The online racing simulator
Comments on LFS
(59 posts, started )
Comments on LFS
Hi Scavier! Thought I should pass on some comments made about LFS by people knowing nothing about it, and more interestingly, people currently earning undergraduate degrees in multimedia. (Cinematography, computer modelling, animation) During a recent dinner party, a group of exchange students from France saw me demonstrating your game and their universal reaction was that the graphics were fantastic.

Mind you my system is now up to date with fsaa and the like, but to counter-balance that, these are French people we're talking about, and they are reserved with their compliments by nature.

Cool eh? I also showed the game to a friend, a battlefield addict who raves nonstop about how realistic it is.. a very scientific-minded, engineering type, his comment was that the sound wasn't like other games he'd seen, that it was really believable.

Thank you thank you thank you!
The effect of alchohol is amazing !

No really LFS is a great game, but the sound ? Where you running CSR?
He probably designs angry-bee powered engines himself, so that's why he thought of it as 'believable'
Quote from AndroidXP :He probably designs angry-bee powered engines himself, so that's why he thought of it as 'believable'

No matter how many times I hear it, it still makes me laugh .
Well that's a different "we love LFS" post. Thanks for posting!

Quote from Becky Rose :Where you running CSR?

I hope not. CSR makes LFS sound sampletastic.
Quote from Execution Style :Thought I should pass on some comments made about LFS by people knowing nothing about it, and more interestingly, people currently earning undergraduate degrees in multimedia. (Cinematography, computer modelling, animation) During a recent dinner party, a group of exchange students from France saw me demonstrating your game and their universal reaction was that the graphics were fantastic.

I must confirm this, by my own experience. I am an architect running the computer 3D animation house. During a very similiar party with mostly architects and designers in an age of about 25-35 years, there was the LFS running on one computer. Their comments could be summed to this: "Finally some game with realistic environment and colours. Real grass has not RGB 0,255,0 ffs! Bravo, who made this game again? Oh so there is a demo? Online? Cool..."
Perfection is in the details.
LFS is perfection.
LFS is in the details.
Details make the difference for people who know what they talk about.

Cunclusion, LFS idd is great

I think that the alcohol -like Becky mentioned- helped with the sound tho... You know, things sound sometimes different when your drunk
Quote : I hope not. CSR makes LFS sound sampletastic.

For all it's technical wizardly the LFS sounds are, unfortunately, far inferior to canned effects.

I'm delighted to hear that we are getting a sound update soon, I just hope the word 'soon' has the meaning I want it too...
I hope not, just to bug and hear the lot of you complain about it, because I couldn't care less. That's why I don't use CSR, it would might make me realise how sucky it is, and then I might not be happy about it anymore. So I'm keeping it regular I rely on the devs to give me nice and cool updates
Heh, 'soon' should ring a programmer's alarm bells immediately
#11 - Vain
Quote from AndroidXP :He probably designs angry-bee powered engines himself, so that's why he thought of it as 'believable'

You can't deny that LFS's engines sound incredibly similar to typical B-8 engines, or Bee-turbocharged engines.

Vain

This calls for a project...
Although there are some neat details to LFS, I think we can all agree that there still is room for improvement. On the other hand, that's also one of the reasons why LFS is what it is... an on-going project!
I must agree on this - with the LFS graphics.
...everytime I see screenshots etc from other racing games/sims
I allways think -

Eeeerkk... they looks so... plastic and strange and unreal.

Hurrah for LFS
The thing people seem to forget about graphics is the fact that you can make a picture look pretty but can you make it look believeable? LFS simulates the cars movements very well graphically so screenshots look believeable along with nice natural appearing colours.

A 3D model that just goes along a track and stays plain square to the track around a corner at racing speeds doesn't look believeable in motion or screenshots, it doesn't have the same kick about it. No matter how `good` it looks it will still look wrong. It's like CGI films, there is a reason animators spend a good bit of time on scenes .

Keiran
#16 - SamH
There's only one thing about LFS graphics that I wish was different, and that's the under-car/bridge shadows. I wish I could make those darker. On some tracks, I don't think the shadow is far out, but places like Fern Bay where the sun is so strong, I do so wish the shadows could be darker.

Apart from that, I'm really happy
Quote :under-car/bridge shadows

What about the over bridge shadows? They make me laugh hehe. I dont think theres anything wrong with the graphics particularly though - Eric is a fantastic modeller and Scawens LOD techniques are clearly second to none.

I just wish we could have a sound update. Like this gearbox sound that was hinted at in the German broadcast. If something like that was on the cards that'd be cool, but i'm the kind of person that judges on what's there now and not promises - and LFS is still the best despite the sound...

I just wish Scawen would turn up tomorrow and say, here's U31 - it's got all new sounds - enjoy. Because sound makes such a difference to how immersive a game is, graphics are pretty and all that, but sound is what gives you immersion factor.
Quote from Becky Rose :I just wish Scawen would turn up tomorrow and say, here's U31 - it's got all new sounds - enjoy. Because sound makes such a difference to how immersive a game is, graphics are pretty and all that, but sound is what gives you immersion factor.

I think we have to wait another week for that (just my guess, but would be cool if it would be true, wouldn't it? )...
#19 - SamH
We're hoping for something before Christmas, I think.. but that's anything up to 10 days away. I don't think Scawen's made any promises, though.. and there's nothing worse than building up hopes and having them dashed!

The next patch will be here when it arrives.. whether it's Christmas (hopefully), or the New Year (maybe?) or even well into January, we know it'll be worth the wait!
-
(SlamDunk) DELETED by SlamDunk : oops
I hope January, I'm gonna be at my gf's place during the christmas holidays
#21 - Nard
ok, when a dev says tomorrow, he means a week. If he means a week, he means a month.

Soon means "anywhere from tomorrow to next year, but stop bothering me".

Doesn't this sound like the OTHER big mystery of men?

LFS clearly is like a woman. never are we able to grasp the meaning of their words.
You should try and listen better, both to women and LFS
Quote from Nard :ok, when a dev says tomorrow, he means a week. If he means a week, he means a month.

Soon means "anywhere from tomorrow to next year, but stop bothering me".

Doesn't this sound like the OTHER big mystery of men?

LFS clearly is like a woman. never are we able to grasp the meaning of their words.

Haha splendid!
Quote from keiran :The thing people seem to forget about graphics is the fact that you can make a picture look pretty but can you make it look believeable? LFS simulates the cars movements very well graphically ... .

And that's all the matters in a racing sim. Sure any improvements are welcome, but I think most would go unnoticed (by me), as the realism comes from what the car is doing when I'm racing wheel to wheel and thinking of a dozen things at once ( not 'this dashboard doesn't look like real leather' or 'this would be more fun with a ferrari logo on the shift knob').

That is where the immersion lies, for me.
I still watch replays, just to enjoy my car driving around a track.
It`s really an enjoyment, and I can`t stop wondering, how real the car looks, on it way around the circuit.

I just downloaded the wtcc demo, and I have got Gtr 2 and the R factor demoes. It`s like cartoons, watching those games

I think we are lucky - Lucky to follow the development of a ga.. ehhhhhhhhh, make it simulator, bit by bit. And the value for money It makes me smile

We liked S1 - We like every bit of improvement, they throw our way. So many joyfull moments, is to come

Small errors is corrected within hours - What more can one ask for I really hope, they will take their time, finishing this product, because this is the best community I`ve ever been part of

And this little bit, by bit - You get an addiction of it. I like beeing an addict in this case.

All I need to say now, I guess, is AMEN !!

Comments on LFS
(59 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG