The online racing simulator
DRIVER TIPS: How to Drive a Manual!
(33 posts, started )
#26 - JTbo
Quote from Frankestein01nl :if you'd do that in a real car.. your nose would be on the wheel every shift m8..
learn it like this:

kick clutch, lift throttle as you shift up, let up clutch slower then you kicked it and throttle up again as the clutch is 3/4th up.... takes me less then a second irl. grinn.. COSTS me a second on track compared to paddleshifting.

Grinn..

Frank

Hmm, I do same in real car, of course it is not week before I press clutch, whole process should be one fluent movement, matching revs with throttle so you don't need to be slow with clutch
Hehe.. you caught me there.. just trying to make the competition shift slower m8
Quote from Impreza WRX :Or better yet, how about a series of LFS driving tests where you learn how to drive a manual gearbox!

oooo that is way better!
Oki you wrote it for g25 owners. I have the DFP without a clutch pedal. Does it make sense to bind clutch on a button, or is the pedal absolutely necessary?
Quote from Musachan :Oki you wrote it for g25 owners. I have the DFP without a clutch pedal. Does it make sense to bind clutch on a button, or is the pedal absolutely necessary?

Its not instructins for the SIM but for manual cars in general. IRL and in LFS, so its not directed for the G25 users, just people who havent learned/dont know how to drive a manual transmission'd car.
I understood that. It's that I always drive in automatic gear, and my plan is to get rid of all the helps to slowly learn to control the beast.
So if that makes sense, my question remains.
Is a simple button enought to do the clutch pedal work?
Quote from Musachan :I understood that. It's that I always drive in automatic gear, and my plan is to get rid of all the helps to slowly learn to control the beast.
So if that makes sense, my question remains.
Is a simple button enough to do the clutch pedal work?

Yes, however it will be hard to figure out when to get back on throttle when you shift because you aren't using an axis.
Not necessarily. You just have to time your button push rate settings properly (although I prefer the max) and when you get on the power. A smooth shift will see the power on while releasing the clutch, although it does add a lot to clutch wear.

The other option is to use auto clutch, and have the button mapped for override.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG