The online racing simulator
Centralising league news
(144 posts, started )
Please, Road Sport Winter Cup Season 2
done
Quote from Victor :1) well, it's kind of intended for single news 'events' yes. But, you can edit your post as many times as you want and you can add multiple results per post, so you can keep adding to a post as you go.
But if you'd do that, currently the post timestamp would remain the same, so the post would not appear on top, in the public eye when you add results, unless people will filter by your league (not yet added).

Good point about the time stamp. Here's some thoughts on the news interface relative to leagues/series and single events:

The main interface could be split into two sections (each sorted by timestamp):

1) For General LFS and league news and single event results posts

2) A section under that main news section that lists "headlines" (which simply could be something like "LOTA XRT Stock Car Cup - Winter 2008 Season - Race 1 Results"), that would be linked to the results entry of the same name within the series post. (I use the term 'series' because we call LOTA a 'league' and each type of racing a 'series', which then have coded season names.)

When filtering by league, a similar interface would show up with non-series specific news on top and the same results headlines.
Excellent Stuff Victor. One small thing.. when there is an error (for example in my case when adding an lfs user to edit and add news to a league ive added, i spelt the username wrong). The positioning of where it returns the error report isnt very clear (to me), perhaps it could be coloured Red, or Bold, or positioned above / below the submit button.
i'll have a look tomorrow. Bedtime now
2 things:
a) can you copy over the article i already did?
b) i can't edit my league (masters of endurance)
TJ, I also made a MoE entry. Maybe mine overwrote yours?

You're listed as an editor there, though.
Oh sorry, I have created a league by mistake (i thought that when I type only a league name, it will show an error ) Please remove the league named Test.
Quote from three_jump :2 things:
a) can you copy over the article i already did?
b) i can't edit my league (masters of endurance)

sorry no, I deleted all test content. Also the leagues that were setup while testing.
Can't wait for an automatic result upload with a xml file or something similar, cause manually adding the result is :nut:

What I miss is a RSS feed of the news, but I hope that this will come in the future.

Maybe some news categories like league announcement, race announcement, result, etc. make sence?

Nevertheless good work.
Quote from banshee56 :Good point about the time stamp. Here's some thoughts on the news interface relative to leagues/series and single events:

The main interface could be split into two sections (each sorted by timestamp):

1) For General LFS and league news and single event results posts

2) A section under that main news section that lists "headlines" (which simply could be something like "LOTA XRT Stock Car Cup - Winter 2008 Season - Race 1 Results"), that would be linked to the results entry of the same name within the series post. (I use the term 'series' because we call LOTA a 'league' and each type of racing a 'series', which then have coded season names.)

When filtering by league, a similar interface would show up with non-series specific news on top and the same results headlines.

Victor...any thoughts on this?
Quote from banshee56 :Victor...any thoughts on this?

I'm afraid I don't really understand your post. Would it be possible to illustrate it somehow?
I've added a filter option now and rss feeds (that take the filter into account, so you can setup a MoE news feed for example).
Also comments can be added to news items. Though I don't think many people will know about the lfsnews page yet But that'll come. Next thing on the list is putting the newest 5 headlines on the forum's main page.
Quote from Victor :Though I don't think many people will know about the lfsnews page yet But that'll come.

I've put an advertisement on my team website
Any chance of having a league abbreviation before the headline on the LFSF page? It's a matter of guessing which league it's about.

EDIT : Been a big noob and it's on the right ... it would be more visible on the left before the headline.
no when you posted it was only _JUST_ added. So before that there was indeed no league name and that's why you didn't spot one.
Nice Victor
Love what you're doing
Quote from Victor :I'm afraid I don't really understand your post. Would it be possible to illustrate it somehow?

This example is based on a guideline regarding news post submittal:

1) News posts can be about LFS general news, league season announcements, league champion announcements, and single event announcements.

2) Any results updates must be posted in the league/series season announcement post. You already have the "New results description", which would be the part of the headline. For example, in the picture below, the first headline reads "League of the Americas: XRT Stock Car Cup Winter 2008 - Banshee56 wins Round 2!". There you have the league title, the series/season post title (in this case "XRT Stock Car Cup Winter 2008"), and the "New results description" ("Banshee56 wins Round 2!"). See Pic #1

3) If you want to take it one step further, in the results interface, you could add an area (length limited, of course) for a short race report listed just above the results. See pic #2.

The overall intent of this suggestion is to give leagues a single place to have all of the news about a league/season in one place, rather than 10 different round results posts about a 10-race league/season. Not only would it help the reader to see all the news about a single season in one place, but the overall news interface would appear more organized. Every league admins wants his/her news at the top as long as possible and with multiple leagues posting single round results, each post will get shuffled down very quickly.

EDIT: On the RSS feed, only the news post title gets submitted. Like Duke's suggestion, it would be good to add the league title/abbreviation to the RSS feed items.
Attached images
LFSWorld_News_Results.png
LFSWorld_News_Results_Report_Interface.png
After some thought i see what you mean. It could be nice to have league-season news visible in one go, rather than having separate news posts only.
However I don't think your implementation example would work well, so I'll try to come up with another solution to do the same thing.

I've made a start with that now. You can add seasons to your league entry and when submitting news, you can set which season the news is for (or no season at all).
That way it'll be possible for me to later on collect news posts from a certain season and display them somehow. Probably not all on one page, but with headlines that can be clicked that take you to the news item in question.

I said "later on" because I need to think about that one a bit and because I have to do something else this week. But I added the season selection now already so that people can at least indicate the difference in their news post.

oh and about the rss feed - it's a real shame rss readers don't take the category field into account. That field indicates what category the news is from. I'd really not like to add that field to the news title itself actually. It's just wrong formatting.
OK, I see the changes you've made. With a multiple series league like that which I am involved, LFS News per the suggestions I made might have worked like this:

Registered League: League of the Americas
  1. Series #1: Submit a news post for one season of series #1
    • Results added for round 1
    • Results added for round 2
    • etc etc
  2. Series #2: Submit a news post for one season of series #2
    • etc etc
OK, now that the season information is in the league registration area, I'm likely going to be doing this:

Registered League: League of the Americas Series #1
  1. Season #1: Submit a news post for season one of series #1
    • etc etc
  2. Season #2: Submit a news post for season two of series #1
    • etc etc
Not really a lot of differences between the two in that each news post will be about a single season, with all of it's season's results added as they happen. I suppose each news post could be updated to include a small round report in the main body rather than just above the results listing.

The real difference that I see here (at least relative to a league like LOTA), is that to structure the news correctly and have all of a season's results/news in one post and cut down on post count, I will have to register each series that LOTA runs as it's own league. Compared to the majority of leagues in LFS, each LOTA series is basically a separate league in and of itself. Registering each series won't be a huge deal, at least until you consider the way you can currently filter the news. If I have to register each LOTA series as a separate league, then people looking for LOTA news will have several different things to choose from in the filter, versus getting all LOTA-related news with one filter.

EDIT: Hmms...I've looked at it a bit longer, and perhaps I was a bit incorrect. It looks like I can add multiple seasons to a league. For LOTA, I can simply add a season called Series #1 Season #1, add another called Series #2 Season #1, etc etc.. That would work pretty well.

EDIT2: Something else I was meaning to ask about your response was about my "headlines" suggestion. To make this work, you would have to apply a time stamp to the individual results entries of each post. Is that possible? I'm just curious how you are going to extract the headlines from updates made to news posts.
about your first EDIT - yes, that's what i thought you could do. If you name it consistently, it can eventually even be sorted nicely per league / per season.

about EDIT2 - each post is still a full post on its own. So as you go along posting updates for a season, every latest update will show as a new post at the top of the news listing. It will also have its own results listing(s). But (this bit i still have to make and need to think about) the idea is that you should also be able to see links (headlines) to other news posts in the same season.
So for example when you view an individual post you'll see at the end of that post all other headlines of the same series. Click one of those and that news item will show in full detail.

That way one can still attach files / images to each and every news post (to write a race report for example, with pics), whether it's a season update or not and results can be added to each news post. And finally whenever you add a post to a season, that news post will be visible on the top of the news listing (which was a problem meantioned earlier).
Just a quick question, and sorry if i've missed it, but is it possible to add more than one set of results to each new post?

EG the current league im running has three races per session..?
I think we might be on a different page here. Can you add multiple results entries in a single news post?

I.E. After race 1 on November 9th, I would go add results for the XRT Stock Car Cup to the news post. After race 2 on November 16th, can I go back to that same post (http://www.lfsworld.net/?win=news&nid=10) and make an additional entry for results, or do I have to make a new news post?

For the results updates headlines, I was referring to the possibility that each successive results entry on a single post would have it's own time stamp, so that a reader could see that I've added results information to that one post. That headlines area would only show those updates and not new news post listings.

EDIT: GAH! Stoney beat me to it!

***On a side note, I just tried to add results to the XRT Stock Car Cup news post, and got an error. To set up the explanation, you'll need to know the points structure I tried to enter: The series events has 3 races per event, plus bonus points. There is an individual plus a team championship. The way I configured the results columns was this: username, playername, team, car, points (from race 1), points (from race 2), points (from race 3), points (bonus), penalty, and total points. Each time I entered info, it gave me an error claiming incorrect car info in the field where I was entering total points. Was this operator error, or something else? (See attached pic)
Attached images
LFSNews_results_errors.PNG
Ive asked my own question... Yes, indeed you can
yep.

Banshee - please try it again - should work now.

Centralising league news
(144 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG