The online racing simulator
#1 - Woz
Anyone used a Fresnel Lens with LFS?
Just found this on using a fresnel lens with MS Flight Sim. Looks interesting. Wondered if anyone has used one with LFS?
nice...
but what effect does this thing have?
(have not read the whole article)
IIRC someone is using somehting like this. Just browse the "rigs" thread in the hardware section...
#4 - Woz
Quote from CrazyICE :nice...
but what effect does this thing have?
(have not read the whole article)

First effect is that the monitor will look much bigger than it really is

Second effect is that your eyes focus at a much further distance, nearer to infinity, than the 20" or so when you are sat in front of a monitor

Both huge benefits.

I have been lucky enough to clock up 100's of hours on real full motion flight sims while working as a developer for a flight sim company. They use curved mirrors to similar effect and the difference between looking at the image "projected" than on a screen is huge.

Never use a fresnel though but at $28us its very tempting to give it a try
Wow I'd definitely go for this if there was any easy way of setting it up (pre-made or something cuz I'm DIY totally incompetent). O.o
Cool, will investig8 into this!

Lol let me get this right.. All the mod is is a thin plastic sheet (Fresnel lens) and something to hold it in front of the monitor? Sounds too bloody easy but will give it a go
Post your results.
If they are positive I will buy a fresnel lense for my 50" TV!
Quote from --==Gogo==-- :Post your results.
If they are positive I will buy a fresnel lense for my 50" TV!

Angeber!

As I plan to buy a 19" TFT screen quite soon, I would just like to ask if the added weight could flip the monitor. If not, I might aswell try to find such a lense
Quote from ColeusRattus :Angeber!

Hehe. Wer hat, der hat.

I have to arrange my equipment in front of the TV and make some photos!
do it so GoGo....
du "nasebohrer" hehehehe (avatar)

also so ne lense wär wirklich was geiles...
such a lense would be coOL...

can't wait for the results
Quote from CrazyICE :do it so GoGo....
du "nasebohrer" hehehehe (avatar)

For all the people around the world that don't know the german TV-series "Stromberg": The guy in my avatar is NOT me!!
Hmm, very interesting. He doesn't really say how to make and mount the lens enclosure, but I'm sure it's not too difficult to think of something.

Edit: that 3Dlens site is a bit crap, but the F550 is here: http://www.3dlens.com/enter.ht ... t=Large_Fresnel_Lens.html
Does it need a projection surface, or am I actually looking directly into the lens? Once I know this, I'm going ahead & getting one
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Quote from thisnameistaken :Anyone remember the movie Brazil?

OT: An excellent movie to say the least - "this is your receipt for your husband... and this is my receipt for your receipt."
Wow I was seriously considering making a home made LCD projector, but having seen this I've changed my mind for US$28.50 I think its definately worth a try.. and how about a setup like this with dual screens
-
Word of warning on the Fresnal Lens.

Notice how the site does'nt give you a photo of the image the lens produces.

This thing cant be good for your eyes, (try looking through a pair of binoculars for half an hour), i would guess a packet of headache tablets would also be a wise investment to include in the build costs.
Quote from NotAnIllusion :Does it need a projection surface, or am I actually looking directly into the lens? Once I know this, I'm going ahead & getting one

You look at the lens (or rather, through it).
-
Quote from tristancliffe :You look at the lens (or rather, through it).

Ta!
Quote from Mazz4200 :This thing cant be good for your eyes

id say the exact opposite ... at least if the first link is right the picture is a lot further from your eyes than your monitor which is always a good thing for your eyes
-
Quote from NotAnIllusion :Does it need a projection surface, or am I actually looking directly into the lens? Once I know this, I'm going ahead & getting one

As mentioned in an earlier reply to you, you're looking into the lens. However, given a different focal length the same setup will function as a crude projector. The room will have to be VERY dark and it'll be rather fuzzy since the monitor isn't bright enough and the lens is relatively low quality, but it'll work.

A better option for a cheap projhector might be to find an old overhead transparency projector, steal the lens armature off of it, and use that. Brightness will still be an issue but the image quality will be higher.
#23 - Woz
Quote from xaotik :OT: An excellent movie to say the least - "this is your receipt for your husband... and this is my receipt for your receipt."

Noooooooo. I am going to be humming the music that plays throught the film now for days.
-
I've used them for pc based flight simulators. Words don't do it justice. What it does for depth perception is just amazing. I've used both the small ones and one I took from a big screen tv with my projector shining on it. It also is really cool if you hold it under the sun, melted a hole into the pavement with the big screen lens.
Quote from thisnameistaken :Still, since you can get one set up for about a tenner, it's not really a big risk is it?

I'd do it, but it looks like it'd mean a lot of messing about Blue Peter-style each time I wanted to race. I have a hard enough time as it is getting a comfortable seating position without having to put my face up against a piece of plastic too.

Nah, bit of sticky backed plastic and your laughing !

I'm no optometrist, but these are the kind of things my Granny used to read the newspaper with, and it was fine to use for short periods, but, dunno bout you, sometimes hours fly past when i'm racing, and i can only guess at the eye strain ?
I wear spec's and contact's, and the focal length is really important to give you correct vision, so i guess i'm just a bit concerned for your young eye's

Anyway if anyone does try it i'd be interested to know the results.

I've been toying with the idea of the disasembled TFT screen over an OHP, but getting them cheap aint too easy.

http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20041113/index.html

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG