The online racing simulator
Weird physics
(7 posts, started )
Weird physics
I think I found a bug in physics calculations. I don't know if it can help, but the only way I can describe it and explain is to attach this replay. Please observe the "paweusz" car (3-rd pos. on start). It is thrown away a few meters forward and totally destroyed.

http://195.20.3.254/p/somethingswrong.mpr
Somebody lagged and cars were one in another. When lag was gone, pinball mode was engaged and he flew into the wall. Happens often if you don't drive carefully.
So was it programmed to "pinball" cars? Couldn't that be resolved in some other way?

I mean I understand that in some equations, when the distance is too low, the force rises to maximum value (especially when distance is in denominator), but if the game had let cars to get too close I think it should resolve this equation in non standard way... And moreover I can't see the other car being pinballed. It is only thrown from the track and can continue the race. 'paweusz' car can't.
No, Basically what happens when the "pinball" effect come into play goes like this:

1. Player 1's connection lags causing Player 2's LFS to lose track of him.
2. Player 2 drives into player 1 without knowing it.
3. Player 1's connection stops lagging.
4. Both player's LFS's realize that there should have been a crash and they initiate a crash
5. Because Player 1's car is inside player 2's car just a little bit, the crash physics go crazy, causing the computer to think that the "crash" was much harder than it actually was, sending both cars flying.

Understand?
Quote from roadrash17 :4. Both player's LFS's realize that there should have been a crash and they initiate a crash

it was my understanding that the server does all the physics generation (as well as being the central hub in all communications, like almost every other online game), so it shouldn't really the clients realizing it, unless i'm mistaken.
Ah...I think you're right...xD Still, same process...i hope... :P :doh:
#7 - pik_d
Well the clients do it between position updates from the server, then get corrected between 4 and 6 times a second, depending on what setting the packets per second is set to.

Weird physics
(7 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG