is it the video card or the motherboard?
my motherboard only supports PCIE x8.

I currently have the ATI radeon X600 128MB PCIE but i only get about 35 - 50 fps, depending on the view and how many other cars.

I have a 22" LCD with a native resolution of 1680 x 1050.

here is my other hardware set up
GeForce6100SM-M motherboard socket AM2 with an onboard Video but i dont use it, i use the X600.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ ... aspx?Item=N82E16813135039

Sempron 3400+, socket AM2.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ ... 05&Tpk=sempron%2b3400

2GB DDR2 667.

my motherboard says it supports only 8x im looking to upgrade but i dont know what to upgrade.

should i spend my money on a better processor? motherboard? video card? DDR 800 memory?

what do you guys think?
#2 - Jakg
A better CPU would probably help in LFS, but the x8 PCI-e limitation isn't really a problem (it takes an 8800GTS to start to show the limt etc).

How much do you have to spend on an upgrade?
As Jack noted, its probably a combo of both. You're going to see some slowdowns thanks to x700, especially if your running much AA/AF at that resolution.

Your CPU is easily upgradable for pretty low costs, so it's not too worriesome in either case.
Quote from Jakg :How much do you have to spend on an upgrade?

im thinking about spending around $300 USD, maybe getting the Athlon 64 X2 6000+ and changing either the motherboard or the video card, but i dont know if changing the video card would make that much of difference because of the 8x.

what would be a decent videocard that would not need more than 8x ?

im just trying to get a decent system that would run better at high resolutions
I'd reccomend a X2 5600 and a X1950pro for ~$300. Would be worlds better performance in both categories.

Like Jack said, unless your bleeding edge GPU (8800gts/2800xt) you won't need to worry about the x8.
Hmm i have 8800GTS and in everest it shows PCI-EXPRESS 16x @ 8x . So how i get it working on 16x? you can find my PC in Post your rig thread.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG