The online racing simulator
i agree there should be more racing server,coz now its more cruising servers,aint good
Quote from dougie-lampkin :I would consider them to be more like a chat server, with cars thrown in for added effect it's more for unwinding and chilling rather than driving aimlessly around the track...

Sooo... it's a sport based on judges as drifting?
Maybe there are some judges who give points to the bests phrases in the chat... maybe judging the grammar correctness?

Don't think cruise could be categorized as motorsport but it sure may be fun (only enter once and think the point was run away from cops :nod
Quote from dougie-lampkin :Cruising is a form of motorsport....... Motorsport doesn't necessarily have to be a competition

Cruising is NOT in any way a motorsport.

Motorsport DOES have to involve some sort of competition. Hence the Sport part of the word.
I'm 5 years in LFS so I think I can compare.

IMO, it wasn't a pure racing sim even that time. There were wreckers going wrong way (before the wrong way kick was introduced), there were those who dragged. Drifters were there in LFS 0.2, cruise-like servers appeared yet in 2003 after S1 release (C&R then) and became kinda mainstream in 2006.

I can't say that racing is cleaner or dirtier than that time. I clearly remember that as soon as the serious people bought S1 licenses, most of the demo hosts became a cesspit (in 2004 I used to go there to practice agressive driving ). But in S1 and S2 there were good and bad races all the time. In public hosts once you would meet a group of insanely fast drivers. Another time there would be a couple of sly wreckers.

LFS is like a growing city: once it was a group of more or less similar interests. Now there are more people and more niches.
Quote from dougie-lampkin :Cruising is a form of motorsport. Motorsport doesn't necessarily have to be a competition of who can drive around a track fastest. Cruising IRL is a major part of youth society (In Ireland anyway), and I along with anybody who's ever seen it would call it motorsport.

The OP said lets not turn this into a flame war (/me grabs my flame retardant mask), and I agree. And demo users complaining about cruise servers? ROFL indeed...

Notice also I never said Scavier don't like drift, or even that I don't like drift...I just said it's sorta noobish, which I think it is...

Ladies and Gentelman, I officialy nominate this post to be the post of the decade ^

According to the proffesional cruiser represting racers, mr. dougie-lampkin:

Cruise = motorsport
Drifting = noobish motorsport

Does it mean that soon we will be watching live reports from Cruise Events? Will this be the next big thing on let's say eurosport? If you think yes - call 0700-I-Love-Cruising, if you think hovewer no - call 0700-Cruising-Booooo

The 2000th person to vote will win a proffesional cuirse car. Look forward to it!
Quote from RocksGt :Sooo... it's a sport based on judges as drifting?
Maybe there are some judges who give points to the bests phrases in the chat... maybe judging the grammar correctness?

No, I meant cruise servers!!!

Quote from kamkorPL :Ladies and Gentelman, I officialy nominate this post to be the post of the decade ^

According to the proffesional cruiser represting racers, mr. dougie-lampkin:

Cruise = motorsport
Drifting = noobish motorsport

Does it mean that soon we will be watching live reports from Cruise Events? Will this be the next big thing on let's say eurosport? If you think yes - call 0700-I-Love-Cruising, if you think hovewer no - call 0700-Cruising-Booooo

The 2000th person to vote will win a proffesional cuirse car. Look forward to it!

erm...first off, I never nominated myself as a any kind of spokesperson...just like I wouldn't accuse you of being the spokesperson of those opposed to cruising...

I also don't mean that it's the kind of motorsport that should be broadcasted on TV (IRL it's slightly illegal anyway)...but yes, there are live cruise reports, you just need to know where to look

And it depends what your definition of motorsport is, I'd say. Cruising does have competitions. OK, in real life, you don't get money for driving around (unless you drive a taxi or are a courier, but that's another story). But at real cruise events, there are mini-competitions like drag races, drifting and so on. Not ricer-style, but proper modded cars.

And yes, I do think that drift is rather noobish, along with the majority of LFS'ers. It's just a bunch of people trying to lose control. I can do that too, but you don't hear me screaming it out loud...
Quote from dougie-lampkin :
And yes, I do think that drift is rather noobish, along with the majority of LFS'ers. It's just a bunch of people trying to lose control. I can do that too, but you don't hear me screaming it out loud...

But isn't it a gazillion times more fun?
Erm...apart from having other noob-cakes watching you do it, I don't see the difference between drifting and spinning off...
do you know what is the fun about this topic,

80% of the guys that is saying that lfs isnt a race sim anymore , has a join date of 2007 , and let me tell you some thing , in 2007 lfs had the same amound of cruise/drift servers then what we have now...

on the and of the day, the old guys will still play lfs, as long we still have the lfs community
Quote from dougie-lampkin :Erm...apart from having other noob-cakes watching you do it, I don't see the difference between drifting and spinning off...

Ok but,

Would it not be fun to master the "art" of drifting. Making yourself do the drift untill you can do it correctly. Surely that must give satisfaction you can't exactly master cruising now, can you? So what is there to achieve, it must be quite boring driving 60mph around a full track when the cars are capable of much more?

Seriously though, drifting is more rewarding than cruising, and may I add that it is much more fun too!
Quote from niall09 :Ok but,

Would it not be fun to master the "art" of drifting. Making yourself do the drift untill you can do it correctly. Surely that must give satisfaction you can't exactly master cruising now, can you? So what is there to achieve, it must be quite boring driving 60mph around a full track when the cars are capable of much more?

Seriously though, drifting is more rewarding than cruising, and may I add that it is much more fun too!

Absolutely, if it's done correctly it's an art form. Like the proper D1 and the like. But when a group of noobs take to BL1 in an XRT, that's just plain noob-icity...

And cruising can be rewarding when you've unlocked all the cars, and you can shoot past the UF1's (And I know that you have all of the cars when you buy LFS, please don't try and use that as an argument...)
-
(dougie-lampkin) DELETED by dougie-lampkin : Look ^
Oh my God. If this is your way of thinking then you can as well say cruising, racing and everything is noobish when it's done by noobs. :melting:
No, you've missed my point...I was saying that drifting is mainly done by noobs...who can't keep a car on the road and cover it up as "drifting"
Crusing isn't a sport, but the illegal racing within it is. But that doesn't make the cruising bit motorsport at all.

Just like hockey isn't motorsport, even though most of the players arrived in a car.
Quote from tristancliffe :Crusing isn't a sport, but the illegal racing within it is. But that doesn't make the cruising bit motorsport at all.

Just like hockey isn't motorsport, even though most of the fans arrived in a car.

Fixed

And I don't agree. Motorsport is a very broad and vague definition, can't we narrow it down a bit?
No - it has to be a sport (competition, unlike cruising), and it has to involve motors (which generally means cars, but can be stretched to include boats, planes depending on context).
Quote from zeugnimod :Why shouldn't it be?

I dont know, i just didnt think it was a 'offical' motorsport
Of course it is. It's not racing, but it is a car based competition.
OK ty
Brillant comparision Tristan :ices_rofl

Looking at your age dougie-lampkin, I kind of think you will get bored with cruising once you get your driving license and experience it in real life. Nothing's better than traffic jams aye! Honestly, do what your cup of tea is, if this is what gives you fun, then so be it. But don't trash drifting saying it's done by noobs, when I can simply paste for example such video:

http://www.plactargowy.pl/bart/CCretardos.avi

But thing is - cruising is done on streets, and if it involves illegal racing then well.. That's another subject.

Drifting hovewer, is done by some on streets/touges, but it's mostly done on circuits where motorsport is taking place. I never heard of cruising event being held on a circuit.
Even I know that drifting is an official motorsport. What dimension are you living in?

Cruising... motorsport... :Eyecrazy: :chairfall

That has to be the joke of the century!
Quote from March Hare :Even I know that drifting is an official motorsport. What dimension are you living in?

Cruising... motorsport... :Eyecrazy: :chairfall

That has to be the joke of the century!

not everybody likes drifting... dont forget that!
couse i dont like drifting 2 and i do like cruising sometimes and a huge fan of motorsports.. so please dont do so silly
I'm silly if I want to be.

Besides if you check my ramblings on drift topics you'll notice I'm not a very big fan of it either.

LFS no longer a pure racing sim?
(160 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG