The online racing simulator
A few noobie questions
(12 posts, started )
A few noobie questions
Hi all,
I am new to this game and am currently using the s2 demo. Is this game worth buying? Does/How have an interactive pitcrew? Are there any mods etc for this game?
Thanks 4 helping out,
Mclarenmatt
Yes the game is worth buying - it would be worth it if it were twice the price. The answer you get here (being the LFS forum) might be a little biased, but not as much as you'd think.

How interactive pitcrew - you are the pitcrew. You decide what happens in the pitlane via F12, although some stuff is fixed, like damage repair, as it's the only way of currently penalising accidents.

No 'mods' as such, like other cars or tracks, but there are a few programs tat work with LFS to expand the content unofficially, such as a slickmod (allows all tyres on all cars [not all at once silly]), ghost mod (allows you to artificially be quick and ruins the realism of the game, but GTx fans like it), LFS Tweak (allows everyone to make silly cars that aren't drivable to demonstrate their lack of knowledge of cars).
As a demo user you should know most of this, as the only thing not available in the demo is extra cars and tracks. The features are pretty much the same (other than pit lane speed limiters, skin downloading and stats tracking).
Yes.
No.
No.

Both No's are actually more like "Not yet". Mods as in adding new cars and tracks aren't allowed/possible as long as the game isn't finished, but modifying textures and some sounds is possible. There are also useful addons like Smokemod, Ghostcar and Pitspotter and also a program called LFSTweak, allowing for many changes of the existing cars.

For me, buying S2 was the best money spent on a game ever. I'm playing it for ages now and it's still fun to play, unlike many of the other games catching dust on my shelf.

E: Damn you tristan
Worth buying for ?

YES ! :headbang:

P.S. Definitely
Do you think it is better than rFactor? Someone told me that LFS2 is better at the moment but when rFactor has its addons/mods completed (F1 etc) it will kick LFS2 butt! What do you think?
In my opinion rFactor is crap. Not because of the poor content but because of the underlying physics engine. LFS may have its quirks, but it feels much more alive and connected than any of the ISI sims I've tried. The latter ones make me feel like I'm steering a hovercraft, not a car.

Granted, the ISI sims are still more realistic than most other racing games out there but for me they feel horribly bland compared to LFS.

But remember, I'm horribly biased, so instead of asking naive questions you should rather go out and try a demo of another ISI based game, like GTR or GTL. As far as I know, rFactor feels very similar so these should give you a good idea of what it's like.
No way!

rFactor is a mess, and the physics (that it has) are not as good as LFS's. Some people think it's better because it has more grip at low speeds (LFS has a 'bug' in that respect), but no, I don't think rFactors even 20% as good as LFS.

And F1 mods? The F1 car in rFactor is so easy - anyone can drive it round just a few seconds off the pace. In real life I think it'd be a LOT harder, so why make it easier in a game.

I think what rFactor does VERY well is blend realism, arcadeyness and moddability, but the mods aren't helping. Do you really WANT to have to spend an hour looking for the up to date patches of any mod you use every time you use it? Or if a mate asks you to drive on a track you don't have, do you want to spent 30 minutes downloading it... I sure as hell don't... Modding can be great. But in rFactor it's rubbish. and it's the point of rFactor, therefore rFactor is rubbish. Not even a good base for modders...

And I've TRIED to like it. I've spent hours driving it, downloading mods, updating mods, tweaking countless text files (cos they couldn't be bothered to make a menu for the options), and I still can't find one single element where it's noticably better than LFS.

Edit: touche Android!
Thanks looks like i will have my s2 license soon I have the money so i should have it by saturday

P.S. Is the newest patch make the game much better, or are they fixing it bit by bit
The newest patch (Q) really just adds language stuff for other users, and a few tweaks to the interface (like more info in F12 about pit stops), and the ability to bind a controller button to Ctrl+F9-F12.

In a couple of weeks time (ish) Scawen is planning some 'news' of the next patch, and then we will find out when it is released I hope. But it is planned to focus on the tyre behaviour (and probably bug fixing too).

Wait and see. But if you buy S2 you won't regret it, even before the next patch.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
We are awaiting a big physics patch, but it won't be around for awhile. At least not after Scawens new arrival . . .

But he might surprise us.

So remember that that £24 quid is not just bying you the game in it's present state but it's bying you a game that is destined to get a whole lot better in the not to distant future . . . .

If you like racing I really don't think you will be dissapointed . .
Depends.

Physics patches are more of a big deal which come very seldom. This is because any physics changes invalidate the hotlaps and make the game incompatible to older versions, so the devs try to keep them to a minimum. But when they hit, they hit hard.

Then there are the "minor" update patches, which address things like language support. If Scawen is focusing on such parts it's not all that uncommon to get multiple patches within a week.
Ok thanks for all your great help guys

A few noobie questions
(12 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG