The online racing simulator
See, I've never had any problems with Steam. Okay, I never used it when it first came out. I only got it with HL2 a few months before Episode 1 was released.
Since then I've used it for CS:S, Dark Messiah, The Ship and about a zillion demos. Not a single crash, either the platform or the games on it. So I can't complain.

It is a very good method of digital distribution, and it gets a lot of exposure across the world. It means indie devs (like the Scavier lads) don't have to find the cash to burn all those discs themselves or a publisher to steal a load of their profits. It's a case of design, upload and forget.
Although LFS doesn't need it, the extra anti-hacking methods are also pretty good. It can be worked around for single players, but you can't get online with hacked versions (not that I'd know anything about that, because cracks are bad, m'kay).

I think it's a valid option for any small independant software company. It certainly opens doors that would otherwise be closed.

The only real downside may be overpublicity. Would it attract the wrong kind of people to LFS?

But as I said before - this is an argument for a long time in the future
I don't mind steam either, It does get on my tits sometimes (like right now) when I can't load it and then all of a sudden it will just work again, but most of the time it's alright, allows me to keep tabs on where my friends are in various games, allows me to keep lists of my favourite servers, and provides a good way of finding servers that you might want to join.
I just started using steam a month or so ago, and I really haven't found anything wrong with it. I'm not gonna use it to launch LFS, but I do always have it open anyway.
I love how all that the OP did was point out something that's new, and this thread turns into Steam bashing. This is quite unnecessary IMO, I mean people will use it if they want, otherwise they won't. It's quite simple.
#30 - Gunn
Quote from OneCrazyDiamond :I love how all that the OP did was point out something that's new, and this thread turns into Steam bashing.

Well, if there's one thing that needs bashing it's STEAM.
Quote from OneCrazyDiamond :I love how all that the OP did was point out something that's new, and this thread turns into Steam bashing. This is quite unnecessary IMO, I mean people will use it if they want, otherwise they won't. It's quite simple.

Why do people automatically take people disagreeing with the OP as bashing?.

People have differences of opinions, deal with it
The guy is just telling you about it, nothing more...
Steam stopped working on my PC, even after a couple of re-installs. After a while I discovered that PeerGuardian was blocking the connection , but I only use Steam if I want to play HL2/Flatout2.
I have the profiler, which I use to auto start Steam, which then starts a batch file that I have, which then starts the old pitspotter. Why do I still use the old pitspotter? Because it automatically starts LFS. That way I never have to start LFS from the actual LFS icon ever again!

Actually, I have no idea what Steam even is. I have an inkling from this thread, but have never looked, searched, or checked out what Steam was. I do start LFS from a batch file, along with about 3 or 4 other apps so I don't have to start them all manually.
Quote from The Very End :Lol

But to be serious - I just don`t like steam, such a little program that doesn`t have any usefull abilities, and that uses a shitload of your computer sucks.

Just to clarify on this subject, Steam can (as I have observed) use a max of about 7 MB of RAM when minimized, and about 10 MB when not. I have no idea how this is a lot of resources. I personally have nothing against or for Steam. I think as a game management system, it works great; it grabs my updates as soon as available and lets me play all of my source engine games.
Quote from tristancliffe :I will never stoop to something as unrealistic and arcadey as pitspotter.

care to explain? spotters are used and are important in real life racing.
But only on ovals. Which are crap. And boring. And popularised by less talented drivers in 1950s tech cars supported by dimwits.
Quote from tristancliffe :But only on ovals. Which are crap. And boring. And popularised by less talented drivers in 1950s tech cars supported by dimwits.

Somehow I knew the ignorant oval basher post would come up, but from you of all people? I must be on something. And again, I see no need to use Steam for LFS, it would just add the "Preparing to launch LFS" for an extra 10 seconds before it actually starts.
Quote from h3adbang3r :Somehow I knew the ignorant oval basher post would come up, but from you of all people? I must be on something. And again, I see no need to use Steam for LFS, it would just add the "Preparing to launch LFS" for an extra 10 seconds before it actually starts.

What do you mean 'from you of all people'? I'm quite open about my feelings for ovals, and have been since forever. One of the worst additions to LFS in my opinion. Why does that make me ignorant? None of the facts I stated are particularly wrong
Quote from tristancliffe :What do you mean 'from you of all people'? I'm quite open about my feelings for ovals, and have been since forever. One of the worst additions to LFS in my opinion. Why does that make me ignorant? None of the facts I stated are particularly wrong

I guess I will have to agree with you there (not about the 'ovals suck' part), people have their own view on things. But I myself find most forms of motorsport enjoyable (not including that monster truck crap), I understand why you don't like oval racing, any form of motorsport that runs on a closed curcit does infact go in circles, but oval racing is just missing the right turn (or left for the series that turn their cars clockwise around tracks). I guess we should drop the OT argument and get back on topic, things seem to run off topic countless times in this forum
Quote from tristancliffe :But only on ovals. Which are crap. And boring. And popularised by less talented drivers in 1950s tech cars supported by dimwits.

I agree, bet they are so bad driver that they can't even get the drivers license.
Heh heh - I think I had something in my sig to that effect once upon a time.
Quote from Bob Smith :Is that for real? Either way I nearly wet myself.

Actually, theonion.com is a parody news site.
Scavier should get LFS put on Steam, that would be fantastic for them.
Quote from MyBoss :I agree, bet they are so bad driver that they can't even get the drivers license.

Ive been holding this in, but i have to say it. Tristian may have tried oval racing outside of LFS, but obviously you haven't a clue about real oval racing. Play NR2003 and see how easy it is.
#48 - Gunn
Quote from DarkTimes :Scavier should get LFS put on Steam, that would be fantastic for them.

You can't be serious. STEAM is a pile of steaming poo. If LFS used STEAM I would do what I did with all of my Valve games: abandon it completely.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG