The online racing simulator
lfs forum history (3y)
(63 posts, started )
lfs forum history (3y)
hello guys,
these 3 years of posts are part of lfs history.
will we get the lfs content that was hosted at rsc in an archive section here? would be nice.
would be cool not to depend on a 3rd party for that piece of history to be hosted and browsed. (much less that 3rd party imho).
is it possible vic? to import that data onto a archive section?
The forums LOOK very similar, so there is a good chance they use the same underlying system. Therefore I'd say the chances are quite high. Occasionally it's good (and necessary) to read 2/3 year old threads, so I agree, they are a must.
If not all the threads, it'd be nice to at least be able to import some of the more important threads. I'm not sure what the uppermost staff at RSC would say to this though.
Quote from tristancliffe :The forums LOOK very similar, so there is a good chance they use the same underlying system.

it uses what the majority of the bigger forums on the net use, vbulletin. same as rsc and same as almost any forum i visit
well importing posts isn't really possible, because of the completely different post-id's, user-id's, etc. Putting them into some form of read-only archive could be possible, but i wouldn't know any quick solution.
I'm sure rsc won't delete the whole lot though and maybe one day we can find a way to archive all the old stuff.
Nice avatar Victor
wtf kid not banned here already?
ahahaha bicth love ya you mah hull igan

hull, worst place to like in uk! well done rich!!!
Quote from Victor :Putting them into some form of read-only archive could be possible, but i wouldn't know any quick solution.
I'm sure rsc won't delete the whole lot though and maybe one day we can find a way to archive all the old stuff.

thats exactly what i had in mind. thats all thats required really. readonly archive (being included in searches) in great. hope u can make it in future.
Pity, there's some great historical LFS stuff at RSC.

Mind you theres a fair bit of junk as well.
If nothing else the technical help would be valuable.
Quote from Victor :well importing posts isn't really possible, because of the completely different post-id's, user-id's, etc. Putting them into some form of read-only archive could be possible, but i wouldn't know any quick solution.

well i think it's not that hard to import them.. (but i may be wrong, since i don't know how exactly database in vbulettin looks)
i once made a similar thing, when i had to import 2000 posts from phpbb forum to mercuryboard...

thread_id's and post_id's could be rewritten, and still kept in the same order..
but the user-id would have to be changed to anonymous in all posts... of course all avatars and signatures and stuff will be gone, but usernames belonging to posts should stay (there should be a field for user name in posts table, in case someone anonymous is posting)
Quote from KiDCoDEa :hull, worst place to like in uk! well done rich!!!

It's not that bad, honest. [/sarcasm]

Full of theifing little ****'s.
Nice to see you testing the swear-filter there Loon
Quote :
well importing posts isn't really possible, because of the completely different post-id's, user-id's, etc. Putting them into some form of read-only archive could be possible, but i wouldn't know any quick solution.

Download impExp from the vbulletin site??? Maybe this helps?
http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116398
Quote from tristancliffe :Nice to see you testing the swear-filter there Loon

I manually put the stars in there, chav isnt on the swear list.
yeah but integrating one forum into a whole other forum with already existing accounts is not done by that afaik. But I may be wrong as I haven't really looked at it. It's on my hd though, ready to be unzipped :P

but yes, for archiving it's possible - but again, not by default afaik, so if we want to have all the old posts as a viewable archive here, some forum modifications will still be necessary.
Quote from L(Oo)ney :I manually put the stars in there, chav isnt on the swear list.

Ohok. I thought you used a work beginning with S. Would have been equally applicable (and the same when censored)!
Quote :
yeah but integrating one forum into a whole other forum with already existing accounts is not done by that afaik.

That's precisely what it was created for afaik... You can even (if you want) associate imported user-ids with existing users on your forum. So a post made by someone called LFSnut on RSC can be associated with a user on this board, and it would look (and work) like a post actually made by the local user instead of the RSC user.
If the users here have the same email address associated with their accounts as they have on RSC (have them check) then the association process is automatic.

Now, there was one thing that had me going for days... You'll need to import all the data in 1(!!) single go... If you rerun the importer it will delete all entities that have a set importid... Maybe there's a workaround for that, but I don't know. It's just annoying to see all the posts from one forum disappear when you import a second forum, including some users... *make backups*
Quote from TagForce :So a post made by someone called LFSnut on RSC

So, i'll get those 22 posts added onto this account aswell? LOL :stir:

Im not bothered about my post count, means nothing. Infact it should be removed.
Quote :
So, i'll get those 22 posts added onto this account aswell? LOL

No... Unless you have the same email here as on RSC... Don't think Victor wants to manually set the 2000 users to their counterparts here.

Brings up an interesting point... Are bans imported along with the user info?
Hey! Nice Forum! Alright! Do I still have my RSC Avatar?

*EDIT* Nope, importing...
KiDCoDEa, finally you are unbanned on the new forum! Congratulations!

Eh, the join dates are now Aug 2005. I was so proud to have "Jan 2003"...
Quote from detail :Eh, the join dates are now Aug 2005. I was so proud to have "Jan 2003"...

Bah, having a join date on the first day of this new forum could be cool one day. Give it five years. Still, though, I agree. It doesn't say much about how long one's been around LFS (although the join date on RSC wasn't for LFS specifically, anyway).
Quote from tristancliffe :Nice avatar Victor

That is the background of my laptop :icon23:

lfs forum history (3y)
(63 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG