The online racing simulator
HDMI Out? DX10? HD AVIVO?
(6 posts, started )
HDMI Out? DX10? HD AVIVO? Are these features that I should have to future-proof a graphics card purchase in the next few days?

I'm still on AGP, so my choice of new cards is limited. My current one (X800XL) broke and I'm in the market for a new one.

I see several X1650 Pros on Newegg for good prices ($40-65). Why are these so cheap? Only 128-bit? How big of a difference does that make? How does this card compare to the X800XL?

EDIT: How big of a difference does GDDR2 vs GDDR3 make? How big of a difference is there between an X1650 Pro and this card? What are the big online computer parts stores in North America? Still Newegg and Tigerdirect?

Should I spend more and get something newer? If so which? I'd like to keep it ATI.

Thanks.
The 1650 Pro seems to be quite a crap card for me compared to my old X800XL. Much lower fillrate, less memory bandwidth, older RAM...

Looks like I'll have to spend more money than I was hoping.

How is the 3850?

Is it even worth upgrading to a much more powerful card? Will my system be a bottleneck? I'm running at stock speeds now but my CPU will easily go to 3.3 or 3.4GHz.

P4 2.8e @ 3.01GHz, HT enabled
2x512MB OZ PC3700 DDR466, matched pair, 2.5-3-3-5
MSI 865PE Neo2 PFISR, not overclocked, BIOS version 3.8 (I think)
Enermax Noisetaker 470W PSU
Seagate 200GB SATA HDD
WinXP Pro SP2 + latest updates
#3 - Jakg
TBH anything above what you have now will bottleneck your PC.

I'd save the cash for a cheap-o PCI-e / S775 E2140 / DDR2 system when i7 comes out.
I don't plan to upgrade to a new system. When this computer can't play games anymore, it will just browse the web. I'm through spending thousands on new PCs every few years; it's a futile effort. I don't give a shit what great PC technology is just over the horizon.

All I need is a card roughly similar to the performance of my X800XL. I just found an X850XT for $50 on ebay, which seems like a good deal considering all the other X850 series cards are at least twice that on ebay, and more than that elsewhere.
Yeah dude, like Jakg said, don't bother with DX10 or any other fancy schmantsy tech right now. AGP = old = not worth buying expensive parts.

What you're looking at is good.
If you just want it to browse the web and that kind of stuff, I'd say go for the cheapest possible, or just make yourself a budget you want to spend on it, go to a store and tell them: I have this money, sell me something overpriced That's what I did.

I just went out, said to the guy: I have 100 euros, I need it to have HDMI or equivalent exit, and it doesn't need to be super over the top.
So I got a 8600 GT and it does what I want, and for what I need it, it also does it pretty well too.

(6 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG