The online racing simulator
LFS and 2gig ram?
(11 posts, started )
LFS and 2gig ram?
Not sure if anyone else has this problem but ever since I put 2 gig of ram in i get ramdon crashes from LFS, tried all sorts of drivers for chipset and graphics card and have even tried another mobo. Heres my specs

AMD64 3700+
4 x 512mb OCZ EL 3200 Rev 2
1 Raptor 74gb
2 250gb Maxtor HDDs
Asus A8N SLI Premium
Asus 7800 GTX
Enermax 600W noisetaker

If I run 2 x 512mb sticks its fine, all other games and apps run perfect apart from LFS, any ideas? system is at stock
#2 - avih
might be a faulty ram stick, or just underperforming with your specific MOBO. Since LFS has quite harsh requirements from the ram/MOBO, any fault in the ram, or OC MOBO may cause issues with LFS.

Try using different combos of 2x 512M sticks and see if you could pinpoint the problematic stick.
Did you try it with only 3 RAM modules? Or try different combinations and note the results. I doubt LFS has a problem with 2+ GB of RAM, I rather think that one of your modules may be faulty. If you find out which one produces the errors you should be able to replace them by warranty.

There are also some RAM checkers out there on the net, asking Google will surely give you a result.

efb
#4 - ORION
Are all the 4 of them identical, or do the revisions differ, meaning that differnt memory chips could be used?
Try to use memTest or SuperPI to check your System
working with 2 gig ram here. so it's no problem with lfs and 2 gig ram in general.
Ok thanks, ill try them in different combos, but yes they are all identical
Quote from Bradmax57 :Ok thanks, ill try them in different combos, but yes they are all identical

However why do games such as BF2, HL2 Doom 3 work perfectly?
They dont hammer your PC as much, in terms of CPU and RAM usage (bear in mind, I have absolutely no proof of this).
Some systems may experience some stability problems with all four DIMM slots populated. I do find it unusual that it should work fine in other games, but as angry_angel mentioned, LFS relies much more heavily upon the CPU whereas other games these days rely mainly upon the graphics card. I don't know where LFS stands in terms of system memory usage but the extensive CPU usage may very well translate to high memory usage.

As others mentioned, try taking a stick out and see if that fixes it.
Quote from the_angry_angel :They dont hammer your PC as much, in terms of CPU and RAM usage (bear in mind, I have absolutely no proof of this).

ehrm, hl2 and especially bf2 are eating ram as fast as me ice cream

LFS and 2gig ram?
(11 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG