The online racing simulator
new evo x
(97 posts, started )
Quote from Hyperactive :Since awd cars are prodrive's specialty it is understandanble why the car is awd .

prodrive made the P2 (subaru base) this is from Xtreme (ex ralliart uk) evo base
id rather have ther carisma evos in the back
its absolutely craptastic looking ... engineeringwise its quite possibly the best 4wd road car ever made but whats the point if you can only drive it with a blindfold so you dont barf all over the dashboard (which would help with the looks)

i like the motec sort of display though
Quote from tristancliffe :And a bucket load of understeer, and even more fugliar!

not if you know how to drive it properly !
Especially with prodrive geometry settings
Quote from tristancliffe :Disgusting! And the interior is 60's bland, only without the tasteful materials. JTbo said it about right, but I disagree about the wheel.

And yup, I think Evo's are boring. Having driven a few cars I can safely say the Evo is not at the top of the list of entertainment value. But I appreciate that you clearly didn't start this thread to get comments and critisism on the car, as you become all defensive whenever anything bad about (a big list) is mentioned. Oh, and you can edit posts, so there is no need to do 17 in a row.

Lol i have to ask what cars do you like? what would be your dream car. every time i see you comment on a car you Seem to hate it. I can't imagine you holding your MX-5 over some of these cars ive seen you disagree with.
I guess our dear tristan wouldn't mind having a Caterham (or another 7 replica)
Quote from thisnameistaken :I think that might be the internet's most random forum quote of the year so far.

Quote from thisnameistaken :In the UK, "STI" is more commonly the abbreviation for "Sexually Transmitted Infection".

They should call it the Subaru Chlamydia.

No I think your wrong with the first one Kev, your 2nd quote beats it IMO!
Indeedy, but I prefer a narrow track version (not the fat person CSR types), and I'd prefer carbs over these ghastly throttle body monstrosities.

I like lots of cars. Lots and lots of cars. When someone talks about them I'll be in there liking them.

But there isn't a SINGLE car that I like everything about. They all have flaws (for my tastes), and I am quite open out it. I quite like the F340, I quite like 2CVs, and I like lots in between. The problem isn't me, but that the majority of people have such poor taste in cars and believe the marketting hype.
Evo in any conditions? With 18 wheels and super low tarmac tyres?
Except from wet tarmac where AWD will be a great help for using all 300hp, in snow or gravel roads you will crash at 1st corner like the ferrari guy behind you.
AWD doesnt mean you can go everywhere, and i'm not talking about off-road.
Mitsubishi and Subaru were "forced" to produce AWD so they can compete in rally gr.n plus now they can show it as an added feature for road car.
But on gravel roads you will destroy the car even without crashing (bumps big rocks etc.) Rally cars, even gr.n are way different than stock ones. "Recognition" cars (wich are "street" cars) usually dont last too much on gravel.
Sorry for my bad english!

For Tristan: i saw you in your site driving a Lancia Stratos.
How was it to drive? I just saw it once, and it was parked
Quote from Rubenz81 :For Tristan: i saw you in your site driving a Lancia Stratos.
How was it to drive? I just saw it once, and it was parked

Twitchy. Alive. Alert.* You don't so much steer, as think about the corner, and you don't countersteer so much as clench you arse, look out of the side windows and pray. When the weather gets nicer again I'll give it another run out

*bit like a RaceAbout really if LFS is anything to go by, only without the understeer.
@ tristan
i agree, there isnt the perfect car, everycar has goodies and baddies, its all subjective. i like my 1973 vw1303s, its a rwd with act. 50hp. sounds not that much but its abs. funny to drive it. or my suzuki samurai, noPower but u can go nearly everywhere.
greetz noGrip
CARBS!? You prefer carbs to fuel injection? Granted throttle bodies are not perfect but you have better reaction with fuel injection, direct injection the best. Why carbs? They are old outdated equipment and are very inefficient under varying conditions.

Not to mention they take time to change thier fuel mixtures when you apply the throttle, out of all fuel mixture devices carbs are the worst design you could think of, unless your going for el'cheapo with no regards to performance.

Granted NASCAR still runs carbs but thats more a heritage thing than anything else. The newer stockcars that run fuel injection perform much better than their carburated equivalent.

If you like them just because they bring back your younger years thats all and good but putting that aside performance wise there is nothing to gain with carbs.
You may be surprised of the quality and tecnical specs of motorbikes carbs. Usually we think of old tipe auto carbs, but there are motorbikes carbs that are fine peace of engineering.
It's not carbs vs injection what i mean... but again my bad english...
Nice car I'd say. If that styling is the Evo styling I'd have to say it looks better (for my eyes) than any other Evo I have seen (esp. that last one which was absolutely horrible), and no doubt it will be a nice piece of kit as all Evos have been so far.

But I'm a car bigot so this will never be a car for me. I like clean lines and a european badge for no other reason than 'because'.
Quote from Rubenz81 :Evo in any conditions? With 18 wheels and super low tarmac tyres?

no evo has ever been fitted with 18 inch wheels standard, and you'd be surprised how grippy they are on snow, these cars are developed alot for snow driving and have snow setting on the ACD , so they might be a little better than a ferrari.
tristan i agree that no car is perfect, and that evo's are far from perfect, but they are still a good car
Quote from Rubenz81 :Rally cars, even gr.n are way different than stock ones.

go find out what grpN is the rules allow very few mod's to the engine but allow gearbox internals to be changed, also the interiors can be removed and the springs and dampers can be changed ect, there are basicly 2 versions of evo's and subaru's, evo's have gsr's (road) and the RS (basic rally version) and subaru have the RA
Rollbar? Reinforced chassis? VERY RESISTANT dampers (gravel/mud/etc setups) Engine it's pratically street (evo5 gr.n had less hp than street version due to air restrictor!), but dont think gr.n are street cars expecially the 2000 turbo awd class due to rivality between subaru and mitsubishi.
In fact the rs version dont have even the electrical windows.
Try one in snow without snow tires but instead with standard ultralow tarmac tires and 17 wheels (now) or 18 (from the picture of the new x).
You will end up crashing at same corner of the Ferrari guy (the Ferrari example it's purely casual it's just for think of a sport car made for tarmac).
At very slow speed you can sure go safely on snow.
But it's the same for every other car.
In fact i was very surprised of how they handle in snow.
But badly surprised.
I really hate how cars are designed nowadays... somehow they all seem, dunno how to put it... well chubby.

If I wanted to drive a car that looks like a sumo-wrestler, i'd go for a Ford Transit, but not a lancer.
Okay, put it this way. A Toyota 3S-GE engine has 183hp as standard (in revision 3 spec). Stick a set of carbs on it and it will easily get 195h straight away. Set up correctly and you're mileage will be pretty much as good. The only reasons for fuel injection are better low speed response and emissions control.

And carbs sound better. And look better.
True, but you could do the same thing with putting in bigger injectors. Yes latency is more noticable in low RPM's but this continues throughout the whole RPM band, not just low RPM's. You change altitude at all with carbs you would have to pop the hood and adjust your needles to get the best fuel/air mixture. With injectors this would all be automatically be controlled via a computer. Granted with the computer you would have to find the correct mapping but once thats done you wouldn't have to do anything.

I do like the sound of carbs but the I feel the gains from fuel injection is much greater than missing out on the nice sounds =)
#70 - JTbo
Quote from tristancliffe :And carbs sound better. And look better.

Nooooo, please don't compare stock Efi crap to sophisticated carb setup, there are EFI setups that sound as sweet as carbs and do deliver even more power than carbs, those are just not those stupid Efi emission setups

Carbs are needed to jet correctly everytime you change something in engine, when engine wears, in worst case also when weather changes, so does EFI need adjustments but you just check box that says autoadjust , drive few times with all rpm and load areas you are going to use and everything is set, you don't need to open hood for this.

Also try to turbocharge engine with 10:1 compression ratio, with good aftermarket Efi you can get lot more power out from it compared to carbs as with carbs you really have to play safe with possibility of detonation.

Good aftermarket Efi is also good there that it won't do anything you don't wan't it to do, you set parameter and it does exactly that under that condition, there is also lot of automatic adjustments possible based on certain sensor inputs, but you don't need to use those if you don't like to.

EFI is great also in off-road as it does not matter what angle is, it always works same way, there is problem with carbs that mixture won't stay what is desired when going to extreme angles.

Carbs does their job fine, but are becoming more rare, those who have learned carbs first seem to be sticking with them, but many have already skipped carb technology as EFI is so much easier to understand, it is only data, always precise, something is or is not, also new cars don't have carbs so availability and prices are running out from hands in future.

I think in racing scene carbs are prefferred as they are known and tested solution, it is bit same as few very good engine builders refuse to accept that you can polish your intake ports to mirror level, you can't do that with carbs but with efi you pretty well can do that, depending a bit from location of injectors, they just have not as much efi experience as they have from carbs.

So carbs are not crap, but EFI is not worse, is it better depends lot from usage and engine builders experience from it, there is lot of engine builders that are better with carbs, some have learned fuel injection, trend will be towards fuel injection, maybe unfortainly maybe luckily, depends where you sit really

But if they would put carbs to that evo Xi consept, it would be perfect example of how Picasso would design a car, that would put some of Picasso's crazyness into it and it would be just plainly ugly
you quoted exatcly the wrong part
Quote from andybarsblade :ok another car, prodrive had the P2 concept this is the xtreme X1 concept
wot do u guys think?? front looks like the new skyline i think

Looks awful. That kind of technology is completely lost in a road car, you'll just end up loosing your license without trying and equally lost in a trackday car, on a track that kind of power will still be quicker in a RWD car than an ultra high tech, read heavy 4WD beast. Now as for hillclimbing and rallying with a sizeable amount of power and plenty of low speed work and it would fly.

Quote :These cars have to be service EVERY 3 MONTHS or 2,000 miles and thats a full mitsubishi service.

The manufacturers don't want to advertise it but under EU law a car manufacturer has to recognize a service from a reputable private garage. Although they try very hard to not let customers realise you can service elsewhere and keep your warranty valid.

There are three ways of getting your car serviced:

1. Go to a main dealer and get ripped off labour rates are now nearing £95/100 an hour. Don't be fell into a false sense of quality this kind of work is very much done on a standardized checklist type basis with no real understanding of the mechanics involved. A couple of stories I can think of are a Peugeot dealer who wasn't interested in changing an ignition (key broken in ignition) and a 5 year old Jag, serviced by main dealer still clearly on its first pair of spark plugs.

2. Cheap private garages charging less for a service than the cost of an oil change, nuff said.

3. Good private garages, cheaper than main dealers able to take on a wide variety of work with one or two skilled mechanics charging reasonable labour rates around £35 an hour, they do a much better job than either of the other two but they are a dying breed because the manufacturers are so determined to create systems that mean the relevant equipment to work on new models is so specific and expensive that it is not viable if it will only ever be used on a few cars. Thankfully this is one thing the EU is doing right and the manufacturers have got in trouble already over this.
#73 - JTbo
Quote from herki :you quoted exatcly the wrong part

Me? I did? Can happen, but I think it is right part but now very unsure

I think that is more of personal preference which one to prefer, old is not bad thing just because it is old either
That's the dog bollocks.

more i look, more i like the car. I wonder how it would look in rally trim.
Quote from JTbo :Me? I did? Can happen, but I think it is right part but now very unsure

I think that is more of personal preference which one to prefer, old is not bad thing just because it is old either

Yeah, you quoted "sound better and look better", but your post was mostly about the efficiency
Another good point about carbs is, they do what you want them to do, because it isn't just electrics. I don't trust all these eletric gadgets. They are just parts which can break and are much more difficult to replace

new evo x
(97 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG