The online racing simulator
PS3 [GT5] chat
(79 posts, started )
Quote from ajp71 :The graphics processor in the 360 is actually superior to the PS3 anyway so until the game developers start using the Cell to do graphics the 360 will still produce better graphics.

Both processors are clocked at 3.2 GHz.

The similarities of the two processors ends there. The xenos processor has 3 identical PPE cores where as the cell processor has only 1 PPE core and 7 SPE cores.

Cell Processor
  • One general purpose PPE core that is used for the OS and the game application.
  • 512 MB total memory on 2 buses which can be accesed directly only by the PPE core. 256 MB of processor main memory and 256 MB of memory used by GPU.
  • 512 KB L2 cache for the PPE.
  • 32 KB L1 instruction cache and 32 KB L1 data cache for the PPE.
  • 7 specialized SPE cores. One is used for the OS leaving 6 for the game application.
  • 256KB SRAM per SPE. No common memory between SPEs and SPE cannot access the PPEs main memory directly but the PPE can access the SPEs memory directly.
  • Communications between SPE memory or to the PPE memory is performed via the Element Interconnect Bus (EIB) by either accessing ports or via DMA.
  • SPEs do not have branch prediction capability.
Xenos Processor
  • 3 General purpose PPE cores that are used for the OS and game application.
  • 512 MB main memory that is shared by all three cores and GPU.
  • 1 MB of L2 cache that is shared by the 3 cores (333 KB per core average).
  • 32 KB L1 instruction cache and 32 KB data cache for each core.
  • 2 Hardware threads per core.
And I love Gran Turismo mainly for the fact that you can actually tune the cars. Having all the actual car models and performance parts are probably the main reasons I love the GT series.

The physics will be better than LFS in GT5 besides. Hard to comprehend but it will.

For the record:
My system specs are
AMD Athlon 64 4600+ x2 939 @ 3.0ghz
Evga 8800gts clocked past 8800gtx ultra specs.
Asus A8N32sli Deluxe
4gb A-Data DDR400 2.5-3-3-6
Xfi Xtreme Gamer Pro
OCZ GameXtreme 700w
XP 64 Pro
^ This kid needs to lose the blinkers. What an idot.
Xbox 360 and Forza 2 beat GT serie anyday with the much more endless possibilities and customization, and far better physics, sounds, etc.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :It is? Then why can I go to Apples website and get a Dual Quadcore (8 cores) Machine?

Good point. Sorry I wasn't thinking clearly. But I was thinking along the lines of In one single unit. Not a bunch of cpu's side by side like intels quad core, really glued together dual core

AMD's phenom is a true quad core processor.

And I was wrong, the Cell isnt 8 cores it's only single core with 7 spe's

I want one of these... http://www.mc.com/microsites/c ... oductdetails.aspx?id=2590
#30 - DeKo
Quote from porschedrifter :but they dont... quad core is the best u can get.

Nope, iirc you can get 2 quad core xeons in the 1 mobo.

Who gives a flying **** whether the PS3 has more power than the average computer, anyway? Just because it is capable of more advanced physics calculations doesnt mean konami has a clue on how to actually do it. Was playing prologue today, it is just GT4 looking, admittedly, very pretty.

For the last time, the physics are not better. GT is marketed at people who cant be arsed using a wheel and having realistic physics, they just want to pick up a controller and take a car round a track easily. I mean come on, LFS isnt exactly a best seller simply because it only appeals to a certain amount of people. Konami have money to make, so they need to appeal to a broader market.

And btw, it doesnt look all that, the cars themselves look pretty brilliant, but the environments arent any better than LFS.
Quote from DeKo :Nope, iirc you can get 2 quad core xeons in the 1 mobo.

Who gives a flying **** whether the PS3 has more power than the average computer, anyway? Just because it is capable of more advanced physics calculations doesnt mean konami has a clue on how to actually do it. Was playing prologue today, it is just GT4 looking, admittedly, very pretty.

I like pretty.

And by the way I saw the making of gt4 they actually took out the cars in japan for track days to get the real feel of the cars as well as numerous calculations using the real cars, They do their research and well. Not just some coders guessing on some numbers...
So I could only imagine what they did for GT5

And thats probably why Logitech made a wheel specifically for GT4 right?

You can thank GT4 for the first 900 degree wheel in the first place

Here's a video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKDdxC3DXlI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7z4-gre-yU
Quote from porschedrifter :Hahaha I know its much much more... but graphics wise and the cell processor power of ps3 and the physics will be the most realistic sim yet. Bar none.

Please name one element of the physics there's any suggestion that GT5 will do better than LFS?

I'm sorry but I can't believe that you can't comprehend that GT and LFS are completely different products designed to appeal to completely different user groups.

Quote from porschedrifter :You are thinking of xbox 360 bro.... that was the 3 core

Sony's PS3 cell processor is in a league of its own, its at supercomputer territory...

By the way Gran Turismo's Physics get updated for each release and because of the power of ps3 the physics will be the most realistic than any sim.. yes ANY sim PC or Console alike

Quote from porschedrifter :...

Type PS3 vs. 360 into google and have a read. I've taken the liberty of doing it for you.
Quote from ajp71 :Please name one element of the physics there's any suggestion that GT5 will do better than LFS?

I'm sorry but I can't believe that you can't comprehend that GT and LFS are completely different products designed to appeal to completely different user groups.

Type PS3 vs. 360 into google and have a read. I've taken the liberty of doing it for you.

I can comprehend that, but they are both sims. Period

Secondly, you can't compare the PS3 and 360 benchmarks yet until someone comes out with a Benchmark with the code for cell processors.

Here's a link for you.
http://www.primatelabs.ca/blog ... n-3-performance-may-2007/
I will say this, the PS3 is a genious peice of work and a showoff of modern technology.

But so far it has no utility (from what I've personally seen) in comparison to the Xbox 360

I walk around the dorms at my college all the time and notice that every few doors in guys dorms you will see a 360, I have yet to see someone at my college have a PS3 in their room.

Why? There is only 3 games people want for the PS3 right now, and that is that rally racing game that was released with PS3, the new ratchet and clank (bleh), and the continuation of GT serie which isn't even out yet.

That is great and all, but.. it's to much, and as pointed out multiple times, it's great the PS3 is so fast and so on, but are the game makers going to have any clue what to do? Probably not, and do you think that companies are going to cough up cash to bring in new coders to deal with all the seperate cores and new stuff in the PS3? Probably not either.

By the way, if any of the Gran Turismo games are meant to be simulators, and all pro drivers out there used it.. there would be some crappy drivers out there.

I've got a link for you; watch Jeremy try to use GT4 as a simulator.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkdWkAs9qmo
Quote from XCNuse :By the way, if any of the Gran Turismo games are meant to be simulators, and all pro drivers out there used it.. there would be some crappy drivers out there.

I've got a link for you; watch Jeremy try to use GT4 as a simulator.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkdWkAs9qmo

I've seen that Top Gear episode before and to be fair a sim can only be so real.

I bought ps2 for GT3... I will be buying ps3 for GT5 as well
Still waiting for the prices to come down.

However, I might make a last minute decision and go for a 360 with foreza2

I admit, tough decision.. I'll wait until GT5 comes out to see for myself

and yeah the ps3 sales are down, sony is hurting. Better for us though... prices will go down more

As for LFS, I love it. I think its the best sim out for the pc. It's been keeping me from missing GT4.

I dont know I guess I love the pretty graphics, real tracks, real cars and the tuning options of GT, thats really what gets me.
#36 - Jakg
Quote from XCNuse :Not to mention, Dell makes a WoW LAPTOP yes, LAPTOP, with a full size 5.3" hard drive, a PhysX card, and dual SLi nVidia cards.

It's 5.2", PhysX card is useless and SLi in a laptop never gives great performance.

Consider that your "average consumer" can pick up a 3.2 GHz Quad Core, 3 8800 Ultra's and 8 GB of RAM, and that your enthusiast can (when Skull Trail comes out) get 2 3.2 GHz Core 2-based Xeons, which could be overclocked to 4 GHz, 2 8800 Ultra's and 8 GB of ultra fast RAM, a PS3 looks a bit shit.
Quote from porschedrifter :Sony's PS3 cell processor is in a league of its own, its at supercomputer territory...

I remember it now, PS2 magazine said that "the PS3 will be so powerful it will have better than real life graphics". Good luck with that!

If a Cell Processor (Which is made by IBM, not Sony, isn't it...?) is a super-computer, then show me the racks of them that are rapidly being bought up as a cheap supercomputer? Oh no wait, you can't..

So far the only "racks" of PS3's are bought by folding nuts, as a PS3 chews through work units crazily fast, however if you actually compare the work units they fold, they are "easier" than the ones sent to ordinary PC's. If you work it out your average Core 2 CPU is actually a fair bit faster...
Quote from porschedrifter :but they dont... quad core is the best u can get.

For most people a single Quad Core is the fastest you can get, but it's not ridiculously expensive to get a server mobo and a set of 2 Quad Core Intel Xeon CPU's, which are based on Core 2 architecture.

From the fact that you base your entire argument on the number of cores, and that as 7 > 4 that a PS3 must therefore beat any PC's Quad Core I can deduce you are a complete fool.

I LOL at the fact that the guy who can't spend £12 to get his precious XRT back can buy a PS3 though.

OT - Not actually had a chance to see a PS3 in action in the flesh yet, girlfriends brothers just got one with a copy of CoD4, which i plan on getting for my PC (...when i get my extra GB of RAM working), which should make a nice comparison. (FTR the PC in my sig is wrong - it's now got a GTX in it)
Quote from ajp71 : Part of the reason the PS3 can run all those effects is because it misses out the basic details, like skid marks

If PS3 can't handle GT5 graphics with skid marks, then the game has pretty bad code. I think it's just one of those things that is just there because Kazunori Yamauchi's head is so deep in his own arse. In some interview long time ago he said something like that he don't actually play other games, if that's true it definitely explains a lot of things.

I don't get the PS3 bashing. I'm die hard PC gamer myself but it's about a time to everyone admit that consoles have done something that PC never did: huge power in a small and cheap package. (When PS3's life is coming to an end, but that's few years away still, then it's time to start bashing PS3, because then it's obviously slowing down general technical development of games, just like PS2 did.)
Quote from Jakg : I LOL at the fact that the guy who can't spend £12 to get his precious XRT back can buy a PS3 though.

I will be buying a license first before ps3, I'm talking like a year or two down the road when prices are nice.

Quote from Jakg :From the fact that you base your entire argument on the number of cores, and that as 7 > 4 that a PS3 must therefore beat any PC's Quad Core I can deduce you are a complete fool.

If you want one of those cell processors in your pc today, they are around $7k yes... $7k
These are simular to the ps3 processor, now if these can take your computer passed the More than 180 GFLOPS mark then imagine what the PS3 is capable of.
#39 - Jakg
Quote from porschedrifter :For the record:
My system specs are
AMD Athlon 64 4600+ x2 939 @ 3.0ghz fsb 1000
Evga 8800gts clocked past 8800gtx ultra specs.

Asus A8N32sli Deluxe
4gb A-Data DDR400 2.5-3-3-6
Xfi Xtreme Gamer Pro
OCZ GameXtreme 700w
XP 64 Pro

Oh come on.

1000 FSB is impossible - a top-of-the line DFi with a CPU with a VERY low multiplier will top out at about 400 FSB, reaching up to about 350 FSB stably...
Quote from porschedrifter :Both processors are clocked at 3.2 GHz.

...and? I had a 3.07 GHz AMD Athlon, and this 2.13 GHz Core 2 kicks it ass.

By the same token the 8.1 GHz P4 is over twice as fast as a PS3...
Quote from porschedrifter :Good point. Sorry I wasn't thinking clearly. But I was thinking along the lines of In one single unit. Not a bunch of cpu's side by side like intels quad core, really glued together dual core

Intel's Quads might not be a "true" Quad Core, but AMD Phenom isn't any quicker (and in fact a fair bit slower) than Intel's Quads...
An 8800GTS is PHYSICALLY different to a GTX, and there is NO way you can overclock a GTS to either become or beat an 8800 Ultra...

Do you post this much drivel for fun or what?
Quote from Jakg :Oh come on.

1000 FSB is impossible - a top-of-the line DFi with a CPU with a VERY low multiplier will top out at about 400 FSB, reaching up to about 350 FSB stably......and? I had a 3.07 GHz AMD Athlon, and this 2.13 GHz Core 2 kicks it ass.

An 8800GTS is PHYSICALLY different to a GTX, and there is NO way you can overclock a GTS to either become or beat an 8800 Ultra...

Do you post this much drivel for fun or what?

First of all, my bad i meant bus speed my fsb is 250
wow i'm on a roll today..

and my 8800gts is clocked past the core and memory speed of an 8800gtx ultra. You can do that.
8800gtx ultra: core clock of 612 MHz, a shader clock of 1500 MHz and a memory clock of 1080 MHz
Mine: Core 620 Mem 2000

Here's my validation: http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=285682

People are so damn hostile in this thread
Quote from porschedrifter :And by the way I saw the making of gt4 they actually took out the cars in japan for track days to get the real feel of the cars as well as numerous calculations using the real cars, They do their research and well. Not just some coders guessing on some numbers...
So I could only imagine what they did for GT5

Interesting fact - my families Stratos is in GT2/3/4. Not just a Stratos - but OUR Stratos. It was taken by one of our guys at work to Donington for a photo session, and a sound recording. I think they did 3 laps of Donington, with OUR man driving, and with a sound recordist (with big fluffy mic) in the passenger seat. They took about a dozen photos for reference.

They did NOT drive it, and they did NOT take it to Japan. There isn't a cat in hells chance we'd let some random jap arcade coder take a 70s supercar for a drive. And it's not even worth that much compared to some exotica.

As a result - the Stratos is AWFUL in the game. As is the MX-5. The Evos and Imprezas. The small Peugeots. And every single car in GT2/3/4 that I have driven and is represented in the game.

Sim? Certainly not. The car behaviour is a LONG way from realistic, in a generic sense. Specific cars DO NOT behave anything like the real things (or even sound right in most cases, including the Stratos). The car models are pretty piss poor and inaccurate. The tracks are quite nice to look at, but don't seem to bear much resemblance to the real ones.

I like pretty too, but only when it's pretty. GT isn't, it's just blurred.
#42 - Jakg
Thank ye Mr Tristan, next time your in this "neck of the woods" i'll buy ya a Pint.

However thankfully i'm underage and can't, lol
Modeling looks okay.. can't say i've ever seen such a horribly overexposed background though!

It's so bad they've reduced photography to even show chromatic aberrations.. that is horrible.
They not only try to make something good, they make it worse by trying to make it look like it was taken by a bad photographer that can't read a light meter.

A photographer would (should) take shame to a picture like that.
Quote from XCNuse :Modeling looks okay.. can't say i've ever seen such a horribly overexposed background though!

It's so bad they've reduced photography to even show chromatic aberrations.. that is horrible.
They not only try to make something good, they make it worse by trying to make it look like it was taken by a bad photographer that can't read a light meter.

A photographer would (should) take shame to a picture like that.

lol hahahahahah
Over saturated, over bloomed, funny vehicle proportions (except the Ferrari 308 thingy), rubbish tarmac, and a HUGE image (which is way way higher than HD or even most PC resolutions), so obviously not 'in game' as such.

But regardless of how it looks (which is a taste thing, and some people like unrealistic images), it's a safe bet it'll be fun to play for a day or two, but rubbish to drive and compare to reality. Great when drunk though!
Quote from tristancliffe :Over saturated, over bloomed, funny vehicle proportions (except the Ferrari 308 thingy), rubbish tarmac, and a HUGE image (which is way way higher than HD or even most PC resolutions), so obviously not 'in game' as such.

Thats in game real time renderings
#50 - DeKo
Quote from porschedrifter :Thats in game real time renderings

the PS3 does not output 3840x2160 in real time. The maximum it can output is i 1080i, so 1900x1080, and thus it is clearly not.

PS3 [GT5] chat
(79 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG