The online racing simulator
New to LFS
(16 posts, started )
New to LFS
Hi everyone

I live in the UK and enjoy all forms of sim racing. Ive just purchased an S2 licence and trying to get to grips with LFS. At the moment im making my way through the tutorial sessions and find the Open wheelers difficult to drive{BMW}. I have a problem with removing my foot from the throttle to change gear [using paddle shifters, auto clutch]. I seem to remove my foot try to change up but the car stays in the same gear. Its obviously me as sometimes i get it right [but not often]. In the options menu under Misc ive noticed the debounce setting at 40ms will changing this aid me at all. Also for online racing is there any servers that welcome new guys [but not for a while as i can only make my way round blackwood at the moment]. I apologise if this has been asked before any help appreciated.

Cheers PD
Quote from paul5331 :Hi everyone

I live in the UK and enjoy all forms of sim racing. Ive just purchased an S2 licence and trying to get to grips with LFS. At the moment im making my way through the tutorial sessions and find the Open wheelers difficult to drive{BMW}. I have a problem with removing my foot from the throttle to change gear [using paddle shifters, auto clutch]. I seem to remove my foot try to change up but the car stays in the same gear. Its obviously me as sometimes i get it right [but not often]. In the options menu under Misc ive noticed the debounce setting at 40ms will changing this aid me at all. Also for online racing is there any servers that welcome new guys [but not for a while as i can only make my way round blackwood at the moment]. I apologise if this has been asked before any help appreciated.

Cheers PD

start with automatic gearshift, then slowly move to manual shifting, first dont try with Single Seaters with manual shifting, try With TBO class, gives better knowledge how and WHEN you need to change your gear. The times may be slower, but when you master the Manual Shifting, Fast times await you

If you want to start straight with FBM, then try first few laps slowly learning the technique, Dont go with full gas, release the throttle and then change the gear, first with slower speed, and then step by step increase the speed until the best you can do.
Automatic gears are a bad habit to start, the best cars to start driving are either the RB4 (rather heavy, four wheel drive) and XFR (light, front wheel drive and slicks).

The FBM has that gearbox issue, the FOX is a much more stable car to start off with IMO, although I started my career as a rolling chicane before the FBM came along.
Hi, welcome to LFS.

Start by using as many of the manual controls as you can, that means manual gearbox and a manual pedal clutch, where applicable.

Learn it the hard way first time, saves you having to relearn later down the line

As for the debounce, I can't remember. Try playing around with it and see what difference it makes for you.
I'm not.

And anyway, even if that is true, probably 90+% of these racers who stick around will change to manual gears sooner or later. Better do it the right way in the first place, IMO.
Quote from paul5331 :Hi everyone

Cheers PD

If using auto clutch in the FBM, I find it easier not to attempt syncronising clicking the paddle with lifting the throttle...I simply hold the paddle in and when the throttle is momentarily eased the next gear is engaged.
Also, do not be shy about going online. Simply pick a server that takes your fancy, observe the chat and the racing...you will find that (most) people are friendly and will offer advice where they can. It will be far easier and quicker to learn how to race online, simply observe and respect flags and other racers.
Thanks
Thanks for that:

I may invest in a G25 wheel with a clutch pedal using a momo racing at the moment about 5 years old. Ill take the advice about leaving the open wheelers for now and concentrate on learning the tracks in a tin top. see you online soon i hope

PD
i've been playing racing games with automatic for far too long, trying to learn manual in lfs (bough lfs a few weeks ago) but a few seconds off, i can never concentrate on anything other than the gears.

playing XFG on BL only.
Better you learn to control your own gearshifts than let the rather hapless computer do it for you.
yer i agree start with manual in the XRT if you got a clutch pedal use no driving aids what so ever

what i did with cars that were hard IE lx6 a few years ago was i would keep driving them untill i could do a few clean laps without crashing or losing it and move on to a harder car.

slowly but surely you will get used to each car :P
Quote from wuffa :i've been playing racing games with automatic for far too long, trying to learn manual in lfs (bough lfs a few weeks ago) but a few seconds off, i can never concentrate on anything other than the gears.

playing XFG on BL only.

Just keep learning the manual shifting, youll see that it will turn "automatic" for you as soon as you get the clue to get all of it.
Hey! Welcome to LFS!

If you want to start racing in some league, maybe you can visit Absolute Beginners League and learn there. We are used to newbies, so try it
(follow my signature)
Many fast kms / miles
With regards to the shifting, it might help, to keep the paddle pressed, and then lift off the throttle until it shifts, only after that release the paddle.

New to LFS
(16 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG