The online racing simulator
A brain teaser
(123 posts, started )
Yes, but the house numbr could just as well be 38 or 9. As logigal as it sounds I doubt it's a good enough reason.

I thiknk you're notr supposed to use sence with this, since it's something that's designed not to be cracked.
Quote from hyntty :Yes, but the house numbr could just as well be 38 or 9. As logigal as it sounds I doubt it's a good enough reason.

I thiknk you're notr supposed to use sence with this, since it's something that's designed not to be cracked.

In that case it's irrelevant which of the answers you pick, as long as you claim you 'know' the house number is [#].
No, it has to be 13. No other numbers satisfy all three clues

1. Three numbers MUST multiply to 36
2. The largest number must be on it's own
3. The number must be the house number next door (but could equally be across the road, or where they last lived).

If it was, say, 2*3*6 (sum=11) then there wouldn't be any need for the house number part of the clue.

It is a logic puzzle, designed to be solved in about 30 seconds. Nothing more, nothing less. I will buy you the champagne if I am wrong, you can send it to me if I am right.
Quote from hyntty :I thiknk you're notr supposed to use sence with this, since it's something that's designed not to be cracked.

Someone with 10,000+ posts can't be wrong

@ Tristan I got in with the key of 13 a good 6 minutes before you, I atleast think that is worth a glass
@NotAnIllusion
No, it's a case of explaining why the house number can't be [#]
Quote from tristancliffe : I will buy you the champagne if I am wrong, you can send it to me if I am right.

Well, when i I see the person who has the answer, and you appear to be right, I'll send the champagne via fax.
Quote from tristancliffe :No, it has to be 13. No other numbers satisfy all three clues

1. Three numbers MUST multiply to 36
2. The largest number must be on it's own
3. The number must be the house number next door (but could equally be across the road, or where they last lived).

If it was, say, 2*3*6 (sum=11) then there wouldn't be any need for the house number part of the clue.

It is a logic puzzle, designed to be solved in about 30 seconds. Nothing more, nothing less. I will buy you the champagne if I am wrong, you can send it to me if I am right.

Why can't a house number be 11? I am totally lost on that clue as the house number isn't providing useful information. The only information that the oldest is a drummer provides is that there is an oldest and not twins... I guess I don't get how the sum is the same as the house number limits the ages at all . . .
If you think "why bother with the house number bit of the clue" then consider that without it it could be any number (with a single large number). Therefore, to make the house number bit at all meaningful (bearing in mind we don't know the number at all) then you have to assume (using logic!) that it must narrow the answer down to the two 13s.
Quote from tristancliffe :If you think "why bother with the house number bit of the clue" then consider that without it it could be any number (with a single large number). Therefore, to make the house number bit at all meaningful (bearing in mind we don't know the number at all) then you have to assume (using logic!) that it must narrow the answer down to the two 13s.

Thats what I am getting to, what logic are you using you assume that this "sum of the ages is the house number of the neighbor" clue narrows the answer down to a value of 13. AFAIK house numbers can be lower than 13 and much much higher than 13, so I don't understand how it lets us "logically" assume this. I am not arguing, just can't figure out how this reason is any more valid than 1*4*9 for example, which in my mind is a valid house number, has an actual "oldest" to play the drums and meets the product of 36...
There are two possible answers that equal 13, all the others are unique (e.g. 38, 14 etc), so the logic is to assume that the house number bit MUST mean the two 13s and not one of the other ones. Otherwise you might as well not have the house number reference in the question.
@Blackbird

Yeah Tristans right. But i know how confusing it may seem. You have to remember that it's a question set by a mathematician. And their logic is very different to what you or i would call logical. Mathematicians as a rule have no sense of humour (as we would know it), and therefore won't add anything to a problem like this if it had no bearing on the end result. They wouldn't just throw in a line for the sake of it. i.e if something isn't needed it's removed.

So, the line about the house number is included because it is part of the equation, so it's important to the overall question, because only 2 of the possible 'products' are matched i.e 13 (as Tristan explained above). Then tie-in the clue that there is an older son, and that leads to only one possible conclusion 2, 2 and 9. If the house number wasn't important then neither would the drum line. And if that was the case then there would be no possible way to answer the question, something a mathematician would never do.

It's a stepping stone kind of thing, one thing leads to another and in the end you get to the answer.

Mathematicians are an odd bunch at the best of times, but the only way to understand this sort of stuff is to think like one Which is why i chose hitting things with a hammer as a career !
Actually, in case of twins, other must be older than the other, otherwise I feel pity for the mother (Ultimate torment and torture when two babies tries to push at the same time...)

Okay. I will shut my mouth.
Sorry, but this can't be traslated:

Gekkibi olet taas asian ytimessä!
Quote from hyntty :Sorry, but this can't be traslated:

Gekkibi olet taas asian ytimessä!

Freely translated: "Gekkibi, once again you found the point".

Thank you, doing my best.

Edit: omg plz lol, tristan was once again faster than I was.

Edit2: That dictionary seems to be pretty good. I tested it with sentence "Me poltettiin kokko. Koko kokkoko? Koko kokko.". Result was almost right: "We a bonfire was burnt. The whole bonfire? The whole bonfire."
Quote from Gekkibi :Actually, in case of twins, other must be older than the other, otherwise I feel pity for the mother (Ultimate torment and torture when two babies tries to push at the same time...)

I agree, that's how my mind would see it too. But then again i'd also say they'd have no neighbours to start with coz they all got so pissed off with the drumming they all moved out and the house fell down

But, for the question in erm question, i think it's safe to assume they don't expect you to get down to the hour/minute/second of the birth of twins...

Then again, it's Finland, so anythings possible
Quote from Mazz4200 :Then again, it's Finland, so anythings possible

Ya, it's snowing in hell atm, thanks to us.
(Hint: Finns has traditional joke "If we win in eurovision, hell freezes". Usually we send "stars" like Kaija Koo, Eino Grön or Kirka to eurovision (Never heard them? Well, I don't blame you...), so the chances of winning is pretty small (Same chances that hell freezes).)
Quote from Gekkibi : Finns has traditional joke "If we win in eurovision, hell freezes".

But we're gonna win it this year again, at least we should with our candidate. But then, we should have won it last year too.

BTW wasn't it in Pulkkinen or some other tv show that "asian ytimessä" scheisse?
Quote from hyntty :But we're gonna win it this year again, at least we should with our candidate. But then, we should have won it last year too.

BTW wasn't it in Pulkkinen or some other tv show that "asian ytimessä" scheisse?

I don't watch Pulkkinen.

What is the artist this year? Last year I knew that we couldn't win with that artist. On 2006 I knew that Lordi is special enough, so we might win (Or come to 2nd, because of Russia. Every ex-warsow country voted Russia. They have, and will, always vote Russia. Other ridiculous thing is that usually countries votes neighbours. Sweden votes Denmark, Portugal votes Spain, Ukraine votes Molvania...)
Quote from hyntty :And it doesn't go like that. Swedes always vote for us, but we never return the favour...

Well, that's because we hate swedish!
(And I am 25% swedish. Härifrån tvättas!)
Quote from Kalev EST ::doh:

Thank you. I tought no one would spot it.
This prooves that there are at least one who reads my posts. Thank you. *hug*
Quote from CobraDrifter :What's the number of the house next door...if we don't have it we can put any age for the three boys(that equal 36).

thats the point...
my english teacher gave us something like that,
Neighbor infront gets out to work, he sees the children next door with his father, he says they are beautiful, they are 3, the younger has blonde hair, and the sum of the ages are 36.. or something like that.. i dont remember, no one got it right... it was like this one but with girls
i think i can post it here,
How many people there are?,if there are 2 sons and 2 fathers?

I know its really easy but still...

A brain teaser
(123 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG