The online racing simulator
The new Steam OS
(55 posts, started )
Quote from Becky Rose :DX does a lot more than OpenGL. You can wave goodbye to force feedback for a start. That means no more driving sims worth playing... Especially with Steam encouraging the use of game pad style controllers.

And what's stopping developers creating their own force feedback APIs, perhaps even more sophisticated ones than DirectX/DirectInput? As far as I know, sim devs are only using DirectInput because it's all there is really readily available for windows at the moment. This is something where I'd love to hear Scawens thoughts on the matter - FFB on Linux and other unix systems.

I haven't seen Valve encouraging game pads, they will support keyboard and mouse just as they always have. The gamepad is there for the console peasants moving over to PC space.
Quote from Becky Rose :You can wave goodbye to force feedback for a start.

What's wrong with FFB on Linux? The Linux kernel provides a complete FFB API which - as far as I'm concerned - is actually easier to use than DInput because it doesn't require tons of boiler plate code. Yes, it has some limitations, but current devices most likely won't hit them. SDL2 even wraps that into a multiplatform interface that works everywhere. Linux might be lacking on the part of device specific support, but Logitech wheels (which is what most people have today) are supported reasonably well (plus there is a much better support in the pipe) and adding support for other devices will hopefully won't be that much of a problem once the updated ff-memless driver gets mainlined.
Quote from Keling :About wireless range:
Even my wireless mouse works just fine from another room with a load-bearing wall blocking it.

I changed the batteries in my trackpad at work last week, and took it on a little tour of the office. I was switching apps with it from about 50ft away, even from one of the conference rooms at the opposite end from my desk. Bluetooth range is decent!
I can just picture Kev, wandering around the office, screaming to his coworker "Did that work?".
About FFB API:

Sim racing requires a pure, precise and powerful FFB system, with only a simple real-time torque value passed through the API and anything else handled by the physics engine. All the effects, envelopes, offsets and stuff of DirextInput FFB are totally useless for this purpose.
Quote from Keling :About FFB API:

Sim racing requires a pure, precise and powerful FFB system, with only a simple real-time torque value passed through the API and anything else handled by the physics engine. All the effects, envelopes, offsets and stuff of DirextInput FFB are totally useless for this purpose.

Serious racing sims can do just fine with one "constant force" effect. The overall force acting on the steering wheel is a sum of all forces acting on the front wheels and these forces are already known to the engine. This is what LFS does BTW.
Arcades with no actual physics engine can't do that since the game doesn't work with any usable forces. This is where all the envelopes and predefined waveforms come in handy. For instance, when a car is driving on a wooden bridge, the programmer can trigger a periodic force effect with square wave to simulate the rattling.
Was wondering about this.
It's not super interesting. It's fundementally Debian with Steam installed. If you want SteamOS.. do that.
Well, Debian is pretty much what steam are using, so it's not a big surprise. It's useful as beta steamOS atm is limited to clean install on a pc with UEFI and nvidia.
Which is great considering my new gaming PC ticks all those boxes.

That said, I'll end up needing windows for AC
New bitchfest, Why doesn't you (edit*, your) game support SteamOS/Debian.....
Lolz, I can see a whole new future in forum trolling

Can you say 'Open GL' ?
Quote from Crashgate3 :The pad looks interesting. They've done away with analogue sticks completely and given it dual trackpads instead.

http://www.eurogamer.net/artic ... steam-controller-revealed

Thats the ugliest dildo I ever saw.

However, it seems everything Steam OS does - other can and have done before. So why changing from the old to this?
(Yeahyeah I know I sound like an old far now "OLD IS BEST", but I hope you see my point )
Do you want to be stuck running windoze, or take a step forward and run that and Linux. Then, have the freedom to choose which you want ?

After all, that's what freedom of choice should be about, actual freedom to choose your os.

And I'm sure that your xbox controller will work with Linux with the right drivers.......
Quote from The Very End :Thats the ugliest dildo I ever saw.

However, it seems everything Steam OS does - other can and have done before. So why changing from the old to this?
(Yeahyeah I know I sound like an old far now "OLD IS BEST", but I hope you see my point )

It's not about Stream OS, it's about Stream Machines, pre-built console-like gaming equipment with flexible specs.

The OS itself is just slightly modified Debian with a Stream for Linux Client and makes little sense without the hardware.
Quote from The Very End :

Because the question of what it can do was never the point. The real advantage here is that you have a game distribution system built around a fully open platform. You can get it for free, you can run it on whatever you want, you can modify it however you want. There will be nobody telling you what you can and cannot do with your device - compare this to the attitude Sony or Apple have.
Openness of the Linux/FOSS ecosystem also gives Valve full access to each and every component of the OS. They can tweak Steam to play nice with some specifics of the Linux kernel, they can distribute their own modified version of the kernel optimized for gaming (which they do BTW), the possibilities are endless...
Okok, so I see Im the only one beeing an asshat here
No way mate !

It's all about education and showing people the possibilities that breaking the windoze rule offers.

Yes, Debian is boring Linux, but, the possibilities are endless once game studios actually make stuff available.

This IMHO is the biggest change since dos got control of pcs, I can't wait to see the future 5 years of gaming !
Oh, and pc's in general, etc, etc, etc.......

Actually, if it's possible to change the mindset, ' I can only have windows and office 2***) then tbh, yahooooo, as that's a wall I hit everyday.

Yes, it is possible to use a different os and strangely enough your PC still works, and with developement, can actually work better.

And, FYI, you don't need to pay some corporate for the privalege !
There are enough geeks who can make money off other things to get this all working.

Open your eyes, musicians can make great money off changing the way they do business, most of my mates in this make far better money than they ever used to because they are now in charge, not a label. Same as gaming.

Open source os really can be the future, or we can all turn our back, bend over, and chant, 'we want you bill, please, here I am, take my money and @@@@ me hard, again and again, as no PC can work without your knowledge and os ! '
Despite all the ragging on the SteamOS, I am rather anticipating the launch of the Steam Machine. The specs on it are much better than my old pc ever was, and will be better than the laptop I've been gaming on for the past 4 years. With a price-point that is supposed to be competitive with current gen consoles (PS4 and XBone) it easily beats paying close to $2000 USD for a gaming laptop or even an equivalent custom rig. My old desktop cost me $800+ back in 2002, wich was a pretty nice setup for games back then.

Also Linux will be supported without modifications (I presume it just needs to be installed). I've always wanted to move to Linux, but have been too lazy to make that step forward. Now is my chance! I'll probably use the Steam Machine as a replacement for a desktop.

Edit: If Valve can offer a decent price for that hardware, similar hardware should also come down in price, assuming the Steam Machine sells a good number of units.

Edit II: I hope they make AC work for Linux if it doesn't already. That will make my assured purchase ten times better!

Edit III: Does anything that is sold on steam count as a steam game?

Quote :Q: What software runs on Steam ... ular Linux applications.

Well, yes it means "Games that are sold on Steam" but the games that work on SteamOS must support Linux. There's no magical emulator to make Windows games run.

However, In-Home streaming launched to beta users today. I got access and I will say, it works quite well (once I got it to work). There's a very small delay <5ms for input, and video is quite quick as well. I can't wait to try it some more tomorrow.
I'm actually pretty excited now! Thanks for the info!
Yeah. I was pretty surprised actually how fast the streaming is. I think it's more than adequate for playing most games. The obvious games like Assetto Corsa won't be suitable, but as it will stream a Gamepad input, some games that are better on controller (aka most console ports) should be extremely playable.

It's streaming DOTA2 for me right now @ 60FPS with ease.
Nice to hear some good news about the beta. Though I'd still need to get a pc for Assetto Corsa, I'll be going Linux all the way once Alienware or some other company releases their Box.

The only other game I might miss out on that I play would be FSX. I should check if XPlane works on Linux.

The new Steam OS
(55 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG