New car is almost a 1.5 seconds quicker than old car in St. Peteersburg

Please never talk about ovals in this thread again because its clear you don't know shit

btw the aim was for them to be faster at indy this year so suck it
I'll withold my opinions on the matter from here on out.
Well 1.5s faster on ovals would mean about 14mph higher on a track like las vegas for example. 236mph instead of 222mph.
Quote from Hyperactive :Well 1.5s faster on ovals would mean about 14mph higher on a track like las vegas for example. 236mph instead of 222mph.

Obviously they won't gain 1.5 seconds at an oval because there are less turns, unless the time's gained in the straights .. maybe more like .5 of a second or so on tracks like Texas and 1 second at Indy.
Quote from Cornys :Obviously they won't gain 1.5 seconds at an oval because there are less turns, unless the time's gained in the straights .. maybe more like .5 of a second or so on tracks like Texas and 1 second at Indy.

Well the lap record at Indy (237.498 mph) is 10mph faster than last years pole speed = roughly 1.5 seconds faster.

Depends of which times you're using I guess.

Quote from Purist on Ten Tenths forum :The IndyCar record is 61.603 seconds set in 2010 (ICS first visited in 2005).

The ChampCar record is 60.928 seconds set in 2003 (CART's only visit in 2003).

For the record the fastest time so far was 61.892 set by Pagenaud in Free Practice 3. Of course the time will most likely be beaten in qualifying.

Now the kerbs have been changed, so this is probably the reason why the times aren't faster(yet)...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/98306

2012 IndyCar Series
(957 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG