The online racing simulator
What to do with my NC10?
(12 posts, started )
#1 - Jakg
What to do with my NC10?
I have bought a Samsung NC10 (a netbook) for the sum of £239 + £14 back at some point via QuidCo - Originally I bought it with the intention of selling it on eBay for about £300 but now i'm not so sure what to do.

I have an eee 701 (a modded one) which I really really like, but it's just too small (7") to really be of that much use. Plus the CPU is a bit too weak for Chrome (600 MHz Celeron ftl), and I also have a big 15.4" laptop with ok specs (Core 2 Duo / 4 GB RAM / 120 GB HDD / Onboard Graphics).

ATM I use the big HP for School etc, and my eee for standing my notepads on (:X I'm selling it soon). I keep thinking it'd be nice to carry something a little smaller and hopefully not need to bring a charger, but i'm only at School for a few more weeks then i'm off for the summer and then to Uni. All it does is run Chrome, Office and then the (very very) occasional game.

I have 2GB of RAM in the eee and 1GB on my desk, so I could swap it over and put 2GB in the NC10 if needs be.

I'm just wondering what to do - Originally I wanted to get a second hand HP TX tablet PC for Uni and then build an ok desktop, but now i'm wondering if the NC10 might be better.

Few questions, though...

How bad is the single core? I thought I could live with a rubbish CPU, but the eee proved I can't - it needs to run Chrome at the very least and 3 monitors has made me a big multi-tasker, however my laptops Core 2 T7200 2GHz CPU is barely ever fully used so I'm not sure.

Whats the battery like? I've read claims of 6-7.5 hours, but whenever I've bought anything with a long claimed battery life it's never been that great. It'd be great if it could last me a whole day (School day could be anywhere up to 6 hours) without needing to bring the charger with me.

What size is the charger? On my HP it's got an inline power brick thing, whereas my eee is just a big plug with a single cable to the unit which is much nicer.

In short - Help!
what was the last decision you made without consulting the forum first?
Quote from Shotglass :what was the last decision you made without consulting the forum first?

Yes, whatever that decision was, do that.
#4 - Jakg
Quote from Shotglass :what was the last decision you made without consulting the forum first?

What I bought for lunch today? What route I took home, perhaps?

£240 is over a months wages - I want to be sure i'm making the right decision whilst also eeking some more info out...
Quote from Jakg :What I bought for lunch today?

Well if you chose anything else but the salmmon you were an idiot.
#6 - J@tko
#7 - Jakg
Quote from hyntty :Well if you chose anything else but the salmmon you were an idiot.

I chose a Diet Coke and a pack of Tesco Finest Cookies - Doesn't really answer what I should do with my NC10 tbh.
Doesn't it has Atom CPU?

Mine MSI Wind U100 (10" netbook) has Atom, and it's dual core.
#9 - Jakg
You sure?

It's a single core Atom (the N270)
Quote from Jakg :You sure?

It's a single core Atom (the N270)

Attached images
ORLY.png
#11 - Jakg
Hyper-threading, perhaps?

According to here it's single core...
Hmm I found a laptop largely useless at uni. It's quicker to jot notes down than type them up etc, thus I would go for the NC10 for day use then a legit desktop for proper work.

User reviews seem to claim a good battery life.

What to do with my NC10?
(12 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG