The online racing simulator
AA/AF No effect on FPS? :o
(7 posts, started )
well, i recently switched from a radeon 9600 pro to a geforce 7600GS (mainly cuz i couldnt get the radeon card installed under linux).
they are both about the same, both got 256 mb, 400 mhz the geforce though does support pixel shader 3.0 but the radeon only 2.0.
but anyway, im getting lower fps with the geforce, about 5-10 fps less (i thought ill gain a bit, but oh well).
but....when i turn on AA/AF 4x / 8x i dont lose ANY fps? erm...
on 8x / 16x i lose 1 (omg) fps
with my radeon card i always lost bout 25-40 fps (!!) and now that?
is that some supersecret special of nvidia? lol.
any1 knows whats the reason for that, or did have same experience?
i mean, i dont mind beeing able to play with AA/AF all the time but imo its a bit wierd.
oh yea, using the drivers that came with the card, would i get with newer drivers more fps?
are the "special" drivers out that give u some nice fps boost?
thanks for answers if there are any to come
#2 - Davo
The 7600GS is much more powerful then the 9600, I'm puzzled by your loss of fps normally. It's a newer generation so you can't really compare processing speed with any graphics cards, they're funny like that with their pipes and 256bit buses etc.

Your cpu is holding you back now, that's why you don't notice any fps drop. The card can easily handle the extra AA and AF since it's not the one maxxed out. I always use the latest drivers because they fix some problems usually, unless they bring problems then I use older drivers. Can't hurt to try the newer drivers and see how it goes.
hmm, im on a AMD athlon xp 2600+ what is enough atm, also i wouldnt have any money to spend something in that direction.
maybe ill get some newer drivers for the card ill think bout it
had also fps loss in other game (enemy territory) what doesnt really need much cpu. so i guess the drivers arent that "powerfull".
#4 - Davo
Sure for normal use the 2600+ is enough but with LFS using a lot of cpu it's the one limiting frame rates, my dual core 3800+ is even holding me back in lfs with a full grid. Try some newer drivers you never know, if they're worse you can always revert. But the main thing is now atleast you can run AA/AF on LFS, I think it looks shocking without them and am so glad I can use them
Quote from Davo :Sure for normal use the 2600+ is enough but with LFS using a lot of cpu it's the one limiting frame rates, my dual core 3800+ is even holding me back in lfs with a full grid. Try some newer drivers you never know, if they're worse you can always revert. But the main thing is now atleast you can run AA/AF on LFS, I think it looks shocking without them and am so glad I can use them

well, not that bad as i was running without AA/AF all the time with my radeon.
but of course its a lot nicer with it on, wont turn it off anymore
my frames actually arent bad (35 fps with a full AI grid, 90-100 alone) but yea, u always want more so do i.
also, just as u said as its newer i "should" get more fps, thats what i thought when i was getting this card , was surprised that it was actually lower.
/me downloading new drivers..
*edit* eww, ATI was lil bit easier when getting drivers, which ones i need?
#6 - Davo
I went from a ti4200 to a 7600GT, and even though max frame rates have multiplied by quite some margin, minimum fps is often the same, and sometimes I'm sure is actually LOWER.

(7 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG