The online racing simulator
#1 - janm
Anyone got an idea what's causing this Kernel data(stack) inpage error?
Hi, everyone.
I'm having this ''Kernel data inpage error'' coming up on my monitor, a blue screen...you probably know what it looks like...

I took the pc to a local pc assembler, who tested the machine and said it was the ram and put a new ram into the pc.(the pc was also running slow).

Now the speed is ok, but now and then this kernel message still comes up and the pc reboots.
I'm no expert in this ''department'' and don't know what could be the cause. Could it be the motherboard drivers or any other drivers i should update, apart from gfx card which i've done already ?

foxconn sis760
amd 64 3000+
512 ram
ati 9600 pro
wd 80gb

Thanks for the help.

Jan
I think the first thing I'd do would be to see what other BIOS versions are available and try either a later or previous version. Because its a Kernal stack related error I'd say its unlikely to be windows or application related.
#3 - Vain
Definitely try to update the BIOS. If that doesn't work you're unlucky. Some mainboards don't like specific RAMs ("don't like" as in: the specsheet says it's compatible yet the system is unstable).

Vain
Apparently this error happens when you only have an device is set to slave without having a master, either that or your HDD is on the way out.

Dan,
It maybe possible that the previous faulty ram has corrupted some files on your hard drive. So if you cant resolve the problem any other way, try reformatting the hard drive and reinstalling everything to see if that corrects the problem before buying another harddrive.
#6 - janm
This forum is great !
I mean, great people on the forum .
Thanks for your instant replies.

One more thing:
I updated the bios, now it says to restart the computer and ''load CMOS optimized defaults''.
What do i have to do? Anything in bios or do i need only to restart the computer and the ''CMOS otpimized defaults'' load automatically?

Thanks.
Jan
#7 - Vain
Restart the computer, during boot-up there's a sequence where it somewhere says "Press del to enter setup", sometimes it's F1, or some other key - perhaps you already saw the line...
Enter the BIOS by pressing the inquired button. Then tell the BIOS to load the "optimized" defaults and save&restart. That's it.

Vain
#8 - janm
Thanks, Vain.

I did that, but the pc keeps beeping and won't restart...What's wrong?
Quote from janm :Thanks, Vain.

I did that, but the pc keeps beeping and won't restart...What's wrong?

I suspect the optimised defaults are setting you ram timings too aggressive, if there is just a default setting try that or find the ram timing section and set them to auto. If that fails set them to the slowest setting which generally is the highest numbers.
#10 - Vain
Ask your manual what the beeps mean. Usually the manual of the motherboard has a "translation" of the beep-codes (something like "short short long short -> No monitor connected" i.e.)

Vain
#11 - janm
Crap
Just crap! :doh:
Was using the official utility from motherboard's manufacturer site and updated the bios using this utility ''Super update''. The bios was also downloaded from their site. Than i restarted the pc and it went beep......beep....beep nothing but black screen.
I immediatelly contacted a local assembler and he said it wasn't advisable to update bios in windows and that perhaps it wasn't the right bios for the mobo and that my mobo has quite surely gone poo,poo, ka,kaillepall .

Anyway, it's still under guarantee, so no costs luckily.
Was just a bit unlucky here, i guess, due to lacking sufficient knowledge.

Well, looking at the bright side, i've learned to be more careful in these matters. The pc is at repair ''plant'' now.
No high fps for me this weekend...

See ya

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG