The online racing simulator
Drifting??
(18 posts, started )
Drifting??
Just wondering what other people do to get a car to drift.
Way ive been doin it is pulling the handbrake at the beginning of a bend, dropping it in to 2nd then counter steering and tapping the accelerator.
I have to slow down to around 50 or 60 mph also.

I know that there are loads of different ways of drifting and was wondering what people use the most.

I really only use the XRT Turbo, 9 times out of 10 i can drift pretty well but other times something happens and i jus end up spinning out or something. Guess im revving too high.

Oh and sorry if a post like this has been made once before but i couldnt fid nething. Plus with drifting becoming even more popular i jus thought why not.
first you need a setup to allow you to drift
http://setupfield.teaminferno. ... ar_id=29&p_version=S2

next.. i gotta go actually; you shouldn't have to brake unless your going to fast, but with the XRT most of the time you can just get it out sideways just by getting it unsteady and keeping the RPMs high
Oh yea i forgot to mention ive been using a few different set ups. But i mainly use one of them as it seems to work wit the track i play on alot.
I know that different setups work differently for different tracks too. Thats why i have been on jus the one track. Practicing. Hopefully wen ive got pretty good at drifting on that track i will go to another one.
#4 - Jakg
he meant a drift setup that works for any track, and im geussing your stuck with poor old blackwood gp rev seeing as your demo
lol yea i am stuck wit jus that track. But it ent all bad. I prefer to stay on one track, then i can learn where are the best places to brake and to line my self up for the bend.
Hehe two Big Daves .
Get S2, drive the FZ50. <3. It's (in my opinion) the best drift car. With a good setup, touch the throttle and it slides in. Throttle and counter-steer and you can drift where ever you wish it to go.
Quote :
Hehe two Big Daves .

not as bad as the time there was:
captain slow (me)
captain medium (???)
captain fast (???)

all in one cops and robbers server. now that was annoying.
In my experience of drifting in lfs any technique used IRL can be used in lfs. Feinting, handbrake, clutch kicking, down shifting. On blackwood reversed i rarely use the brakes. Take after the first sector that chicane if you get it side ways at about 80m you can travel side ways till the chicane and slows you down suitably for the corner.

When i read you post about second gear thought was strange but if your using the standard gear ratio's most corners on blackwood are drifted in 2nd.
Quote from Greboth :In my experience of drifting in lfs any technique used IRL can be used in lfs. Feinting, handbrake, clutch kicking, down shifting. On blackwood reversed i rarely use the brakes. Take after the first sector that chicane if you get it side ways at about 80m you can travel side ways till the chicane and slows you down suitably for the corner.

When i read you post about second gear thought was strange but if your using the standard gear ratio's most corners on blackwood are drifted in 2nd.

I can usualy hit entire autocross courses with out hitting the brake, using powerover and engine brake can both speed you up and slow you down as nessecary while taking the whole track sideways. A little harder to keep a slide while engine braking, but its a good way to break the traction.
Quote from m374llic4 :I can usualy hit entire autocross courses with out hitting the brake, using powerover and engine brake can both speed you up and slow you down as nessecary while taking the whole track sideways. A little harder to keep a slide while engine braking, but its a good way to break the traction.

When tyres are heated perfectly (F9 menu tyre tread will be green) then its harder but when your tyres are hot its soooo much easier. Messing around on demo i found after about 3 or 4 laps the downhill left hander T1 at blackwood reverse and the right hander after i oculd dirft purely on engine braking as i shift from 4th down to 2nd. Throw it in lift off completely and as my car was straightening up shift down to third keeping the slide, same down to 2nd and then just power out of the corner

To orginal poster - Drifting (as well as curcuit an drag racing) its all about practice People can tell you how to drift, what your doing wrong but in then end its all practice
99% of the time i use what is called a Scandinavian Flick. For example, as you approach a right hand corner, you steer quickly left, let off the throttle, quickly steer back right, get back on the throttle, then control the slide through the corner.

There are MANY different ways to drift though, and like Greboth said, it all comes down to practice and which method you prefer.
Quote from dave4002000 :99% of the time i use what is called a Scandinavian Flick. For example, as you approach a right hand corner, you steer quickly left, let off the throttle, quickly steer back right, get back on the throttle, then control the slide through the corner.

There are MANY different ways to drift though, and like Greboth said, it all comes down to practice and which method you prefer.

Most people call that weight shifting.

Look at this video, it explains the different ways on how to enter a corner (drifting) and how to hold the drift. It is very helpful with people that don't know how to drift or aren't sure if they do it correctly.

http://video.google.es/videopl ... 4367640&q=drift+bible
Or feinting - as feint left then go right or otherway round.
Drift bible sooooo great. *watches*
Quote from diablo21 :Most people call that weight shifting.

sorry for using the technical name illepall
the search button is your best friend
yes watching the drift bible is definatly a must! great details like the foot camara, the front braking light or the forces that are made visible.
i´d recommend this for all racers to watch, even if they hate drifting.
to know your enemy can help you defeating him...

peace mo

Drifting??
(18 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG