Who has a BFG 8800 GTS OC 640MB?
(14 posts, started )
LFS is not GPU demanding. It is CPU demanding mostly.

So going on this powerful card just for LFS is not worth it.

You can have 1280x1024 with all options to full + 8AA + 16AF with a GeForce 6800GT class card and above and running at 80 fps average.

As a matter of fact the biggest difference in LFS graphics is produced by the AA+AF filtering.
http://teop.org/media/lfs_880.jpg

I haven't downloaded any high-res texture sets, or subscribed to the high-res skin download yet (I imagine the extra texture memory would make more of a difference there). With 30 cars on the grid it doesn't drop below 60fps, that's 1680x1050, I think 8xAF, 8xAA ("Quality" -whatever that means). Once the race is in progress I get steady 90fps, but my monitor can't refresh that fast anyway.

My box also has a C2D 6600 and 2Gb of RAM in it. As the previous poster said, I think the CPU is probably doing most of the work.
If you'll excuse the tacky lens-flare and photoshopped sky, you could be running LFS like this

with no problems whatsoever, with plenty of room to spare. KMSpeed's right, you don't really need a beefy GPU for LFS currently, but if you're planning on playing other games it may certainly come in handy. Just an increase in frames will do you a lot of good though, if you can stay above 60fps you'll have very fluid graphics. I'm sure the card you're considering won't even break into a sweat trying to push that rate of frames.
i have a gf 7950 gt ko superclocked(factory) 512 mb gddr3,and i say its fairly enough for everything,exept if u want to play dx 10 games with that,and that yet needs vista,wich needs an atom reactor wich is a lot of money u can get this card about 250 $ now (i prefer newegg.com) of course u can buy some ati.. i always had nvidia and its Go(o)d
Quote from TAYLOR-MANIA :So, i am looking for a major upgrade for my system.
I am currently running an ATi X600 ("LOL" i know, very old & slow) which runs LFS and other games okay, but it really is time for some new components.
I want the BFG 8800 GTS OC 640MB...does anyone own this card or maybe the 320MB version?
If so, is there any chance you could post a screenshot of LFS in-game?
That way, i can see just how much better LFS can look when compared to what i have now.
Also, should i wait for ATi's DX10 cards to see how performance/price compare?
Replies appreciated.

Hi,
LFS is extremly CPU limited.I have 7900GT and it can run LFS at 1280*1024,8xAA,16AF,max LFS details,custom highres textures the follwing way:

150-350FPS in hotlaping mode
30-180FPS in multiplayer.Those 30 FPS if I am last on the grid of 32 pole.

I can even play with 16xAA with really very small FPS hit.

The above FPS doesnt change at all whenever I change the resolution even to 640*480 with the settings above.It raise only if I overclock my CPU.When I overclock my GPU by 100Mhz no change with FPS again.
#6 - Jakg
erm, your CPU WILL hold you back - if you just want it for LFS you can pick up a nice ATi 1950, a new CPU and a G25
#7 - Jakg
With an 8800? it will run, but i would SERIOUSLY consider a new CPU and an 8600GTS.

Just for you, heres a piccie of what LFS can look like with lots of AA and some custom textures. The 8800 (and a 7950GT, cause thats what i took it on!) can do this image quality all day with great fps!
Attached images
STCC.jpg
i have a BFG 8800 GTS OC2 and its awesome i have screen shots with FPS on this link here http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=23567&page=2

but listen to jakg about the cpu holding you back, i had the same 8800 card with my old system running a 950D intel 3.4 ghz processor and it made no difference at all ran the same speeds compared to the 7900gs 512mb card i had before
#9 - Jakg
look - with my CPU (think of it as a 5 GHz P4) even at 8xAA (the max i can use at this resolution) my CPU holds me back in a full grid, and this is with a 7950GT - the 8800 is double the speed of that, you REALLY need a new CPU.

Perhaps your board supports Core 2 Duo? and E4300 can be had for about £90 and that thing gives ROCKING performance
#10 - Jakg
Erm, it should be about twice as fast, that good enough?
spend a little more and get a 6600
TAYLOR-MANIA,

there will be new price drop on Intel and AMD processors again.This year the CPU drop was really huge and I never saw such a before in my long history.

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=25689

I would buy then C2D E6550,new motherboard and new memory but I guess you have already DDR-533.Also be aware if you have now something like 400W powersupply this is not enough for 8800 cards.You might have problems with stability and performance lost.

Why I am suggesting it?
As I mentioned LFS is heavily CPU limited game and to play it with full details and like 4XAA+16AF at 1280*1024 is enough even 6600GT which is nowdays kidna slow graphic card.Of course 8800GTS against X600 is huge difference and your FPS would go definately higher and you could use like 8-16xAA+16AF but you would have still perfomance(FPS) like me with 7900GT(6600GT).

If you are buying 8800GTs you need to pair it with good CPU so it will run up to its potential and not to holding it back.I know you will be not only playing LFS but everybody who know someting about PC would tell you the same.You must always build the system balanced otherwise it doesnt make much sense.Its like putting V8 into a Trabant...I hope yopu know what I mean

Just my few cents on this topic.
You dont need to change the CPU but it would make sense...

P.S: here is the link how your CPU stand now.dont be depressed
http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html
Quote from TAYLOR-MANIA :
I will surely upgrade the CPU then. As Devil 007 suggested, it will probably be the C2D E6550. What do you say?

I think for the money it will be really good option.
Quote :
Now due to getting a new CPU, i will probably have to go with the 8800 GTS 320MB. Will this card and the E6550 work well together? You think it could run DX9 games with maximum settings without too many hiccups?

It will all DX9 games with full details but it depend for what resolution you aiming.If its for 1600*1200 then it might have a "slight" problem due to low memory size.If its over 1600*1200 you need definately 8800GTS 640MB.
Quote :
Also, Devil 007, you mentioned the power supply...
Now i know I'm gonna be requiring a better one, and i am considering BFG's 650W. Will 650W suffice?

I would look for some better brand then BFG (Seasonic,enermax,tagan) but still the BFG is much better choise then the noname or very exotic brands which build PSU from crap components.

650W is more than enough!Well you would not stress the PSU a lot because it would not run at max power usuage so it mean that the PSU fän will run also slower which produce less noise.

Who has a BFG 8800 GTS OC 640MB?
(14 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG