The online racing simulator
Upgrade Advice - CPU or Graphics Card?
I got this new PC a few weeks ago, with these specifications.

Athlon 3500+ 64 Bit (Venice)
2GB RAM PC3200
256MB Nvidia Graphics Card 6800GT AGP X8.

The motherboard does support Athlon X2. *which was why I got the motherboard in the first place*

Ever since I have heard the improvements of the Athlon X2, I'm excited of getting one myself. I could afford it now if I want to, but I'm settled with what I have for the moment. I do intend of getting it after new year, where it should be cheaper by then.

Also, I am interested of getting a new graphics card. The gforce 7 series.

What do you think?
#2 - Jakg
whats your current graphics card? and can you wait for DX10 cards? remember, dual core isnt amazing quicker just yet
Quote from Jakg :whats your current graphics card? and can you wait for DX10 cards? remember, dual core isnt amazing quicker just yet

Read my post again Jakg, I posted my graphics card

What are the DX10 cards? Will they be AGP made? If not. I may have to go for Geforce 7 series in the end. When do they come out?
#4 - Jakg
Quote from BigDave2967 :Read my post again Jakg, I posted my graphics card

What are the DX10 cards? Will they be AGP made? If not. I may have to go for Geforce 7 series in the end. When do they come out?

" 256MB Nvidia Graphics Card AGP X8. " isnt very descriptive!

DX10 is DirectX 10, most cards are DX9, and with Vista some games (ie those ones that look really good) will need DX10 (which will only work on Vista) and a DX10 card, AGP, don't know, but they are coming out soon (ie by the end of the year), which means if they are AGP, you can buy a lot faster card (i hear the new line will be the 8xxxx, and that the 8600 will cost the same as a 7600, but run as fast as a 7900GT, but if its AGP it will be slower (the poorest quality cards get underclocked and made AGP, yet cost more im afraid), and if they dont come in AGP (or you cant afford them!), then the prices of the other graphics cards will fall as thier is "a new kid on the block"

Personally im waiting for the 8600, but i also know once i buy it i'll eBay my 6600GT's and get virtually nothing for them (in fact their the same speed as a stock 6800GT, only you need an SLi mobo to get them working so ill get even less)
Quote from Jakg :" 256MB Nvidia Graphics Card AGP X8. " isnt very descriptive!

DX10 is DirectX 10, most cards are DX9, and with Vista some games (ie those ones that look really good) will need DX10 (which will only work on Vista) and a DX10 card, AGP, don't know, but they are coming out soon (ie by the end of the year), which means if they are AGP, you can buy a lot faster card (i hear the new line will be the 8xxxx, and that the 8600 will cost the same as a 7600, but run as fast as a 7900GT, but if its AGP it will be slower (the poorest quality cards get underclocked and made AGP, yet cost more im afraid), and if they dont come in AGP (or you cant afford them!), then the prices of the other graphics cards will fall as thier is "a new kid on the block"

Personally im waiting for the 8600, but i also know once i buy it i'll eBay my 6600GT's and get virtually nothing for them (in fact their the same speed as a stock 6800GT, only you need an SLi mobo to get them working so ill get even less)

I edited it, forgot to put the 6800GT on it. *blush* Thanks for clearing it up.
#6 - Jakg
Quote from BigDave2967 :I edited it, forgot to put the 6800GT on it. *blush* Thanks for clearing it up.

right, well the 6800 is a decent card (even the agp version), although why someone would sell a motherboard that supports the latest dual core cpu's, but is still AGP seems a little wierd, and its a shame because PCI-E graphics cards tend to be cheaper (well, i think that the price of AGP cards is being inflated to drive people off them actually, but thats not the point!), but i doubt you want a new motherboard

as for the new 8-series being AGP, aparently (from my "contact" who could be wrong) its PCI-E only, so you better hope their quick, becuase if they are then it might tempt a few people to upgrade and eBay that old 7800...

Oh yes - i must point out the release date of this card really is speculation, DX10 is pointless without Vista, and i doubt they will release it before Vista, and Vista is delayed so much, who knows when they may end up being release
Well the only reason I bought that motherboard, was because I had that decent graphics card for a year.

It doesnt stop me from changing it next year. I found that it would be a waste to get rid of a decent graphics card.

It'd be cheap to replace anyway, since I have the processor and RAM, and other specs needed.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG