AGP Interface Problems, Any Recommendations?
Hiya all,

My old pc got scrapped and so Ive just brought a cheapy with an AGP 4X slot, and have a GeForce 7600GS 256mb AGP 8X which is being a pig on the motherboard and so obviously not backwards compatable (Which needs to be backwards compatable? Motherboard or card?).
I was just wondering if anybody could recommend a good 4X card that would run as good as a 4X card is going to on LFS. Im going to avoid wasting my money (again) buying an 8X card! It’s a pain because the 7600 will now have to be sold etc etc to pay for a new card!! Grr.

Cheers guys, appreciate any replies!

Hmm...looking at ATI Radeon 9550 256 MB... not sure if this will work on a 4X slot though

btw PC Spec is

Pentium 4 2.6GHz
512mb 2700 DDR Ram, and do I need a 256mb card or will it run okay on 128mb? really havent got money to spend on this but needs to be done, so think cheap lol cheers
The card needs to be backwardly compatible with the motherboard, they usually are unless there's a big difference in age between components, voltage is the usual mismatch on AGP.
What brand is the card and what brand and model is the motherboard?

Do you get any output at all from the card, and can you try the card in another PC? There's a whole heap of things to try, so we'll start we the obvious.
Okay, the card is a nVidia Geforce 7600GS AGP 8X, which as far as I know is not switchable. Although, looking into it further on http://www.beyond3d.com/resources/board/321 it does say (in further details) it should work on a 4X slot. Hmmm.
No output at all from the card and it also seems to disable the onboard graphics.
I could try it in another PC, and will do later on. Not sure what my PC model is or the mainboard model, will have a look later if its necessary. It does only have PCI and AGP 4x though which is a bummer.
Hope this is abit helpful!
Cant really help you, but i just wanted to confirm that an 8x card shouldn't have any problem in a 4x slot.

My 9700pro was an 8x and ran in my 4x slot without any problem.

Is your AGP card set as the primary graphics device in the Bios?
You might even need to reset the bios (not saying you will have to, but i've had to do it before when installing new hardware before the machine would fire up)

And..stating the obvious i know, but have you attached the power lead to your card? (i've known plenty of people who didn't, so forgive me for asking )
If you still cant get it to work then you cant go wrong with the Ati 9600/9700 series, cheap as chips & run LFS perfectly.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG