The online racing simulator
Jr, y u wreck my fantasy team?
Stream back up now for the final laps.

Edit: http://www.livestream.com/arox123 if you didn't know

20 ish laps to go.
Quote from Rappa Z :Is it just me or does the crowd look a little thin this year?

I know there's a lot of seats but IMHO this is one of the few tracks that is a must see.

Always is. 120,000 attendance last year.. about that today. Yeah.. my fantacy team died, but BK saved me.. a little bit

Edit: I stand corrected. Attendance was only 102,000 today (down 18,000 from last year, but rain was forcasted, so walk-up crowd was likely down by a figure around 5,000)
I guess more people just show up for the night race.

Edit: 5 minute stat lookup agrees. Night race sells out or get close to it.
Ooof... I left Mark Martin in... can't I just get the 55's points from this weekend?
He is very impressive in the truck series normally. Surprised that he won at Bristol of all places though.

Speaking of Bristol, Bruton Smith is talking about maybe changing the track back to Pre-2007 (when it sold out 55 races in a row). Final decision should be known by the end of the week. If they change, Smith said it would be done before the August night race.
Quote from PMD9409 :Speaking of Bristol, Bruton Smith is talking about maybe changing the track back to Pre-2007 (when it sold out 55 races in a row). Final decision should be known by the end of the week. If they change, Smith said it would be done before the August night race.

You have a link to back that up? Tickets will definitely go fast if they change the track back, and we're planning on going this year. If they're going to do this we'd definitely get our tickets now.

Edit: Here it is:

http://espn.go.com/racing/nasc ... owner-considering-changes
Are people really not showing up to Bristol now because it offers side by side racing?
Yeah sorry on my phone and was too lazy to pull out the link. He is supposedly taking tweets too from fans. I wish tracks were always designed with a huge fan backing. Would have tracks with much more character IMO.
Quote from Rappa Z :Are people really not showing up to Bristol now because it offers side by side racing?

Nascar writer Jeff Gluck put it better than I ever could:

Quote :"Bristol is no longer a must-attend event. When the track had one groove and drivers had to bump their way past competitors to gain track position, the Bristol race was like watching a NASCAR bullfight.

Fans came to see cars rubbing fenders and tempers and crashes, and the drama required everyone to be glued to their seats to see what would happen next. If you liked NASCAR, you had to be there; if you weren't there, you were jealous of those who scored a coveted ticket.

Not anymore. Bristol now has side-by-side racing, but it also has long, green-flag runs and few crashes. The official race report listed just one multi-car crash in Sunday's race.

That's not the Bristol racing most fans really want, but many people in the industry are still having trouble accepting it.

The purists continue to talk about "real racing" and try to guilt those of us who enjoyed the old Bristol drama into feeling bad about it. Their oft-repeated stance is if fans can't find a way to enjoy the new Bristol racing – the cleaner, tamer kind – then they're not real NASCAR fans.

I disagree. The purists are missing a key point: "Real racing" occurs at nearly every other track in every other week. The places fans want to see side-by-side excitement is at 1.5-mile intermediate tracks, not a half-mile short track where drivers should have to root and gouge for every position.

Bristol was once a must-see because it was unique. But since the reconfiguration, the racing seems to be about the same as at every other track."

True, I just find it funny that we are protesting what is still very good racing.

Could you imagine people complaining about an f1 race because there were too many passes?
If Americans just wanna see on track violence then that reduces my faith in the American population.

Pump and run is the most cowardly tactic of racing. Would be much like tripping a fellow olympic competitor for the win in a running competition.
Quote from BlueFlame :If Americans just wanna see on track violence then that reduces my faith in the American population.

Pump and run is the most cowardly tactic of racing. Would be much like tripping a fellow olympic competitor for the win in a running competition.

its bump and run. and I don't mind seeing bump and run on really slow cars, but I like the reconfiguration
http://www.nascar.com/news/120 ... ties-rescinded/index.html

Johnson's penalties have been all-but removed. $100,000 fine remains, but points and suspensions have been rescided on the 48. This is likey a result of the fact that the car never turns an official lap on the track.

The bump and run is something foreign to you guys in other countries, but here in America it is tradition. I enjoyed the old configuration a little bit more due to the fact that it was more traditional, but the new configuration is just as good. Either way the fastest driver usually wins because if you can't reach the guy in front of you you can't force him out of the line with your front bumper.

People yell at Americans for being closed minded, but I guess it's a universal thing
Quote from Cornys :http://www.nascar.com/news/120 ... ties-rescinded/index.html

Johnson's penalties have been all-but removed. $100,000 fine remains, but points and suspensions have been rescided on the 48. This is likey a result of the fact that the car never turns an official lap on the track.

The bump and run is something foreign to you guys in other countries, but here in America it is tradition. I enjoyed the old configuration a little bit more due to the fact that it was more traditional, but the new configuration is just as good. Either way the fastest driver usually wins because if you can't reach the guy in front of you you can't force him out of the line with your front bumper.

People yell at Americans for being closed minded, but I guess it's a universal thing

So racing unfairly and driving like a dick is tradition? And you wonder why people outside of US don't take NASCAR seriously....
Quote from BlueFlame :So racing unfairly and driving like a dick is tradition? And you wonder why people outside of US don't take NASCAR seriously....

There's nothing unfair about the bump and run. Maybe the guy who didn't yeild the best line to the guy running behind him who he was holding up is the dick, but in either case if the person who was bumped would have out ran the person who nudged him out of the line then it wouldn't happen.

NASCAR is an American sport just like football (soccer) is an everything but an American sport. It won't and shouldn't attempt to please the international crowd who doesn't understand or enjoy the tradition of the sport unless the American crowd approves as well.
Quote from Cornys :There's nothing unfair about the bump and run. Maybe the guy who didn't yeild the best line to the guy running behind him who he was holding up is the dick, but in either case if the person who was bumped would have out ran the person who nudged him out of the line then it wouldn't happen.

NASCAR is an American sport just like football (soccer) is an everything but an American sport. It won't and shouldn't attempt to please the international crowd who doesn't understand or enjoy the tradition of the sport unless the American crowd approves as well.

Then do you not think the spirit of NASCAR reflects America's people badly?

Since the majority of the world sees you guys as gun nuts or gung ho hicks ready for a fight?
BlueFlame. 1. You are an idiot. 2. I am a NASCAR Fan, (along with F1 etc) being a NASCAR fan does not make me a hick. So please shut up until you can use knowledgeable information in your posts. The bump and run is used as a tactic in NASCAR, although dirty it can be used to nudge the car ahead slightly. I don't agree with it when used to win a race unless the following car is clearly going to take the inside line.
Since when has bump and run been for nascar only? I've done it loads of time in real life in formula fords... Probably what got me the Formula Ford Festival.

It's not a tradition, it's a villain move, strategic villain if you may.
The way I see it is this: NASCAR is all about risk management. You can only do so much, because there is some degree of randomness. But what you can do, is cut down the chances that a random event occurs to you. Running at the front all day reduces the likelihood someone spins in front of you, etc.

Now, when NASCAR gets into panel bashing, it's the same thing. You may win temporarily, but you best believe that guy wants to get back at you somehwere down the line, so it better be worth it. And if you get a reputation for that sort of thing, you can either make it work for you, or get haunted by it. It's all in how you manage the risk, and choose your moment.
Quote from Dennis93 :Since when has bump and run been for nascar only? I've done it loads of time in real life in formula fords... Probably what got me the Formula Ford Festival.

It's not a tradition, it's a villain move, strategic villain if you may.

Yes, but its most famous in NASCAR
Quote from Mustangman759 :BlueFlame. 1. You are an idiot. 2. I am a NASCAR Fan, (along with F1 etc) being a NASCAR fan does not make me a hick. So please shut up until you can use knowledgeable information in your posts.

I didn't say it's what I thought. I was saying that's the impression NASCAR/US gives to other countries. It's not a prejudice of mine, it's a common opinion of the rest of the world. I love NASCAR, but it just needs to be more of a professional sport and leave some of the traditions behind. Just like the american political model. It's outdated as hell.
Quote from BlueFlame :I didn't say it's what I thought. I was saying that's the impression NASCAR/US gives to other countries. It's not a prejudice of mine, it's a common opinion of the rest of the world. I love NASCAR, but it just needs to be more of a professional sport and leave some of the traditions behind. Just like the american political model. It's outdated as hell.

I hadn't realised that the rest of the world had appointed you as our spokesman, my apologies.

Anyway, there is far more bump and run, rubbing, crashing etc in the BTCC and WTCC than there is in Nascar. Does that make them dicks too?

2012 Nascar Thread for Rednecks
(1589 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG