The online racing simulator
ITV: A new low
(20 posts, started )
I am not sure how many people are watching this, but current on ITV (british tv channel) there is a program on called Extinct.

http://extinct.wwf.org.uk/how_vote.htm

As you can see its not a simple fund raiser to help all animals close to extinction, its a talent contest. Vote for the animal you want to help...I think thats an utter disgrace. You can't play X Factor with animals.

The program does educate you on why the animals are going extinct, and ways you can help. I was watching it in interest and was thinking of donating, then they started all this voting rubbish. Voting costs 50p, only 35p goes to the chairty...the rest goes into ITVs back pocket according to the small print they showed on the program.

I understand you need money to run the program...but X factor was on before it and there is millions of votes every week on that and the cost to vote is higher.

What do you guys think? Am i over reacting or is it just morally wrong to do it this way?
#2 - DeKo
you could look at it from the angle that if the program wasnt being aired, nobody would phone in and give any money at all, but im still not sure if its right to vote for your favourite animal.
I'm not watching it. I'm watching the Snooker, I have to because of my website - Snooker24-7

But, I did see it while flicking though the channels, I was going to put it on, but then I thought "It's on ITV, so it must be shite"

Poor old ITV. Only slightly good thing to come out of ITV is F1, but that isnt what it used to be and how can you show F1 with adverts illepall Bernie...Give the BBC a bell.

Quote :you could look at it from the angle that if the program wasnt being aired, nobody would phone in and give any money at all, but im still not sure if its right to vote for your favourite animal.

I wonder how much is actually going to help the animals? How much do you think is going into the ITV to help pay off Michael Grade's £825,000 salary.
That what i object to, why can't they just do it like the BBC. You don't see 'vote for your favourite starving children' on Children in Need do you?
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :That what i object to, why can't they just do it like the BBC. You don't see 'vote for your favourite starving children' on Children in Need do you?

Precisely.

ITV are a bunch of morons that should be prosecuted under the Gambling act for that piece of junk called ITV play - unless they don't bid for the F1 rights next time (and the BBC gets them) AND bring back Men and Motors (well we are not going to get Motors TV are we) to freeview.
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :What do you guys think? Am i over reacting or is it just morally wrong to do it this way?

You're totally correct.

We had the TV on earlier, whilst I was dishing up tea, and I made a joke along the lines of whether the viewers voted for which species to save. I really wished it wasn't actually true
sick, really sick, voting to save your favourite species, very low way to make money. ITV is crap for several reason (my personal opinion), Adverts, i know many people might say adverts pay for TV, and maybe true i don't really care, all i care about is watching the darn programme, it gets good and boom, bloody ads, and secondly the programmes they play, corrie is ok, dont watch it often but think its shite, and emmerdale is totally boring, and i rarely watch ITV news, as its not on long enough, and theres ads in the news, who the hell wants ads in the news... BBC much better as you get the whole programme (let alone better programmes like Torchwood - Go Captain Jack and the odd brilliant drama or movie they show) I spent alot more time watching BBC programmes than ITV... as it's an overall better channel... ITV bugger off the TV and stick more BBC channels on
More BBC channels? Theres already about 2 million of them.
There ain't no "BBC Bob" yet. So still room for improvement.
Quote from Bob Smith :There ain't no "BBC Bob" yet. So still room for improvement.

Yeah there is, Bob the Builder
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :More BBC channels? Theres already about 2 million of them.

There are eight of them. BBC1 through to 4, News 24 (the only decent rolling news channel should anyone want one, it isn't run by BNP editors as anything to do with Sky is), Parliament and the two kiddywinko ones. OK then. 7 and a half because in half the country the channel that gets %0 ratings (it actually due to rounding is 0.00) is in quarter screen over half the UK or so (it's full screen in the London area - I don't live in London but for all TV intents and purposes we get London TV).

All of them other the two waste of licence fee payer's money and bandwidth kiddywinko channels are needed IMO. I TBH basically only watch BBC stuff and record some stuff on C4 and 5 in the middle of the night (when I can actually get C5 - I've lost all channels on multiplex A for some reason - I am on the best of both worlds - decent TV without funding that bastard Murdoch). OK, and occasionally something on Sky repeats, sorry, three (which you can get on free to air television in the UK).

Scrap the mandatory children's programs - then the BBC will be able to afford the F1 rights more
It gets worse from their Extinct shop only 15% goes to charity and when you vote apparantley you are offered a wallpaper for £3, 50p of which goes to charity. I feel this is such a disgraceful piss take of a fund raising effort that I will write to ITV.
Hold on a minute...

Weren't ITV given some kind of penalty for having too many reality shows just a few months ago? Yet we have this atrocity now, and I got invited to share my "funny work stories" for an upcoming ITV show via the post.

Maybe I should phone up the contact name I was given and tell them exactly what they can do with their reality bollocks.
Quote :...Am i over reacting or is it just morally wrong to do it this way?

Well if it helps raise money which otherwise would not be available, and some that money goes towards helping endangered species, then it has to be a good thing. If the program didn't happen then would everyone feel morally better as the money that otherwise would have been raised was not now available?
If it's a call between 2 ways of raising money, one totally ethical, one a bit more of a grey area, then it becomes an interesting moral decision. If it's a call between a slightly unethical way of raising money, or not raising any money at all, then it clearly is a very different issue.
However you raise money for charitable causes, some of the money goes into oiling the wheels of the machine, it's just that some machines require a lot more expensive oil than others.
Here's more ITV reality crap from an email I got a couple of days ago:

Quote from ITV :ITV is looking for people who have worked in the Sales Industry to share their stories.

Quote from ITV :ITV are looking for people to tell us their story, who lost money due the collapse of Farepak.

Quote from ITV :We have no good ideas for shows so are relying on the public to provide anything that means we get to continue showing adverts to fill our director's pockets. We suck. Go watch the BBC or SkyOne. We have nothing.

My wallet is an endangered species...can we vote for that?

I agree, ITV started going downhill when they stopped screening Fireball XL5, and ANY reality show is a load of dingoes kidneys.
Maybe a "Animals in Need" night would be a better way of raising funds, but knowing the average British public, it would probably raise more cash than "Children in Need", in which case the producers would look rather silly!
Didn't that guy who was going to kill his imaginary pet rabbit get more funds than Children In Need?
Quote from Bob Smith :Didn't that guy who was going to kill his imaginary pet rabbit get more funds than Children In Need?

Cant say I remember that story, but its given me an idea!

Send me loads of cash or the rabbit gets it!

Attached images
DSC_6117.JPG
Yep, that's basically what it was, some guy made a web page claiming to be poor and that he didn't have enough money to feed his rabbit, so he'd have to put it down unless he got some donations to keep it fed. Photo of random rabbit follows. Guy gets thousands, probably bought himself a new car, hell maybe even a rabbit too.
At least thats not a Random Rabbit......(it's not even Rampant! )

It belongs to EmmyLou, and if I even went NEAR it with a cleaver, she would prolly poison my coffee!

(btw...piccy was taken by _Rob_ when the guys hit my place for the LFS Kart weekend )

(20 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG