iPod?
(36 posts, started )

Poll : iPOd

No, I do not have an iPod
Yes, I have an iPod
Yes, I really like my iPod
No, I don't like my iPod
iPod?
I'd like to know who's got an iPod, and what do you think of it? What iPod do you have? What's good about the iPod, and what's bad? I want to know because i'm going to buy one, and I don't want to regret my purchase after a few months.
well uhhh I wouldnt have one, it wouldnt last a few weeks with me hehe but then you would know what im like if you wanna get it, get it...
I bought one a week or two ago. I'm glad I bought it; no more choosing which 30 or so songs to stuff onto my MP3 player. Now I choose which 400 or so songs to stuff onto my iPod Nano. Only real downside I've come across is the short battery life. After 3 or 4 days of listening to it on my way home from work and for a little bit on breaks at work sometimes it needs a charge.
Cowon iAudio X5 for the win.
I'm using an iRiver H320 atm. I originally bought it to assist with rockbox, after loving it on my Archos Jukebox 6000 - never quite got around to it though

imho, there are plenty of better players out there, with better support, fewer restrictions, more features, and with a more realistic price.
#6 - Tooby
Never got one. To me they seem too much like an over-glorified, over-expensive portable harddisk.
have one love it its 40 gb one
Have had one for almost two years now and love it. I used to carry two huge cd cases in my car to handle all of my cds. Now with the iPod I have put 900+ songs on it. I can hook it up directly to my car's cd player via male-male audio jack and aux input on my headunit. And I can hook it up to my computer to play through iTunes, which I do daily while I sit and do my college work.

I don't know which generation mine is. I never paid attention to that. It has the click wheel thing though and no color screen. Also 40gig's of space with not even 4gig's taken up with 900+ songs. PLENTY of room.

I have gotten a few scares out of it though. A few months ago it kept skipping real bad. Sometimes it would just stop playing altogether. I thought maybe the battery was just going dead completely. Turned out I just put a corrupted mp3 on it though. So once I cleared that out it was back to smooth sailing.

Downfalls of an iPod? Well for me, the included headphones are junk and hurt my ears. I tossed them away almost instantly. Also the screen can get scratched really easily. My way around this is to find some super clear tape about 2 inches wide to cover the entire screen. It looks a little tacky where the edges of the tape are coming up, but it saves the screen.

You've probably heard stories about the batteries not lasting. I dunno about anyone else but mine is still going, and still rechargeable after nearly 2 years. And when it does die I'm just going to follow this http://www.ipodbattery.com/slimipodinstall.htm to do my own replacement instead of the expensive shipping back to Apple for a replacement iPod method.
I don't have an iPod because... it's an iPod. I don't really listen a lot to music, so I wouldn't buy anything like it anyways. But my gf likes these things a lot, so I bought her a mp3 player. It also has a big colour screen and can playback video and view pictures, but it was way cheaper. So I think you should go look at some other brands.

And btw, about those iPod Nano's, I heard they can break quite easily..
In case I listen to music, it's on my cell
if you can get LFS on a nano then i'll buy one, but i won't be able to see crap due to the size. People will think i'm a wrecker.

I promised myself not to get one, i hate them. Everyone at school has one, and that (motorola?) Razor phone. If it's "in" then 50% of my grade will buy it, then it's "out". Then the poor kids wait until they can afford the "in" stuff and they waste there money on it and it's "out".

I call this The Cycle of Stuff.
It's like those sliding cells over here, from samsung, now more brands of this kind of model, so not it looks like everyone has it, while they have some crappy version, but you can't see it because they constantly keep it against their ears
I wish I had the option for No, I don't have one, nor do I like iPod. There are better players out there. Most are cheaper too.

I am sort of the person that doesn't want a product just because everyone has one and it is 'cool'. I prefer useful features over hype. Secondly, I don't even bother with huge storage on an MP3 player, it is useless because I am the kind of person that only listens to music from a player in the car, exercising, or working. That is usually never for long periods of time, and I would much rather have about 15 albums MAX on my player and listen to them all, then find some new or unheard music to replace those albums. I don't like having a big overused library on tap, that is what radio is for. If I had my player used as storage and just listened to a lot of older music I've already overplayed, I don't like that. I like finding new music, unknown bands, etc...

Atm all I have is a 1GB player that is about as big as a cheap cigarette lighter, and it runs on one AAA battery, and is a USB flash drive that I can plug into anyone's computer and transfer files. Having this is way more useful than carrying around something larger and needing the equipment to transfer stuff. I always have it with me incase some people want my music, or if friends of mine have music I'd like to have. And my car stereo has a USB flash drive input, and I just plug it in there to listen to music on the fly. That's all I need, and it is easy and painless. My friends who have iPods really like what I've got, and they just sit there using their iPod with all the dumb addons and accessories you "have" to buy for your iPod.

I am not into the whole iPod craze because of some of these reasons. I need something small and less of a hassle, because afterall, it is just music.
#14 - Jakg
I have a 20 Gb Creative Zen Leek which I love, that plus some Sehnheisser PX-100's came to £140, which was MUCH cheaper then an iStatussymbol.

And btw, I have a Rokr, it sucks, and is no match for a proper MP3 player (btw, I have the E398, same phone, the Rokr just took the E398 (which was an old phone even then) and put iTunes on it and a slightly higher coloured screen, but the latter isn't obvious and an OS reflash gets you an "E398@Rokr", aka iTunes on your E398, as well as all the other features, or "The ultra-rare Black Rokr". All for free!)
Well I'm likely to get shot for saying this but I'd like to buy a full sized black and white (original) iPod, IMO they were much more stylish and practical (battery life) than the colour ones. I don't have any kind of MP3 player atm (that works) and tbh I dobut I'd use one, my laptop tends to do the job because I don't listen to music on the move.
If you know you aren't going to use it much, don't buy it. Wait untill you need a new cell like me, and buy one with mp3 support. I only use it now when I'm in a train or somewhere really boring and I got nothing else. And you always have your cell on you, I don't think you carry your mp3 player everywhere you go if you're not sure you'll use it.

Yup, I'm all against mp3 players
iriver H140 ftw, old...but great battery life + sound quality + features (mp3,wav,wma,ogg etc playback (although I use rockbox firmware, which wont play wma), recording via internal or external mic, radio, to mention some)
i have a 30 gig ipod video and i love it; i dont really use it that often (or atleast i haven't compared to as much as i did when i got it midway through summer) but right now its what i listen to on my way to school every morning (using an itrip)

but ya, i love it, the only thing that i'd change about it right now, is hoping apple would have had a more protective paint layer on the back of it because it gets scratched up sooo easily no matter how little you use it, scratches will just start appearing from nowhere
Quote from the_angry_angel :I'm using an iRiver H320 atm. I originally bought it to assist with rockbox, after loving it on my Archos Jukebox 6000 - never quite got around to it though

imho, there are plenty of better players out there, with better support, fewer restrictions, more features, and with a more realistic price.

I'm an iriver man myself, with a H320. Was probably the highest specced player on the market when I bought it, but its just a little too bulky which is why I'm getting a flash player. Was thinking ipod nano but the specs are so poor, so I'm seriously considering the new Mcody M22.
I have a 2gig Nano (not sure if its the first or second release) its a year old, been droped countless times, also wiped a couple of times (tried to get linux on it )

After all the torture its still working, screen is fine, plays everything fine and nothings ever gone wrong.
My first player was an iRiver which broke when I downloaded new firmware for it from the iRiver site. Tech support never got back to me so the next year I hinted at an iPod shuffle for my birthday Mission accomplished! It's invaluable - I take it to work, walking the dog at the beach etc. and use it to write vocal parts for my band as well as get lost in Mars Volta land at work. It's also as big as a Bic lighter so is very unobtrusive when I'm riding my bike around, makes a handy flash drive for my wife's uni studies and we use it with the car stereo on road trips (I hated lugging books of CDs around on holiday).
However, I'd like something big enough to fit everything onto. A Nano or something with 4+GB would have enough space. Time to start hinting for Christmas I guess
I HATE those in-ear headphones. At school my buddies with ipods always try to show me a song, but I look at two ear-waxy gross "ear buds", no way!
Yeah but the sound is surprisingly good from those things. They do look and feel like crap, though.
Heck, I don't even have a cell phone. I can see wanting an ipod or mp3 player, but it's just ridiculous how many people have cell phones. Talkin in the car, talkin in the mall, talkin in the restaurant, talkin everywhere. Is it all that important to talk to someone on the freakin phone?

I like to stand real close to people gabbing on the cellphone. I act like I'm listening in on their conversation. I guess if I had an iPod, I'd get small regular speakers instead of headphones and stand next to cell phone talkers blaring my Metallica .

iPods and mp3 players are a bit ridiculously over priced. It's a glorified walkman for crying out loud!
Quote from Electrik Kar :Yeah but the sound is surprisingly good from those things. They do look and feel like crap, though.

IMO they only sound good because the things are directly in the ear canal, blocking out most other sounds so all you get is the music. The kind that are kind of like this http://mobilitytoday.com/vbmcms/images/bt-headphones.JPG allow a bit of outside noise so the music is drowned out a little bit more. The in-ear ones, for this reason, also are said to cause more damage to your hearing.

All that plus uncomfortable having a piece of plastic stretching your ear canal.....I like the other ones like that jpg image above.
Earbuds: yes, they suck (the standard issue iPod ones anyway). They're uncomfortable, they don't fit equally well in both of my ears, they have sod all bass response and it's bloody annoying to be forced to listen to someone else's playlist on a crowded train due to the sound bleed factor. It seems the people with the absolute worst taste in music always seem to play it the loudest too Plus I hate the white cords and the little fuzzy things which never stay on.
That's why I use big, bottom-heavy Sennheiser 'phones with my pod - they also help to shield my wife from engine noise when I race online (and shield me from requests to do stuff ).

As for mp3 players being glorified walkmans...well, what were walkmans - glorified transistor radios? Are mobile phones overpriced carrier pigeons? Is a PC just a typewriter glued to a TV? Come on, grampa Never saw a 90min magnetic tape that could hold 20,000 songs either

iPod?
(36 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG