The online racing simulator
New opera is out! 9.5
(52 posts, started )
I really like the new opera
this version seems to run much faster.
The good news at least is that you can use the "classic" skin. Because that was my biggest problem with 9.50. Tools > Appearance... > Find more skins and it's the first option, for those who don't know.

It's definitely faster. With the old skin back on, I'm loving it again
Quote from kingfag :ALT texts are supposed to be shown when the img element is not displayed for whatever reason (hence the name, ALTernative). It does that just fine. The TITLE attribute is used to display a tooltip, wich is also does just fine.

but we all know that many sited use it differently so theres no point in insisting on not showing the alt text... heck even this forum did until not too long ago

Quote :The only browser that doesn't render wikipedia correctly is... drumroll... Internet Explorer 6. It fails to apply a smaller font to the references paragraph. I don't have IE7 over here so i can't see if the fixed it.

opera renders the whole wiki pages in a much smaller font than any other browser ive ever used... which looks pretty nasty and is downright annoying
You sure it's not just scaled it?

Numpad + and - scale text. Numpad * will reset it to default.

Sometimes my keys get hit accidentally (usually by cats) and pages grow and shrink at random
Quote from Shotglass :
opera renders the whole wiki pages in a much smaller font than any other browser ive ever used... which looks pretty nasty and is downright annoying

It's no different for me (screenshot) and I dont recall it changing in any version either.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :+1 to both.

...except you'll say Safari is better, which tbh sucks more than my hoover. It's OK as a bog standard browser I guess, but it lacks pretty much any function a user could want, other than it loads web pages.

I did use Opera for a long time, but have gone back to Firefox (3) now because I can't live without Firebug. Version 3 seems to suffer less memory leaks than previous versions.
Quote from Shotglass :but we all know that many sited use it differently so theres no point in insisting on not showing the alt text... heck even this forum did until not too long ago

Even IE6 properly shows the TITLE tag as a tooltip. As a non-standard bonus, it shows the ALT tag if no TITLE tag is available. So why use the ALT tag for something it was not designed for? Just "because all sites use it that way" is not a valid point, plain stupidity is never a good excuse.

Quote :

Are you sure you didn't use zoom? By default the font is exactly the same size as Firefox.
I just noticed IE6 fails to set the right font size on the whole wikipedia site, everything is just as big as the standard text. Is that what you mean? If so, don't blame a proper browser for displaying what the webdesigner designed.
Quote from Dajmin :You sure it's not just scaled it?

Numpad + and - scale text. Numpad * will reset it to default.

no absolutely not
the attachment shows the effect (ie ff opera 9.whatever was the most recent about a month ago from left to right)... the references are apparently rendered too big on ie but imho thats actually an advatage and obviously easier to read

Quote from Kegetys :It's no different for me (screenshot) and I dont recall it changing in any version either.

thats just weird... its been the way the attachment shows for quite some time now and not just on the windows installation im currently using

Quote from kingfag :So why use the ALT tag for something it was not designed for? Just "because all sites use it that way" is not a valid point, plain stupidity is never a good excuse.

its pointless to argue against de facto standard practice on a large number of websites
the simple fact is using alt instead of title for tooltips is extremely common and opera just wont display it

another thing both opera and ff completely fail at is using the search thingy in the top right in a sensible way by default if your windows language isnt english
opera insists on using google.de with the search set to finding only pages in german (useless) and ff has some generic google seach plugin that arbitrarily switches between google.de and google.com with no sensible way of changing the behaviour from the option menu (like you can with opera... except that opera doesnt let you change its default search settings)
Attached images
blubb.png
Quote from filur :You sure know alot about Opera.

i know but for some strange reason anything i change there ends up as another _new_ search engine choice as soon as i restart opera instead of changing the defaults that came with opera (which i cant delete either)

Quote from filur :And you probably want to visit http://google.com/ncr (http://www.google.com/search?q=google+ncr)

i do know how to get there but the thing is if i use it just once with firefox it somehow changes the default google search engine in firefox from google.de to google.com permanently (or at least until i manually use google.de serveral times untill it arbitrarily switches back to google.de again)
Quote from Shotglass :no absolutely not
the attachment shows the effect (ie ff opera 9.whatever was the most recent about a month ago from left to right)... the references are apparently rendered too big on ie but imho thats actually an advatage and obviously easier to read

but it's plain wrong. You can't blame a piece of software for actually working as it's supposed to do according to W3C standards.

Quote :
its pointless to argue against de facto standard practice on a large number of websites
the simple fact is using alt instead of title for tooltips is extremely common and opera just wont display it

Again, it's plain wrong. There's no point in using the alt tag for tooltips, especially since the title tag was designed to do exactly that. If the alt tag was the only way to show a tooltip i would agree with you, but there is a proper solution for this that even works on IE6.

And about the search box... You can change everything about it. Even better, you can add every text input field on a website to the search field options, just by right clicking on it and click "create search...".
Non-English searching I can't help you with though.

But I don't use the search box in the corner either. I use "g <whatever>" in the address bar Don't realise how useful that is until I get to work and it doesn't work in FF2
i prefer FF3 over opera
I cannot bring myself to condone the use of Opera.
I've been following Opera since the 5.xx versions and it gets better and better.. Built in e-mail client is a huge plus for me, and it's fast and sleek...
Quote from Becky Rose :I cannot bring myself to condone the use of Opera.

What has Firefoxx got that Opera hasn't.

Oh yes, I know, extensions.

Now, I've tried firefox and for me, I haven't found a single extension I'd use more than once per week. All of them are just toys and unuseful clutter for me.

I can sure understand you if you like using Firebug, but the other things.. Opera will have something like Firebug soon.
Mozilla 3.0 is out today. It's not the beta version yet.
Quote from Lible :May I ask what made you hate Firefox.

Opera fanboy here btw.

Sorry for the long reply.

The reason i did'nt like firefox is because of the looks, and the layout. For me, it did'nt cut it. It also seemed slower than IE, but that could have been me. The one thing that annoyed me though was everytime i opened firefox, it asked if i wanted to replace IE as my default browser, but with opera, it ask's you, and then you can tick a bix so it does'nt ask you again. Also, you can download new skins for opera so easily and fastily. Thats what has really appealed to me.
#46 - Jakg
Firefox does the same thing (in the options).

Find a theme, if it's on the Mozilla website, click the link, wait 5 secs, click install. Wait for it to download, then click "Restart Firefox". Job done.
My biggest problem with Opera is that a lot of sites don't support it. That's why I keep Firefox installed as well. If one doesn't do it, the other will. I was really pleased when I found out that you could add the mouse gestures plugin to FF too.

And y'know, anything that's not IE will get my vote. Evil evil thing that it is.
Quote from pb32000 :...except you'll say Safari is better, which tbh sucks more than my hoover. It's OK as a bog standard browser I guess, but it lacks pretty much any function a user could want, other than it loads web pages.

So next time I want my web browser to pick my nose, download torrents, wipe my ass, remind me to turn off the stove so I don't burn my hand in a grease fire, charge my cellphone and give me a ****ing BJ, I'll call on Opera, until then, I'll stick with Safari in OSX, and IE in Windows.

(Yeah, all... 10 minutes I'm ever in Windows)
Quote from Dajmin :My biggest problem with Opera is that a lot of sites don't support it. That's why I keep Firefox installed as well. If one doesn't do it, the other will. I was really pleased when I found out that you could add the mouse gestures plugin to FF too.

And y'know, anything that's not IE will get my vote. Evil evil thing that it is.

Yeah, my running forum has stopped working with Opera now
Quote from dawesdust_12 :So next time I want my web browser to pick my nose, download torrents, wipe my ass, remind me to turn off the stove so I don't burn my hand in a grease fire, charge my cellphone and give me a ****ing BJ, I'll call on Opera, until then, I'll stick with Safari in OSX, and IE in Windows.

(Yeah, all... 10 minutes I'm ever in Windows)

:P

Now that FireFTP, Firebug and Greasemonkey have been updated for FF3, I doubt I'll use Opera much any more.

New opera is out! 9.5
(52 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG