The online racing simulator
Over Revs...
(6 posts, started )
Over Revs...
Alright, I'm new to the forums and pretty new to the game. I'm just curious as to why cars don't shut-off/blow the motors when you red line the rpm for too long. I race sometimes and I've seen people blow their engines by over revving. My car does not have a rev limiter only because I like my engine.
Well back to the topic, I was just wondering if someone could make a mod/patch to make over-revving possible. I mean it is a race-sim so I was just wondering why I could sit on the pedal for 2minutes and nothing blows and no damage is done. In real life no one smart uses a limiter only because when you hit it it cuts the gas flow to your engine which causes horrible effects.
Anyway thanks.
search for rev limiter insim
I don't think the OP means a limiter bouncing effect, he is talking about actual damage caused by holding a car on the limiter.

True, in LFS holding a car on the limiter doesn't do any damage, but i don't think it does much damage in a real life car, as the limiter is there to stop the engine revving higher than it should do.

There is however, rev related damage in LFS. If you use manual gears and go from say 3rd down to 2nd gear too early then the engine will over-rev. If you do this too much there is a noticeable loss in power.

The ultimate test, Get in an XFG, do down the blackwood straight as fast as you can, drop it down into 1st gear when you get about 3/4 of the way down, release the clutch and try and hold the car straight.

Once you have stopped moving, try and drive. The engine will not rev or even start at all.

If you want to read all about what damage simulation LFS has and how it works, go here. http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=11421
Quote from danthebangerboy :I don't think the OP means a limiter bouncing effect, he is talking about actual damage caused by holding a car on the limiter.

I know, but the rev limiter "mod" has a side effect of turning the engine off if bouncing off the limiter for some time.
I know, but i don't think its meant to It just goes out of synch with LFS until you get the delay set right to suit your computer.
Quote from twiztidmurda :In real life no one smart uses a limiter only because when you hit it it cuts the gas flow to your engine which causes horrible effects.
Anyway thanks.

No. IRL there are many types of limiters and the most common isn't like this, usually limiters cut the ignition but keep giving fuel to the engine, thus the banging "effect". Some limiters limit petrol flow, some cut ignition and some do both.

Over Revs...
(6 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG