The online racing simulator
LFS made me get my driver's license
Not sure if anyone will read all this but want to share this here regardless. Firstly I want to thank to the developers who is developing this game, imo the best game ever existed, for all of this 22 years.

I started playing this game on around 2013 (with oldest LFS account I remember being https://www.lfs.net/profile/1477564). I was 7-8 years old back then and this was the first realistic racing game I played, unlike arcade ones before, hence giving me first ideas about how to drive; and also the one of my first multiplayer experiences.

After getting to middle school, I met with my best friend to this date and we played LFS together a lot. The difference this time is, we usually focused on getting best performance on a car and played with tweaking to do fast cars and it taught me about some general physics and also specific vehicle physics and terminology. We also bought LFS licenses after growing up enough to do so.

Some years after, my dad started to teach me driving but he had nothing to teach because I already know how to drive after playing LFS for years Cool. After high school ended, I got in drivers school, gone through it without any huge problems, did some practises on LFS for parkings before practical exam by making a similar layout to real life exam parkour (see attachments) and passed the exam easily thanks to that practises and years of playing LFS

That's the story. Thanks to you too for reading this far.
Attached images
2024-09-06 01_43_16-Clipboard.png
2024-09-06 01_44_57-Clipboard.png
I'm glad you passed your driving license exam without any problems. Simulation games play a big role in the driving license exam. I think the most important thing is steering control. Other parts are very technical issues. Parallel Parking and "L" parking are really difficult. But I don't know if this is possible with LFS (rules for parallel parking and L parking).
Quote from RealistAdam :Parallel Parking and "L" parking are really difficult. But I don't know if this is possible with LFS (rules for parallel parking and L parking).

I replicated the parallel and L parking parkours in LFS (as visible on photos I attached) and using same techniques as real life works there too but parkours are not 1:1 same as real life (mainly as size, apparently LFS one was more narrow than real life one.)
Good to hear that!

I've been thinking about creating an InSim application which would serve as a tutorial for these kinds of situations. It would consist of various driving lessons to teach things like car control, parking, speed limits, pedestrian crossings, intersections, traffic lights, lane changes etc. It would keep track of your progress, guide you through the lessons, point out mistakes.

What do you think about this idea?
Quote from Flame CZE :Good to hear that...

That sounds really good idea. Especially for ability to tracking mistakes like bumping to cones and not using blinkers etc. A leaderboard would also enable some competetion among players.
Quote from Flame CZE :Good to hear that!

I've been thinking about creating an InSim application which would serve as a tutorial for these kinds of situations. It would consist of various driving lessons to teach things like car control, parking, speed limits, pedestrian crossings, intersections, traffic lights, lane changes etc. It would keep track of your progress, guide you through the lessons, point out mistakes.

What do you think about this idea?

It could be beautiful. I think there may be private areas for everyone within a server (demo (12)-licensed (40)). When the player enters the server, he can only complete tracks specific to that area. Going to other players' tracks may be prohibited.

Or it can be a public area and given specific tasks with InSim. In this way, players can have a specific goal. Speed ​​limits, traffic signs and more. We should not forget the engines. There may be a driving area within the engines.

Adding new objects can be especially enjoyable.
https://www.lfs.net/forum/post/2028516#post2028516

I think it's time to bring old work to life. Many players can't wait to test them.
Quote from RealistAdam :We should not forget the engines. There may be a driving area within the engines.

You mean motorcycles as "engine"? Big grin

LFS made me get my driver's license
(8 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG