The online racing simulator
The LFS Marshal Commity (LFSMC)
(34 posts, started )

Poll : Should there be a LFS Marshal Commity?

Yes
No
+1

however i think it should be a layer above. so leagues actually use their own marshals and rulesets. whenever a driver thinks, the decisions of the leagues marshal was wrong, he can call the LFSMC for help, which will be something like high court which can overrule the leagues marshal.

as an league admin. i think getting help in stewarding races is always a +1

as it is now, lfscar will
- review all incidents which led to a Caution-Phase and the actions under caution
- review all incidents which were brought in post-race by a driver via the Report-thread
Yup i agree fully.

the Wiki was a brilliant Idea, and yeah. A layer above the leagues, which can offer marshalls on request, not insist on them
i've opened the wiki up to allow viewing, just to show some examples i've put in. remember, this is all just proof of concept.

http://lfsmc.no-ip.info
I'd be in for helping this out...I tend to act as a marshal on demo servers I go to (many people who have been around when I've been working have appreciated me helping out...usually just keeping the racing clean and fair)
. But I seem to expect that this idea is geared towards S2 more--which I'm not complaining about...and I haven't yet been able to scrounge up the 60 bucks for it. After about 5 minutes of the demo, I've been wanting to buy it, but have had more important things("important" being relative - not that LFS S2 isn't important ) on my life agenda (vis college). But I digress.

I would think that a Marshal Community would help to standardize some things that other series might vary on, and perhaps give more consistency to marshaling.

But I give the idea a big fat
Very interesting that I found this thread, as I've been floating this idea in my mind lately.

While I do not see it as a service for pickup races, I imagine a group of knowledgable LFS members who would be willing to help out in Leagues and Events they are not personally involved in.

Managers/organizers could submit requests for an event or league in which the registered (?) members could volunteer if they had no prior involvement/commitments.

The Manager/Organizer would spell out what their league rules are, be it No Contact, Avoidable Contact, Malicious Intent, etc. and the corresponding pentalties that could be assesed.

Volunteers would have to show a combination of Common Sense, Maturity, LFS experience, and Real Life Racing knowledge. From this a database could be created. That way, Organizers could make a public post, or make private inquiries via PM.

I'd love to see a forum in the events/leagues section where this could take place.

+1 for LFSMC
There is a second aspect that must be considered before it becomes workable, which is what I was working toward when I was trying to set up the SRA - which incidentally i'd still love to see happen in some form but I just dont have time to dedicate to setting it up and gathering support for it etc.

The question one needs to ask, is who marshalls the marshalls. There are a lot of 'vested interests' in LFS, a lot of personal relationships etc. For any higher authority to work it has to be above reproach.

I was hoping to resolve that along with solving another big bug bear, league marshalling standards, by applying an education, examination and of course high technology approach to the problem.

Right now I just dont have time, but I think before anyone goes ahead with this is to make sure you have enough transparency in the higher marshalling process for the system to stand a test of integrity.
Good point Becky. Hopefully the members chosen as part of the LFSMC show clear unbiased judgement, but issues would presumably arise. Unfortunately this is seen in real life as well though, where Marshalls of a country's GP have penalized teams from other countries unjustly.

The point of a database would be to provide people who are remote and disconnected from the series/event they are marshalling (i.e. I would never be marshalling an event where my LOTF teamates were participating). Any discrepancy or proclamations of unjust marshalling should be given discreetly to a higher up, where perhaps 3-5 of the 'Sr. Marshalls' could evaluate the marshalling performance.

As for me, I hold allegiances to only myself, and i mostly dislike the lot of you all. (j/k )
All this sounds like good ideas. At some point (before christmas) the SGPA is planning on writing an equivilent of the Blue Book. Any league will be able to use it if they want and we hope it will cover all forms of sim racing - be it ovals, rallycross, drag etc. as well as circuit racing. We've got the SGPS to run ATM so that's the priority.

[BEGGING]We've got a paper copy, but if anyone has a copy of the MSA Blue Book as a PDF, i'd love it. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please.[/BEGGING]
+1

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG