The online racing simulator
I did order new upgrade
(46 posts, started )
Quote from spankmeyer :Bad.

Can you tell me why? because I ordered that Card too, but it was not in stock anymore so I hae to wait. I still can cancel my order.
The card is good, He means that the price was a little steep.
Oh.. sryy my bad for my stupidness

"financially" This didnt came in my head.
Quote from GFresh :The card is good, He means that the price was a little steep.

No. Nvidia waited for me to drop my remain cash on a 8600GTS and then made an official announcement.

Quote from Nvidia representative :To Mr. Spankmeyer: Buhahahaa you just got pwnd sucker.

Quote from spankmeyer :No. Nvidia waited for me to drop my remain cash on a 8600GTS and then made an official announcement.

Lol - you gotta keep up on the rumors... that's the key
Quote :
I got financially raped by Nvidia and their damn 8800GT.

You mean thier retailers? They (EVGA, XFX, PNY, ect.) are the ones who are first to price gouge with supply and demand. The 88GT rocks for the price/performance. If you bought the 8800GTX or 2900XT, the manufacturer did then indeed rape you. The retailers raped you this time, not nvidia.
#32 - JTbo
So, tomorrow it has been one month since I did place order, still no parts, those 8800GT cards seem to be rare items :P
Quote from JTbo :So, tomorrow it has been one month since I did place order, still no parts, those 8800GT cards seem to be rare items :P

Even though I (unknowingly) got price raped by ordering an 8800GTS, at least I wont have to wait until January to get a good graphics card now.
#34 - JTbo
Quote from h3adbang3r :Even though I (unknowingly) got price raped by ordering an 8800GTS, at least I wont have to wait until January to get a good graphics card now.

Luckily I don't have trouble running games I currently play, so if it takes to January it is not that bad
By the way, how would one apply thermal paste to a graphics card heatsink or whatever?
#36 - JTbo
Quote from h3adbang3r :By the way, how would one apply thermal paste to a graphics card heatsink or whatever?

Just put very tiny amount then use piece of paper or something to make it cover whole core, very thin layer, you should almost see trough it.
My friend said he takes a piece of saran wrap and pulls it tight over his finger and uses that to spread it evenly. You should only have a thin layer when you are done (enough to just barely read the words on the chip through the paste if there are any.)
#38 - Jakg
Best way is to use the pressure of the heatsink pushing down on the core to spread the paste, that way you get no air-bubbles.

I would be vary careful when dealing with an 8800, though, as the RAM needs sinks.
#39 - JTbo
And not only ram, also voltage regultors need sink + little airflow as do memory as well, just sink is not enough.

I'm running with water cooling, so I might as well get waterblock for it after they arrive, yep costs around 100 and not even usable to next card, but at least would be silent and well cooled
#40 - Jakg
From the 8800GTS (don't know about the 8800GT) the Cooler was a bespoke job, and used special thermal pads for the memory, which AS5 can't replace.

The 8800GT uses the same mounts as the 7-series, i know that you can get RAM Sinks for them (some guy from an overclocking forum was selling his own for about £15, they looked amazing).
Quote from Stang70Fastback :My friend said he takes a piece of saran wrap and pulls it tight over his finger and uses that to spread it evenly. You should only have a thin layer when you are done (enough to just barely read the words on the chip through the paste if there are any.)

is it really supposed to be that thin? i guess i've always been putting it on too thick
Well, better get a second opinion first, but I'm pretty sure I read that on the Arctic Cooling site or somewhere...

...actually if it is supposed to be thicker, that can only be good news for me if it will mean lower temps, lol.
#43 - JTbo
Thin is what you like, thermal paste is always worse than two surfaces touching each other perfectly.

We don't live in perfect world so we need thermal paste to smooth out surfaces so that there is good contact between them, it will work as isolation if you put thick layer of it.

Thermal pads are always worse than good thermal paste, but pads are easier and cheaper in manufacturing wise, similar way as FWD is quite crap, but cheaper and faster to make.

Majority will put too much thermal paste as they think it will be more efficient that way, however that is very wrong idea, maybe lack of information or something.

He did it wrong
Wow. That's not as bad as my dorm mate across the hall. The other day I had my PC open on the floor (new CPU heatsink) and he walks in and is like, "whoa, cool computer," and he sits down and starts touching things. Then he's like is that the processor and he touches it with his finger (still had thermal paste on it, lol.) So I calmly (barely - I hate the kid) explained that you should never touch it, it has to be sterile for heat transfer, etc...

When he hears that, he says, "So like, it has to just have that goopy stuff and nothing else?"
"Yea."
"Oh, well thats good, cause when I got my processor, I tried putting that sticker on it, cause that's what it said to do, but I took it off cause it wouldn't stick..."
"Wait, like the Athlon 64 sticker?"
"Yea - that's not where it's supposed to go?"

...OMG - he was freaking SERIOUS.

Then he goes on to tell me how now he has a water-cooled rig. I can't imagine someone that stupid possibly having a computer setup like that, but he really seemed serious, so IDK.
um, is that sticker really not supposed to go there?
Omg, You Too?!? :d

I did order new upgrade
(46 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG