The online racing simulator
Currrent cheat situation
(47 posts, started )
Quote from Avraham Vandezwin :THANK YOU Thumbs up. I understand now Smile (I drive with the clutch pedal with basic G25/G27 hardware).

Am I to understand that this is some kind of...cheating? Or not ? Shy

Edit: clarification
I don't mention some laps specifically. I often drive the FZR. So I looked at some of the FZR WRs. The shorter tracks, but others too. I noticed that the accelerator pedal was released when decelerating and not when upshifting. I haven't checked all of the WRs but I imagine everyone does the same thing with all cars.It's just weird.

No lift upshifting is an easy way to gain a bit of time (in an H pattern) and probably most if not all WRs do that. Hurts the clutch so not widely used in racing (at least not in all upshifts) but considering anyone can use it, I wouldn't call it cheating. Especially that you can do it in real life as well, though that's a bit more expensive there Smile
Quote from Sobis :No lift upshifting is an easy way to gain a bit of time (in an H pattern) and probably most if not all WRs do that. Hurts the clutch so not widely used in racing (at least not in all upshifts) but considering anyone can use it, I wouldn't call it cheating. Especially that you can do it in real life as well, though that's a bit more expensive there Smile

Big grin I'm no expert, but I'm not going to try it on my real car. I don't think the gearbox would appreciate a forced shift with the accelerator pedal on the floor. As for the clutch... Schwitz

It's weird to want realism in a car simulation and to drive so unrealistically. Just to make a fake VR.Shrug

What I still don't understand is why it's not possible (or why I failed?) to do this with a normal setup. Should a button be used instead of the accelerator pedal? That's it ? It would take a special category of VRs with the magic button.Tilt
Quote from Avraham Vandezwin :Big grin I'm no expert, but I'm not going to try it on my real car. I don't think the gearbox would appreciate a forced shift with the accelerator pedal on the floor. As for the clutch... Schwitz

It's weird to want realism in a car simulation and to drive so unrealistically. Just to make a fake VR.Shrug

What I still don't understand is why it's not possible (or why I failed?) to do this with a normal setup. Should a button be used instead of the accelerator pedal? That's it ? It would take a special category of VRs with the magic button.Tilt

Some concessions need to be made for hardware limitations. Currently there's only 1 pieces hardware out there that can properly simulate a proper H-pattern gearbox and it's expensive, no sim support and doesn't look like anyone has really bought it. The software is basically "canned" to unlock the gates when clutch is depressed or if the revs from the sim are at a certain position. Not really realistic either.

This has been a discussion over on the iRacing forums and one of the devs has been pretty active about it as well as explaining that it _could_ be possible with the data that iRacing has, but hardware would need to advance first. And to make up for the lack of peoples hardware, the gearbox simulation has a further abstraction on top to deal with the simplified hardware that people have

Right now the closest to "simulating" a gearbox are some shifters that interface with the pedals (mechanically) and lock the gear gate until the clutch is depressed but that's not something a game is aware of either.
Quote from gu3st :Some concessions need to be made for hardware limitations.

Smile I understand what you are saying and it is a fascinating subject. But what I'm talking about is much more trivial.Shrug

This is to sanction the non-use of a control command, regardless of the equipment used.

Currently the code knows if I'm overheating my clutch. If I use pedals on axis and I go up a gear with the accelerator pedal pressed, my gearbox does not explode (which is a shame). But I quickly understand that I have no interest in doing so, because I'm wasting time.

If I use the automatic clutch, the code decides the shift time.

On the other hand, if I use an on/off button for the accelerator (or any other trick) and I deliberately leave it pressed when shifting up a gear, I am faster. It is a deliberately abnormal way of driving intended to deceive people. Especially if I claim to drive an H-speed gearbox.

There is no reason for the code not to be able to detect the non-use of a control command. And if the code doesn't, it's easy to see it and identify fake world records.

(don't take it the wrong waySmile) There is a difference between "concessions" and tacit connivance.

Footnote : I was just asking a question to improve my knowledge, on a topic about cheating. I got my answer. I didn't want to start a controversy or a witch hunt. For me, it's been a long time since I solved the problem. I don't play online. I don't post my times. LFS is my favourite game, I don't play (anymore) anything else. But if I had to start a career online, as i speak, i would choose another game, that's for sure. Fortunately, the new physics will finally sweep away all that and we will finally start again on new and healthier foundations (at least I hope).
Quote from Avraham Vandezwin :
On the other hand, if I use an on/off button for the accelerator (or any other trick) and I deliberately leave it pressed when shifting up a gear, I am faster. It is a deliberately abnormal way of driving intended to deceive people. Especially if I claim to drive an H-speed gearbox.

the accelerator control has nothing to do with, it's about using the clutch with a fast acting button.
And it's not about deceiving anybody, but rather getting a few hundreths to tenths of laptime.
People who know will spot it pretty quickly.

Quote from Avraham Vandezwin :
There is no reason for the code not to be able to detect the non-use of a control command. And if the code doesn't, it's easy to see it and identify fake world records.

Not sure what you mean by non-use of a control command, those laps mentioned above definitely use the clutch, albeit in a manner debated above. On topic of being 'fake' this has been discussed before with people proposing some possible solutions, yet nothing happened so far.
For me as long as you're not using any 3rd party software and solely provisions provided by the game, it's fine.It's exactly the same as real life racing pushing all the gray areas they can to get an advantage.

FYI: button clutch is banned on pretty much any online racing server.
Quote from johneysvk :the accelerator control has nothing to do with, it's about using the clutch with a fast acting button.
And it's not about deceiving anybody, but rather getting a few hundreths to tenths of laptime.
People who know will spot it pretty quickly.

Not sure what you mean by non-use of a control command, those laps mentioned above definitely use the clutch, albeit in a manner debated above. On topic of being 'fake' this has been discussed before with people proposing some possible solutions, yet nothing happened so far.
For me as long as you're not using any 3rd party software and solely provisions provided by the game, it's fine.It's exactly the same as real life racing pushing all the gray areas they can to get an advantage.

FYI: button clutch is banned on pretty much any online racing server.

Your explanations and your point of view as a connoisseur are crystal clear Wink.

From my layman's point of view, the accelerator pedal has everything to do in that:

The quick clutch cheat enables the always fully depressed accelerator pedal cheat. It is one of the purposes of the clutch cheat to allow the acceleration to be kept at full power, even during upshifts. Big grin

Even if the gain from this cheat were nil, it would still be a cheat, in the sense that it is a completely abnormal way of driving.

I agree. "People who know" are not deceived because they also know and use this cheat.

But the laymen (potential new players) are deceived. Because they first believe that these world records are made with an H-gearbox and normal clutch, as presented. And they find afterwards, by viewing the replay, that it is faked.

New players ignore and don't care that the gain from cheats is minimal. A cheat is a cheat. The cheat of the quick clutch is hardly noticeable for the neophyte. But the cheating of full acceleration when changing gears is seen as the nose in the middle of the face. This is abnormal behaviour, and it is detrimental to the image of a supposedly realistic game.

How many new masochistic gamers are going to dive into a sensibly realistic sim, with 20 years of history and a steep learning curve, if they see that everything is skewed by little gimmicks or big cheating? And that their only way to compete with "People who know" is to learn to cheat?

I don't know what you mean by gray areas in the world of real racing. I certainly do not have your knowledge, but do not see anything comparable. Shrug

In the world of real racing, there is technology and rules. It happens that the two are still not quite in phase or that the rules are voluntarily transgressed and there, it is sanction (as, for example, for Toyota in 1995).

But, in the world of racing, no one drives by violating the physical laws that govern mechanics. Maybe because it's impossible? But it is a fact. Tilt

Comparisons between what is possible in real life and in the game have their limits and pitfalls. These wacky comparisons also produce sweet mirages.
Of course, in real life, you can shift gears without a clutch. So what ?
You can shift to a clutchless gear only at a specific engine speed that does not correspond to racing or lap record conditions. This childish pretext does not justify abnormal behaviour in the race.

For me, virtual driving should be believable enough to match real driving as much as possible. There is the limit. Switching gears without a lever with your foot on an H-gearbox is not credible. It's just ridiculous. The fact that all "People who know" do it doesn't help matters.Big grin
#32 - R-to
If you drive in real life h-pattern manual transmission a car what has syncronized gearbox what uses manual clutch you cannot downshift example 5 gear, gear by gear 4,3 to 2 gear instant when racing hard without useing clutch so because it's possible in live for speed that is not realistic and when racers know about that they dont have to use clutch they only use the throttle blib and change the gears because it's easyer so in my opinion that is cheating if you cannot do that in real life.
Quote from R-to :If you drive in real life h-pattern manual transmission a car what has syncronized gearbox what uses manual clutch you cannot downshift example 5 gear, gear by gear 4,3 to 2 gear instant when racing hard without useing clutch so because it's possible in live for speed that is not realistic and when racers know about that they dont have to use clutch they only use the throttle blib and change the gears because it's easyer so in my opinion that is cheating if you cannot do that in real life.

Your comment is quite relevant. That's what I meant by "non-use of a control command".
Thank you for allowing me to clarify it again Smile (and Johneysvk, sorry if that wasn't clear Shrug.)

In LFS, as in real life, with H-gearbox the clutch must be used, the throttle should be released to up shift etc.
The code could (should?) sanction this. If the code does not. These ways of driving should be considered cheating.

This is also my opinion (with all the nuances adapted to video game issues, of course Wink)
Quote from Avraham Vandezwin :Your explanations and your point of view as a connoisseur are crystal clear Wink.

From my layman's point of view, the accelerator pedal has everything to do in that:

The quick clutch cheat enables the always fully depressed accelerator pedal cheat. It is one of the purposes of the clutch cheat to allow the acceleration to be kept at full power, even during upshifts. Big grin

Even if the gain from this cheat were nil, it would still be a cheat, in the sense that it is a completely abnormal way of driving.

I agree. "People who know" are not deceived because they also know and use this cheat.

But the laymen (potential new players) are deceived. Because they first believe that these world records are made with an H-gearbox and normal clutch, as presented. And they find afterwards, by viewing the replay, that it is faked.

New players ignore and don't care that the gain from cheats is minimal. A cheat is a cheat. The cheat of the quick clutch is hardly noticeable for the neophyte. But the cheating of full acceleration when changing gears is seen as the nose in the middle of the face. This is abnormal behaviour, and it is detrimental to the image of a supposedly realistic game.

How many new masochistic gamers are going to dive into a sensibly realistic sim, with 20 years of history and a steep learning curve, if they see that everything is skewed by little gimmicks or big cheating? And that their only way to compete with "People who know" is to learn to cheat?

I don't know what you mean by gray areas in the world of real racing. I certainly do not have your knowledge, but do not see anything comparable. Shrug

In the world of real racing, there is technology and rules. It happens that the two are still not quite in phase or that the rules are voluntarily transgressed and there, it is sanction (as, for example, for Toyota in 1995).

But, in the world of racing, no one drives by violating the physical laws that govern mechanics. Maybe because it's impossible? But it is a fact. Tilt

Comparisons between what is possible in real life and in the game have their limits and pitfalls. These wacky comparisons also produce sweet mirages.
Of course, in real life, you can shift gears without a clutch. So what ?
You can shift to a clutchless gear only at a specific engine speed that does not correspond to racing or lap record conditions. This childish pretext does not justify abnormal behaviour in the race.

For me, virtual driving should be believable enough to match real driving as much as possible. There is the limit. Switching gears without a lever with your foot on an H-gearbox is not credible. It's just ridiculous. The fact that all "People who know" do it doesn't help matters.Big grin

idk why you keep writing these **** essays
You talk about WR and race as if they are the same thing.
But for me it always seemed that players handle button clutch different in Hotlap and WR.
As was already said, in basically all races it is banned.
Even if a new player might not spot it, other players will notice. It only takes one person to notice.
Also importantly, everybody knows that others will notice.

In WR it seems more accepted. Not sure why that is, maybe because doing one quick lap with unlimited retries is already very different from doing a race over several laps while having to balance speed and risk. Hotlapping with unlimited retries leads to unrealistic driving anyway. So it attracted different kind of players too. Or maybe it just randomly evolved into those two different paths.

It is absolutely possible to shift a real car or LFS car at full throttle, with normal analog axis clutch pedal.
Obviously it puts greater wear on the material but it is possible.
Many driving school cars have to endure that every day when new drivers learn to shift or to get moving at an incline.
Quote from Gutholz :In WR it seems more accepted. Not sure why that is

The answer is simply because it's allowed/made possible by the game.
As long as you're not using external tools to create shift macros and shit, it's ok i see it, the playing field is level for everyone.

I don't know why Avraham cares so much about 'cheat and fake VRs' It has no effect on him personally since by his own admission he doesn't race or hotlap online and people that do are already aware and accounting for this in running the racing events.

But if alongside paragraphs of loosely associated monologues there are ideas how to improve the situation, go and contact the devs, i believe some people tried in the past already.
Quote from johneysvk :idk why you keep writing these **** essays

If you don't want me to answer you, ignore me.
I refer you to my message of April 13, 2023, 12:43 (which you have read) I asked a question, I got my answer. That's all. Tilt

No need to come back to me with fallacious statements intended to justify cheating. You have your point of view, I have mine. I think our points of view are irreconcilable. Especially if you don't bother to read me (and no one is forcing you to).
Quote from Gutholz :
In WR it seems more accepted. Not sure why that is...

It's the group effect. Everyone allows themselves small transgressions because the others do too. Over time, this becomes normal. On the one hand, there are the "people who know" and who play with each other with their rigged rules and the others who go elsewhere...
we find ourselves in a ghetto of insiders, among "people who know". And we wonder why there are only 300 people (always the same) per day on the servers. While we have in our hands one of the best games in the world. "Small" causes sometimes have big effects.
Which new player will take the time to understand that WR and online practices are different? Shrug

Quote from Gutholz :
It is absolutely possible to shift a real car or LFS car at full throttle, with normal analog axis clutch pedal.
Obviously it puts greater wear on the material but it is possible.
Many driving school cars have to endure that every day when new drivers learn to shift or to get moving at an incline.

Smile You are right. In real life, you can butcher the mechanical until it break. But you won't get any benefit from doing so, because you'll still go slower doing it than using it normally. Also in LFS, if you're playing normally (without cheating) and you shift into gear with the accelerator pedal on the floor, you're wasting time. In replays of WRs you go faster. Here is the problem.
Quote from johneysvk :The answer is simply because it's allowed/made possible by the game.
As long as you're not using external tools to create shift macros and shit, it's ok i see it, the playing field is level for everyone.

I don't know why Avraham cares so much about 'cheat and fake VRs' It has no effect on him personally since by his own admission he doesn't race or hotlap online and people that do are already aware and accounting for this in running the racing events.

But if alongside paragraphs of loosely associated monologues there are ideas how to improve the situation, go and contact the devs, i believe some people tried in the past already.

Sometimes Avraham is interested in different matters than those that have a direct effect on his life. How much Avraham does it take to buy LFS without playing online to finance your little private games between "people who know" ?

For the solutions, I have given them.
1- act by code.
2- Clean manually.

P.S: If you ever want this game to become massively popular again and be played online again, you need to reconsider your attitudes.
Developers need to rework button clutch,or simply just removing it from the game,its way too overpowered Frown
Quote from Gutholz :
In WR it seems more accepted. Not sure why that is, maybe because doing one quick lap with unlimited retries is already very different from doing a race over several laps while having to balance speed and risk. Hotlapping with unlimited retries leads to unrealistic driving anyway. So it attracted different kind of

Its not accepted in WR aswell,we just cant stop others doing so Frown
Quote from cuni :There's a new online trend about exposing cheaters on fps games (not only but mainly).

I have never been a hardcore player to have encountered cheaters in LFS (if there are few cheaters, i don't play enough races with different people. Statistics), but I remember the old days (2010) when you could change the cars' hp by a few % and get the edge over your competitor.

Nowadays, I think LFS is pretty much free of cheats, I have never assumed someone faster than me is using cheats, what are your thoughts? Maybe I am just assuming this since I mostly race the same 15 or 20 guys.
Is LFS hard to cheat on, or did we simply become a small community of (despite some race punts) trustworthy drivers?

Obviously, I am speaking about using the legit and latest version of LFS for online play.

The best policy as a competitor is to assume if you get beaten, you've been beaten because you weren't good enough.

However the best policy as a league organizer is to be extremely vigilant.

Good leagues will be able to spot cheaters and get rid of them, even if the game itself doesn't have the capacity to ban cheaters globally.
Well, after reading all (not) the posts in this thread we can conclude that LFS is cheat free.

So far, so good Smile
Quote from Avraham Vandezwin :Sometimes Avraham is interested in different matters than those that have a direct effect on his life. How much Avraham does it take to buy LFS without playing online to finance your little private games between "people who know" ?

For the solutions, I have given them.
1- act by code.
2- Clean manually.

P.S: If you ever want this game to become massively popular again and be played online again, you need to reconsider your attitudes.

1 - if you mean code of conduct or gentlemen agreements, won't work, because there's nobody to enforce it and game allows for use of button clutch, to accomodate for different input methods. Maybe it could work differently, sure, but that's one for the devs.
2 - and who's gonna check every lap and do that?

Changing the way the clutch works would result in a noncompatible update, i'm pretty sure, so that would also automatically clear the hotlap list, two birds with one stone.
Maybe it will come in the long awaited update with new physics, guess we'll see Smile

But we can't do anything about this, only the devs do.
Again, assuming you didn't already, if it's really such a big issue, feel free to drop them an e-mail, or maybe wait for one of them to reply on this topic.

And thank you very much for your selfless sacrifice of financing my 'little private games between people that know' Wave
You seem to be thinking it's some super evil cheater cabal, which is really not the case.

P.S.: This game's popularity has little to do with attitudes of 1-2 people in a forum thread (my previous posts might have been a bit over the top though, i admit), but rather slow development pace. I know things are done in a certain way, and it's part of what makes LFS so great, but it's just how it is.
Development is not mine or any other users' responsibility and aside from that i see decent amount of online racing, media content, mods etc. generated by the userbase.
So yeah... crying on the wrong grave here.
Quote from Viperakecske :Its not accepted in WR aswell,we just cant stop others doing so Frown

Yeah, won't work until the game code itself will prevent it.
There's always going to be someone who breaks a gentleman's agreement and others will follow, sooner or later (or simply won't know about any agreement in the first place).

In the online environment you atleast have an option to police it with insim and adminning the server.
Quote from johneysvk :1 - if you mean code of conduct or gentlemen agreements, won't work, because there's nobody to enforce it and game allows for use of button clutch, to accomodate for different input methods. Maybe it could work differently, sure, but that's one for the devs.
2 - and who's gonna check every lap and do that?

Changing the way the clutch works would result in a noncompatible update, i'm pretty sure, so that would also automatically clear the hotlap list, two birds with one stone.
Maybe it will come in the long awaited update with new physics, guess we'll see Smile

But we can't do anything about this, only the devs do.
Again, assuming you didn't already, if it's really such a big issue, feel free to drop them an e-mail, or maybe wait for one of them to reply on this topic.

And thank you very much for your selfless sacrifice of financing my 'little private games between people that know' Wave
You seem to be thinking it's some super evil cheater cabal, which is really not the case.

P.S.: This game's popularity has little to do with attitudes of 1-2 people in a forum thread (my previous posts might have been a bit over the top though, i admit), but rather slow development pace. I know things are done in a certain way, and it's part of what makes LFS so great, but it's just how it is.
Development is not mine or any other users' responsibility and aside from that i see decent amount of online racing, media content, mods etc. generated by the userbase.
So yeah... crying on the wrong grave here.

1. I haven't thought of a deontology, even if I like the idea Smile. I was talking about the game code which can, for example, make shifting penalizing if the accelerator is left fully depressed. This would partly render the effect of the button clutch obsolete (well, I think).

2. A simple algorithm could analyse the files of the replays and eliminate those on which the pedals are not used correctly. Of course, someone has to be prepared to do this Shrug

Big grin Don't worry, since there's nothing for me online yet (I don't despair), the sacrifice is bearable. But what I meant was that there are people who love this game (and buy it) who are different from you, who don't have the same ideas or the same practices. They don't expect the same things you do. You still have to give them space for the community to evolve and grow. The important thing, what brings us together, is LFS. Nothing forces us to fight.

For the rest, don't take it for yourself. I said "you" in general. You "people who know" Big grin and who remain attached to their customs, little habits and little secrets. I know the LFS community is not a cheating community. It's just disappointing, and also discouraging, to see that the WRs are ... rigged Big grin

Wink Without resentment. I'm used to dealing with adversity. I have no problem with that. I sometimes search a bit too Big grin

EDIT: We all know that nothing will happen to improve the cheating situation right now. It would be totally counterproductive to spend time on this.
If this discussion makes it possible to underline that the next update will have to be accompanied by a kind of Reset, it is already good.
If the ambition is to cast a wider net than in the existing community, this seems essential. That doesn't mean burying 20 years of history. But to start again on a virgin and healthy base, if possible less permissive.

Currrent cheat situation
(47 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG