The online racing simulator
Model LFS cars
(12 posts, started )
Model LFS cars
Well, the potential is there at least.

Step 1/ Get your head around this app - http://ogle.eyebeamresearch.org/

Step 2/ Get a 3D printer and 'voila', you have yourself that model GTi you always wanted.

That would be the height of coolness.
Getting the 3D model out of LFS has already been done...
But $24,000 for the 3D printer???? I think that will be a bit tough to fit into the budget.
#3 - JJ72
I am in a design school and I did thought about "printing" out LFS cars with the CNC machine. however it seems more easier to actually buy a model car kit and modifying with putting to get the right shape,cause I doubt the technicians will agree with the plan.
Quote from Hallen :Getting the 3D model out of LFS has already been done...
But $24,000 for the 3D printer???? I think that will be a bit tough to fit into the budget.

Well, I never....
What methods were used?
Are there any pics?

I agree about the costs involved, but it would still be the height of coolness.
ya i looked into that stuff a few years ago, i think its pretty cool, i have always loved to mess around with models of cars and stuff (hence im into 3d modeling) but ya the pricing on that stuff is insane, your better off buying a block of clay and cutting it up (which that sounds like fun too imo)
We have one (3D printer) at work, if I can get a workable model out of LFS, then I will "print" one out.

Dan,
Anyone have a workable model for this man? I'd love to see how this would turn out!
Maybe some of the folk in the 3D Renders forum could help...
dunno but i DEFINETLY would NOT take one of the models strait from LFS and 'print' it, because they are low poly.. unless sniiki or i upload a model that is smoothed out, then i would do it, but otherwise it would seem to be a waste of time with the hard edges on it.. wouldnt be worth the cost and time
Quote from Hallen :Getting the 3D model out of LFS has already been done...

crazy how much those things have dropped in price. a few years ago, they were $850k
makes $24k seem down right affordable
Ours was £50,000

Dan,
there are companies out there that will print the model and send it out for you, bad thing is that cars arent proper subjects, since the finish is quite rough and angular edges dont come out so well.
You are right, the quality isnt perfect, you do get jaggy edges, but if you run over it with a piece of grit paper it doesnt take long to smooth it out.

Dan,

Model LFS cars
(12 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG