Would you say that's a good "sacrifice"?
Hi,

My graphic card is a Nvidia GeForce FX 5700 (Pretty old) but working well. I recently got bored of playing in low res, I was using this:

1024x768, All-stock lfs, AA+AF = 2, for an average of 90 fps

Now, I played with some settings and I'm using:

AA+AF+ Whatever option to the max, 1280x1024 = 70 fps average

Would you say that fps loss (20 fps) worths it?

I'll show you 2 pics, one with the older setup and one with the new one, say me if it worths it.

Before
After
#2 - Jakg
...what monitor do you have?

IMO it's gotta be max graphics option though
20fps for nicer graphics isnt a good deal, but your FPS is 70 so, it doesnt make much of a difference.

Keep good graphics
Do you actually see any difference between 70 and 90 FPS with your own eyes when driving?
Quote from zeugnimod :Do you actually see any difference between 70 and 90 FPS with your own eyes when driving?

Nope
#6 - CSU1
Quote from zeugnimod :Do you actually see any difference between 70 and 90 FPS with your own eyes when driving?

good point(discussed before iirc.)...is LFS not more cpu dependent anyway ...I'd choose smooth frames over bling bling any day....pfff i rarely see 50 anyway
#7 - robt
Riders motion what CPU do you have? as i have the same graphics card and get about 20FPs at the start of the large grids with no AA and AF and about 50-60 on average normally.
My CPU is AMD Athlon XP (Well that's what it says on the box

Nope no one can feel it because human eyes can only see the difference At or lower than 60 FPS hope that helped
Quote from Riders Motion :
Before
After

I'd say go back to the way it was. You lost the view of the 2nd car with your after picture!

As long as you don't drop below 30 FPS, you are good. Anything below 30 and everything gets choppy and the controller lags. 30 or more and it's fine. You have to experiment though to find the areas that have the lowest framerate drop, such as Aston National final chicane. That one is a killer for my machine. I use to average about 40 with detail set quite high even though I only have an onboard gfx chip, but there are just certain areas that drop too much to drive through. Blackwood is another frame killer for me.
#11 - Jakg
Quote from anik360 :Nope no one can feel it because human eyes can only see the difference At or lower than 60 FPS hope that helped

Erm, no, just no.

This is a big myth and i don't know where the hell this came from, the eye can see the change in up to 13 thousand FPS, however most TFT's run at 60 Hz, which means they can only show 60 FPS as it is, but the eye can tell the difference way past that.
#12 - robt
Quote from Riders Motion :My CPU is AMD Athlon XP (Well that's what it says on the box

theres lots of althon XP processors, mine is the 2400. and it seems yours is a lot better then mine
Quote from Jakg :Erm, no, just no.

This is a big myth and i don't know where the hell this came from, the eye can see the change in up to 13 thousand FPS, however most TFT's run at 60 Hz, which means they can only show 60 FPS as it is, but the eye can tell the difference way past that.

Pah...your bionic eyes maybe, but once you get over 60fps i cant see the slightest difference whatsoever. Silky smooth is silky smooth. At 60fps everything is silky smooth, i can't see it getting any smoother.

I'm not saying your wrong btw I've just never played an First person shooter for instance at 300fps and gone "wow, that's just so much smoother than 60fps"

Scientifically it may be true, but practically it makes no difference to my rapidly ageing eyeballs, which is why I limit all my games to 60fps if possible. (not on a 60Hz tft either before you ask)

Ohh and to the OP....just rack up the eye candy to a point where you always have over 30fps in any situation and your good to go
#14 - Jakg
Quote from The Moose :Pah...your bionic eyes maybe, but once you get over 60fps i cant see the slightest difference whatsoever. Silky smooth is silky smooth. At 60fps everything is silky smooth, i can't see it getting any smoother.

I'm not saying your wrong btw I've just never played an First person shooter for instance at 300fps and gone "wow, that's just so much smoother than 60fps"

Scientifically it may be true, but practically it makes no difference to my rapidly ageing eyeballs, which is why I limit all my games to 60fps if possible. (not on a 60Hz tft either before you ask)

Ohh and to the OP....just rack up the eye candy to a point where you always have over 30fps in any situation and your good to go

Scientifically while the eye can tell the difference, over 150 fps it becomes really pointless.

Of course, most TFT screens run at 60 Hz, which means the max they can output is 60 FPS - now although your graphics card could be pumping out 200 FPS, only 60 make it to the screen which is why it looks the same
use 4X AF. I've got the same card with a 3.0ghz Pentium - I get about 60-80 FPS on small grids, around 20 on full grids.
#16 - Dru
Quote from Jakg :Scientifically while the eye can tell the difference, over 150 fps it becomes really pointless.

Of course, most TFT screens run at 60 Hz, which means the max they can output is 60 FPS - now although your graphics card could be pumping out 200 FPS, only 60 make it to the screen which is why it looks the same

This is why i see no differnece in races whether i be blasting down a straight on my own at 200fps or on a full grid with 80fps its all above 60fps (my refresh) which means i can't see the difference.
#17 - CSU1
Quote from msdn.com :Games are different. As you know, smooth movement in games requires the screen to be updated many times per second. The “flicker fusion threshold” at which static images begin to fuse is generally taken to be 1/16 of a second, although it actually varies depending on illumination (brighter lights like computer monitors require higher frame rates) and where on the retina the image falls (peripheral vision requires higher rates than foveal vision). Although movies are shown at 24 frames per second (FPS), 30 FPS is often considered the lowest-acceptable rate for video games, and most actiongame players tune their graphics for no less than 60 FPS.

Quote from anik360 :Nope no one can feel it because human eyes can only see the difference At or lower than 60 FPS hope that helped

Thats a load of poo. If you showed me LFS running at 60fps & @ 80 fps I could tell you which one which, easily.
#19 - wien
Quote from The Moose :Pah...your bionic eyes maybe, but once you get over 60fps i cant see the slightest difference whatsoever. Silky smooth is silky smooth

Park your car at the end of the Blackwood straight and look across the road as the other cars zoom past you at 200kph. (offline with AI of couse :P) If you can't see the chopping there you need to see an optician mate.
Eh, you may see the difference after 60 fps, but it won't get any better experience.
i almost think thats a bad question...

your totally fine with 50fps @ max gfx lol

just make sure u dont over heat or u will see problems

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG