The online racing simulator
Laptop getting ideas . . .
(2 posts, started )
Right. Ready for this?

My housemates Laptop has gone into meltdown. It was fine last week but then my housemate took it away for a few days (Allowed, it is hers afterall) and it's come back knackered. It starts, then halfway through the windows load it goes to a BSOD which sais it's in an infinite loop at G3SNP or something like that. It doesn't stay around long enough for me to read it properly. It then restarts, goes to safe mode at which point I load up Safe mode with networking and this is where I am now.

So, I back date thingy to a few days ago when I knew it was working fine and guess what after an hour of watching a little bar crawl it's way across the screen it restarts as per normal. Everything fine cool and dandy.

But then . . . windows wants to update. Bells are ringing. I wonder, me thinks. I let it update itself this time and guess what next time it starts, BSOD. Same infinite loop thing again. So I go through the whole process again all at 2.00am in the morning because I have an Email to send before a deadline and low and behold it works again. So, Triumphant I think thats it. I turn of the autoupdate. Haha, I say, that'll get you. But no. Come down this morning, turn on the beast from hell and BSOD, same infinite loop. Safe mode with networking again. What else I cry plaintivily into the ether. Oh foul beast from the depths of the firey hell itself, what else must you plague me with. I do a virus check, I back thingy again and again, works great the first time I run the machine and then it goes right back to BSOD. I can't work it out.

(Apparently, according to my housemates B/F's housemate with whom I'm working with at the moment (I will be testing you afterwards) they left the computer on all night without sending it to sleep and on a duvet which was ont he sofa. He said it was so hot in the morning when he came down that he cold hardly touch it.)

So. What is wrong with this ere laptop, has it cooked itself or is it a software issue? Do you reckon I can fix it? It's just confusing me how it can work fine the first time and then only work in safve mode the next time. Can't figure it.

Help me. Or rather help my housemate. Actually help me because I'm going to get the blame whether it was my fault or not.

What are your thoughts LFS community?
Quote from Funnybear :(Apparently, according to my housemates B/F's housemate with whom I'm working with at the moment (I will be testing you afterwards) they left the computer on all night without sending it to sleep and on a duvet which was ont he sofa. He said it was so hot in the morning when he came down that he cold hardly touch it.)

Nothing unusual there. That was a bit of a stupid move, especially if its a modern laptop. Doubly so if its an intel mac book pro.

Quote from Funnybear :So. What is wrong with this ere laptop, has it cooked itself or is it a software issue? Do you reckon I can fix it? It's just confusing me how it can work fine the first time and then only work in safve mode the next time. Can't figure it.

The BSOD often tells a thousand words, which is unfortunate. Turn off auto-reboot (system properties > advanced tab > bottom setting button > untick automagically restart and make sure write an event to system log is ticked) in safe mode and try and make it BSOD again. Once you have the BSOD error and associated hex value, you've got something to work with.

If it still reboots so you can't see the BSOD then check the event system log (right click my computer, goto manage, expand system tools and look at the system log for errors).

The fact that you can start in safe mode indicates that its probably a driver at fault. A solution would be to de-install as many as possible and load them on one at a time until you work out which one it is.

(2 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG