AMD Vs Intel
Right, im building a new pc,

i need to decide wether to get AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5000+ 2.60GHz

Or Intel Intel Core 2 DUO E6600 "LGA775 Conroe" 2.40GHz

i just need some advice, this pc will have 2 nvidia card on Sli and 4gbs RAM

this pc will be used for pro video editing and gaming

cheers
#2 - Vain
I'd go with a E6300 and OC it to the E6600 level. The E6300 can easily take it and it's a bang/buck-blockbuster.

Vain
Quote from Ghostelites :this pc will be used for pro video editing and gaming

Who in their righteous mind would want a pro video edit setup on a gaming rig? illepall

Buy a Mac for editing and stick with PC for gaming, say, for a couple of years and then use Mac for both as MS puts itself out of business by shooting itself in the knee with Vista and then amputates the wrong leg by mistake.
definately conroe ... not even close
sorry
Quote from spankmeyer :Who in their righteous mind would want a pro video edit setup on a gaming rig? illepall .

Im doing media tech for my college course and need a pc capable of playing games and editing film, the movies arnt pro but the software requires a decent setup,
The Conroe is definitely a much better chip. The E6600 is equivalent to or faster than an FX-62, which is clocked another 200 MHz faster than the 5000+, has a 1MB cache per core (versus 512KB per core on the 5000+) and costs A LOT more.

The only problem is the price of Conroe (LGA 775) motherboards, which tend to be a bit more expensive than Socket AM2 boards.

I went with the E6400 and an ASUS P5B Deluxe.

Benchmarks: http://www.anandtech.com/cpuch ... owdoc.aspx?i=2802&p=9
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
I was the same way. I've never, EVER bought an Intel chip. Until now. And it flies.

O/T: CPU's I've owned
Pentium 166 MHz (I never actually bought this one, it was given to me by my father as the first computer that I could call my own)
K6-2 300 MHz, 400 MHz, 500 MHz
Duron 600 MHz (Spitfire core)
Athlon 1000 MHz (Thunderbird core)
Athlon XP 1600+ (1400 MHz, Palomino core), 3000+ (2100 MHz, Barton core)
Core 2 Duo E6400 (2133 MHz, Conroe core)
#8 - _Rob_
I was the same too, not had a Intel pc in about 14 years or something, until my new E6300
(ok, got an Intel laptop in january, but not counting that)
Quote from Ghostelites :Right, im building a new pc,

i need to decide wether to get AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5000+ 2.60GHz

Or Intel Intel Core 2 DUO E6600 "LGA775 Conroe" 2.40GHz

i just need some advice, this pc will have 2 nvidia card on Sli and 4gbs RAM

this pc will be used for pro video editing and gaming

cheers

Cpu - Currently The Intel Conroe is the faster cpu (at least for now)

But another thing, I dont think you actually need 4gb of ram, I think that may be overkill. I would say 1gb would be good enough then in a year or something if u need the extra ram add some more. but 2gb would be enough for you. even if your doing the video editing.

Also might not be worth to get 2 SLI cards now. Might be better to get a higher model SLI card then in a card when you need more power add another one which will probably be half the price by then.

Also make sure you got a good quality powersupply to handle SLI if u get it. OCZ make Very good ps's & 5 year warrenty.

Ciao
I would say conroe cause they beat the opants off the AMD CPU's. I was an AMD fanboy up untill i saw the reviews of the comparison between the new Intel Core 2 Duo and the AMD 62 FX. The difference is big.Read This review it should help with your decision.

In about two and a half months ill be upgrading to

Ram: GeIL 2GB (2x1GB) PC5300 667MHz Value DDR2 Dual Channel Kit (GX22GB5300DC) (MY-034-GL) http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Geil_DDR2_Memory.html

Motherboard : Asus P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe http://www.asus.com/products.a ... amp;amp...amp;modelmenu=1

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6400.

TO Forbin: You do know that CPU can be OC'd to 2.88ghz safely on stock cooling dont you?
I was thinking of building myself a computer in the future. Except, i was figuring AMD Althlon 64 (AM2) one 6800XT, 2GB of DDR2, and a 250GB hard drive. That way, I could upgrade to a Athlon 64 x2 later. And but another 6800XT for SLI. Although, athlon 62 x2's might not be that much more expensive.
The Core 2 Duo e 6400 is cheaper and IF you OC it it will be a faster setup for less money.
Isn't $237 a bit steep though? What if you are a cheap bastard like me?
It is but think of it this way. When You get it to its maximum Overclocking with stock cooling it beats the AMD FX 62 easily which is over 3 times its price. This means that you will be paying very little money for what you are getting. If you read the review on the link posted you will see What I mean

Also When I built this system in march I paid over 350 euros for this cpu and now I can buy it for 110 euro less.

Heres a quote from the review
Quote :The E6400 finds itself in between the X2 4200+ and X2 4600+ in price, but in performance the E6400 generally lands in between the 4600+ and 5000+. Once again, with these 2MB parts the performance advantage isn't nearly as impressive as with the 4MB parts (partly due to the fact that their native clock speed is lower, in addition to the smaller L2 cache), but even with AMD's new price cuts the Core 2 is still very competitive at worst. If you're not opposed to overclocking, then the E6400 can offer you more than you can get from any currently shipping AMD CPU - our chip managed an effortless 2.88GHz overclock which gave €780 (us $1000) CPU performance for €174.52 ($224).

and another
Quote :If you are simply interested in maximum processor performance, P965 with any of the Core 2 Duo parts is going to be very fast. Gamers on the other hand are probably going to at least want to think about SLI/CrossFire, as typical gaming settings will be GPU limited with just about any current single GPU. That means they might need to pay more for an appropriate motherboard, especially if overclocking is a primary concern. We're also waiting to find out how nForce 500 for Intel does in the overclocking arena; at present, there's definitely concerns about whether or not the NVIDIA motherboards can reach the high FSB speeds that are required for overclocking everything but the X6800.

The E6300 and E6400 can easily overclock to E6700 and Core 2 Extreme X6800 levels, though the smaller cache does limit performance a bit. That being said, our overclocked E6300 was able to equal and in all cases but one outperform AMD's Athlon 64 FX-62. In fact, in quite a few benchmarks, the overclocked E6300 is essentially out of reach of anything AMD can offer with their current K8 designs. At €142.58 ($183), the value here is tremendous, and if you're willing to overclock the benefits don't get any clearer than that.

Quote from steve30x :TO Forbin: You do know that CPU can be OC'd to 2.88ghz safely on stock cooling dont you?

Well aware, however I've been having problems with getting it stable at anything over 320MHz FSB (ASUS P5B Deluxe). I'm running the latest BIOS (507) and at 333 MHz, I get rounding errors in Prime95, even with the multiplier dropped to 6x from the stock 8x, so it's clearly a motherboard problem (RAM was also underclocked).

As a matter of fact, it's MUCH more stable at 420MHz than at 350MHz (instead of errors, the system reboots itself at 350MHz as soon as I start Prime95) but at 420MHz, I still get errors in Prime95. I read on the Anandtech forums that this particular board is weird like that, it has a range between 350 and 400MHz in which it just doesn't work right. I also tried playing with the motherboard voltages but to no avail.

I'm currently running at 300MHz FSB with the stock 8x multiplier for a core clock of 2.4GHz.
I am not talking about getting an X2, I just want to get a single core Athlon 64.
Ive read a review of the MOBO im buying (cant rember where) that the mobo im buying will OC that cPU with no problems.

I am currently running my System OC'd.

CPU AMD Athlon XP 64 3700 @ 2.4ghz (was 2.2ghz)
Ram 2.5 , 3 , 3 , 7 (stock 3 , 4 , 4 8)
2X BFG Geforce 7600 GT OC's in sli mode @ 600 / 1550 (was 580 / 1450)

3D Mark Score 11110.

To wheel4hummer: Oh right then by all means go for that single core.
steve why would you want to buy a new sys already ? its not like a conroe will be significantly faster than your current system (at least not to the point where its actually noticeable)
Quote from Forbin :Well aware, however I've been having problems with getting it stable at anything over 320MHz FSB (ASUS P5B Deluxe). I'm running the latest BIOS (507) and at 333 MHz, I get rounding errors in Prime95, even with the multiplier dropped to 6x from the stock 8x, so it's clearly a motherboard problem (RAM was also underclocked).

As a matter of fact, it's MUCH more stable at 420MHz than at 350MHz (instead of errors, the system reboots itself at 350MHz as soon as I start Prime95) but at 420MHz, I still get errors in Prime95. I read on the Anandtech forums that this particular board is weird like that, it has a range between 350 and 400MHz in which it just doesn't work right. I also tried playing with the motherboard voltages but to no avail.

I'm currently running at 300MHz FSB with the stock 8x multiplier for a core clock of 2.4GHz.

if you want it stable feed it ALOT of volts.. You need about 1.45V on the cpu, 1.65 on the chipset, and the fsb termination voltage around 1.4v

That seems to make it pretty stable here.
Quote from Shotglass :steve why would you want to buy a new sys already ? its not like a conroe will be significantly faster than your current system (at least not to the point where its actually noticeable)

With default settings the Conroe will make no difference but when Overclocked to 2.88ghz the new setup will blitz my current system.
-
(510N3D) DELETED by 510N3D
Quote from steve30x :With default settings the Conroe will make no difference but when Overclocked to 2.88ghz the new setup will blitz my current system.

i doubt that youll really notice any difference unless you have a game thats barely running on your current cpu

AMD Vs Intel
(21 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG