Waited 2 years to upgrade
(10 posts, started )
I just picked up a 850 watt psu (my old one couldn't handle the new card.) Anyways, I just got a BFG 9800GTX+ 1GB OC, what a card, for the price. No way I'd splurge on a GTX2XX series card, this thing runs Crysis perfectly, and every other game I own, maxed out at 1680x1050.

My only issue was, getting a higher clocked 512MB version, but since this BFG model comes with the extra memory, and OC'd out of the box, and it's the + version, it's based on the 55nm core, not the 65nm, so cooler temps and better overclocking ability, it seemed the logical choice. Overall I'm happy with the BFG 55nm model, lifetime warranty, great OC'ing, and unless you're obsessed with running Crysis in some crazy high resolution with AA maxed out, the GTX2XX just isn't worth it. Unless you have money to burn. Honestly, in 99% of games the 9800GTX+ series will do the job just as well, as with most games the GTX2XX is simply overkill, IMO.

Anyways, this card is absolutely sick, and I recommend it to anyone who can't afford the GTX 2XX series, which run about $100 more, give or take. IMO, it's overkill, unless you have a giant monitor and love maxing out antialiasing.

Also I was stuck with 3GB of PC5300/667mhz memory, which was kinda hurting me, considering the rest of my system, so I upgraded to 4GB PC6400 800mhz, actually made a difference. In doom 3, at 1680x1050, ultra quality, 4xaa, with the PC5300 memory I scored a 125fps in the timedemo, with the new memory I scored 137fps, I didn't know it could make that much difference.

Also, I've always wanted the Logitech G5 mouse and G15 keyboard, and my god was it worth it!!!! I highly recommend, especially if you're into FPS gaming. Logitech kicks ass, I also recommend the Logitech - Z-2300 2.1 Computer Speaker System. This thing is the loudest PC speaker system I've ever heard, and I've had very nice Harmon Kardon setups in the past. Not only is it loud as hell, and it doesn't crack, the quality of sound is amazing.

I've used a portion of my tax return to make my upgrades, I've waited a very long time to upgrade, I admit the video card as the only thing necessary, but I'm a producer and need a second source other than my headphones to listen and critique my music. So anyways, if you're looking for a 3 piece speaker system that can practically shatter a window with volume, yet have superb quality, at only 169.99 it's hard to beat the Z-2300 2.1 3 piece. Unless you prefer surround sound, still I'd take the Z-2300.

The rest I through in because I think they're great products and want to share my experience.
#2 - Jakg
I prefer surround sound.

I'd take the Z5500 :P
I considered that and a few others, but refused to spend that much, I wanted to keep it under $200, I put my Cobra in the shop again and am on a budget. Those look like sick speakers tho, I like the wattage. How much power to the sub? The review for that speaker set had a negative remark on the sub. Do you own this system? I'm curious, cause the sub quality is very important to be. Far to many systems have terrible subs.
#4 - Jakg
It has a very good sub (from what i've heard).

I only have the X540's - I want the Z5500's or G51's but I can't really justify it...
Im not so sure about the 9800GTX+. When I was looking at graphics cards the other day, contemplating upgrading, I found the GTX260 was about £30 more than the 1GB 9800 here in the UK, for me that's money worth spending given the performance increase at the resolution I use.

Out of interest what card did you upgrade from?

I decided in the end I'm not dropping any more money into my PC for a very long time, my 8800GTS is fine for now, spending another £200 just to play games doesn't seem worth it for me.
I upgraded from a 8600GTOC, with the crummy 128bit mem interface, which kills bandwidth, very few games I could run at my native resolution. The difference is just amazing. I can max out crysis no problem, before, on medium settings at a very low res I got around 20fps lol. It sucks I couldn't have a card like this sooner, I can't believe how well it performs, the GTX2XX series cards must be absolutely insane. But I gather they're for gaming in much much higher resolutions, like 1920x1200 or whatever, and with AA maxed. I'm just not that picky, and I'd rather upgrade the pulley and exhaust on my Cobra than get a graphics card I won't need.

The memory upgrade is a nice improvement as well.
A few days later I bought a second 9800GTX+ 1GB OC, so I don't really care for the GTX200 series, not for at least a year or two, these two cards in SLI destroy every game I play, by a long shot. I'm curious to see some benchmarks, of my two cards in SLI vs the GTX 200 series.
Meh. I'd bet buying a 280GTX would not have been more expensive than buying 2 9800GTX.
thanks for the review... really wicked you're enjoying the upgrade!
Quote from Riders Motion :Meh. I'd bet buying a 280GTX would not have been more expensive than buying 2 9800GTX.

I priced the GTX280 at 300-330, depending if you want the OC model or not, and depending on vender. I paid only 159.99 each for my cards, so I paid $320, and my cards do out perform the GTX 280, so I guess I made the smart buy. Also, they're incredibly quiet, and because they're the GTX+ version, they're 55nm, not 65nm, so they run very cool and use less power, so I can OC the hell out of them. I've already gotten a pretty sick OC out of them on stock cooling. I'm happy with my purchase. Honestly tho, I'd love to have 2 GTX200 series, and I likely would have bought 2, but I just put my Cobra in the shop for, upgrading the SC pulley and a few other things, just couldn't afford it.

(10 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG