The online racing simulator
Just wanted to keep this alive- skid sound bug-
I will quote the post from RSC that Niels_at_home made. I want to keep this bug report alive so that it gets fixed eventually.
===================================================
longitudinally locked tyres (braking) don't make a sound!

Doing lots of setup testing, I saw puffs of smoke in my Lx4 left mirror while braking for a turn. I had the tyre locked, but no tyre sounds where playing!

Audio clues to locked tyres are important, and I have managed to get 'silent' lockups on all cars I tried.

http://forum.rscnet.org/showthread.php?t=215865

He made a video too.. in this thread.

http://forum.rscnet.org/showpo ... p=2528562&postcount=6
Apparently the amount of noise a tyre makes depends on the load on the specific wheel (in LFS). This was probably done with the intention to reduce the amount of screeching when turning the wheel at slow speeds or while standing. Unfortunately, that solution didn't do any good, and now we still have weirdly squeaking tyres at low speed yet completely silent tyres at lockups or FWD burnouts.
Whatever the reason, I really hope that in the next patch, we can hear the tire lock up.. In a sim this is crucial, since we can't feel it all the time in the FF.. We need a loud tire skidding sound INSTANTLY when the tire locks up. Whether is is always going to be realistic or not is debatable, but we need this unless you want to drive in the custom view when you can actually SEE the tires.

I drive cockpit view- it is a sim. I need to hear the tire lock.
#4 - (SaM)
Hmm, as far as I know in some cases when tires skid longitudinally, they dont 'hop' at a really fast rate over the asphalt. This causes the tires to slide steadily making more a 'Sshhh' kind of sound. I've had it in a Ford Fiesta and a Mitsubishi van.
If they do hop though, the fast hopping creates a high pitched squeek.
I'm not quite sure of this, but it could also be linked to the tyre "only" flexing sideways and up/down, but not forth and back, if you get what I mean. This (in LFS missing) flexing could be the cause for the tyres to stick, unstick, stick, unstick, ... which makes the screeching noise.
Just did a quick test in the FOX. First, brake balance all the way forward. Stopped on a straight, wheels straight. Start slowly accelerating, touch the brake just enough to lock the fronts... very noticeable skidding sound. Now move the brake balance all the way to the back and repeat the test... rears lock, but no skidding sound, just a quiet 'shhhhhh'.

I'll do a bit more investigation, but could it be that locked driven wheels don't make the skidding sound?
Quote from TechAde :Just did a quick test in the FOX. First, brake balance all the way forward. Stopped on a straight, wheels straight. Start slowly accelerating, touch the brake just enough to lock the fronts... very noticeable skidding sound. Now move the brake balance all the way to the back and repeat the test... rears lock, but no skidding sound, just a quiet 'shhhhhh'.

I'll do a bit more investigation, but could it be that locked driven wheels don't make the skidding sound?

Look at the thread at RSC and download the video..

It makes a sound when BOTH WHEELS are locked.. but NOT when just ONE WHEEL is locked (on the front)..
Quote from BWX232 :Look at the thread at RSC and download the video..

It makes a sound when BOTH WHEELS are locked.. but NOT when just ONE WHEEL is locked (on the front)..

Read the thread, downloaded the replay. Thinking about it, maybe the reason I didn't get tyre squeal with the rear-biased brake balance test I did was because of the low load on the rears under braking. So I'll shut up now, sorry for interrupting.
Quote from TechAde :Read the thread, downloaded the replay. Thinking about it, maybe the reason I didn't get tyre squeal with the rear-biased brake balance test I did was because of the low load on the rears under braking. So I'll shut up now, sorry for interrupting.

I was just making sure you knew what the "bug" was.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG