The online racing simulator
LFS-Dedicated Server on LINUX
(7 posts, started )
hey, I am interested in running a server on Linux, as well as many others. Yes i have done a search on rscnet and also lfsforums, and found information scattered everywhere, so I was wondering if anybody can compile a little step by step guide on howto get one working, this could help alot of people, until there is a Linux Dedi server released, if ever.

Thanks
Theres a step by step guide here:
http://www.powie.de/part/artikel.php?id=41

Although it is for S1, the only thing you should need to change is the dedicated server name, and possibly the shellscript (although I've not checked).
hey, yea i saw that, but there are reports around that there is all kinds of problems with it, ie you have to constantly reboot etc etc.....and in other posts they are saying it runs perfectly....what is it actually?
#4 - dopez
if you want to be safe make a cron job that restarts the server every 24 hours and make sure if you host more then 1 server that you use a different user for every lfs server (something with sharing the 'wineserver' process seem to make things worse) that should make the server mostly stable and online 24/7

other then that it doesnt work so bad, sure a linux/bsd binary would be *very* welcome though (hint hint at the devs )
in one of the many threads i read Scawen wasnt the most familiar with Linux and that is one of the reasons why there hasnt been a Linux Dedi released, so im thinking, for a experience Linux dude, how hard would it be to make? Maybe one of these nerds on this forums could post here, and get in contact with scawen, i dont know anything about this kinda stuff, but im sure scawen doesnt have to release the whole source code to that person, just stuff he needs, again I have noidea. But yea, i think if LFS is to grow and grow, especially after S2, it needs a Linux Dedi, and it wouldnt hurt starting now
The only things that would really need to be done to the exisiting dedicated server is to rip out the gui (i.e. daemon-ise it), and alter the sockets calls (assuming that it doesnt use some other windows specific things)
there are alot of trusted and respected members on this forum who knows what their doing (maybe you angel?) and i really dont see why Scawen wouldnt give you permission to play around with it....if you ask nicely....

(7 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG