The online racing simulator
Mobo dead or just tired?
(4 posts, started )
Mobo dead or just tired?
Got a weird problem with my mobo...
earlier on today, the monitor died...so I plugged in another monitor....zilch.
Ripped out prime suspect #1 (GFX card) and tried it in another box...perfick!
Shoved in a different (agp) gfx card into main box... zilch..
Tried an old Hercules Prophet PCI card I had kicking around...it works....

BUT!

The fan on the card isnt working, and with the exception of the CPU fan, all the supplemental fans on the mobo aren't working either!
So...stuck in a spare (brand new!) PSU that I had under the bench, but no difference.

Checked the voltages on the BIOS screen and they 'seem' OK...

Million Dollar question...could it be something simple, or is my MOBO deceased?

(Also, LFS wont run on a prehistoric Herky Gfx card, and I have already started going cold turkey!)
#2 - Vain
How is the exact booting behaviour with a AGP card?
When and how exactly did the system stop working properly?
If you plug in a GFX card and boot the system, does the PSU switch itself off (with it's own protection fuse, which would stop it from attempting another power on until you disconnect it from power).

First guess: Some capacitor on the motherboard died. Motherboard needs to be replaced.

Vain
Quote from Vain :How is the exact booting behaviour with a AGP card?

Computer 'seems' to boot OK, just does not initialize the monitor

Quote from Vain : When and how exactly did the system stop working properly?

Halfway through installing MS FlightSim X, monitor just went blank, and it was not the auto shutdown caused by screen saver settings.

Quote from Vain : If you plug in a GFX card and boot the system, does the PSU switch itself off

Nope

Quote from Vain : First guess: Some capacitor on the motherboard died. Motherboard needs to be replaced.

Thats what I feared!

Vain[/quote]
#4 - Vain
If the PC boots fine without any objections then the motherboard is actually under the impression that the GFX card is working properly. Does windows start? Check for the windows starting sound, or, if possible, ping the box from a different computer.
If you try to boot the PC without any GFX card it should beep a specific code to tell you that there's no GFX card (that is, if the case speaker is plugged in on the motherboard).
If the motherboard failed to deliver enough power to the GFX card it would fail to finish the power on check and would signal that with some beeping, or wouldn't boot at all and switch itself off.

* I'm just giving you some facts so you can narrow down what actually happens.

Vain

Mobo dead or just tired?
(4 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG