The online racing simulator
IOP Lecture - The Physics of Computer Games

NATIONAL SCIENCE WEEK LECTURE

Friday 16th March 2007 2.00pm-3.00pm (doors open 1.30pm)

Rupert Beckett Lecture Theatre, University of Leeds

The Physics of Computer Games

Dr Jon Purdy, Games Subject Leader,

Department of Computer Science, University of Hull

Physics and simulation have always played an important role in the development of realistic computer games. Whether it is making an explosion look realistic, tracking the way a racing car skids round a corner, or calculating the motion of snooker balls, some interesting physics principles are being implemented in computer games. This talk will use game examples to show where the physics is used, and will explain some of the problems that people who make computer games have to overcome.

Although this lecture demonstration has been designed especially to suit 14-18 year olds and schools and colleges have been invited, adults are also welcome. Admission free, but by ticket only. Apply with a stamped &addressed envelope to the address below.

Closing date 11th March, but do apply early as seats are limited.

Chris A Butlin CPhys FInstP
Institute of Physics Yorkshire Branch Honorary Secretary
16 Wheelwright Close
Sutton upon Derwent
York
YO41 4JZ
United Kingdom
Tel: +44(0)1904 607169
E-mail: [email protected]
Interesting. Shame I live nowhere near Leeds (practically down south, that ).
does sound interesting, wonder if it might be recorded and made avail to download some how.

oh well, tell us how it goes
#4 - JTbo
Someone go there and tape it, then put it up to youtube, please

Would be rather long way to go from here...
Do they do science North of Cambridge? Sometimes I even wonder if they do sceince in Cambridge and all we do in Oxford is ooo and ahhh at the pretty foriegn students.
Quote from DratsaB :does sound interesting, wonder if it might be recorded and made avail to download some how.
oh well, tell us how it goes

I don’t think this one will be broadcasted, because it’s a Lecture. Sometimes there are iwebminars and other stuff available online, the broadcast area is worth a look.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG