The online racing simulator
Did iRacing Kill LFS?
(133 posts, started )
Quote from marzman :How do you laserscan Blackwood or Kyoto?

Same way you cook up the aero data of the Radical
Quote from marzman :How do you laserscan Blackwood or Kyoto?

You could easily enough laser scan a B-road or something (free, I presume, you don't have to pay to map a country road) and then take segments of the road section and simulate them onto a predefined course. Definatly a feasible idea IMO.
Quote from Gabkicks :build the track in real life, and then lazer scan it.

on it
estimate: errr....
Quote from chavm481 :on it
estimate: errr....

Well, err. Takes too long.. Postponed! to next year!
yay! we can always laser scan the earth... through google earth.. and now mars ...
Quote from chavm481 :yay! we can always laser scan the earth... through google earth.. and now mars ...

Or we could scan the STFU.. and now GTFO.
Quote from marzman :You bring in the argument about slow development again, but give strange examples. Forza 2 is updated much less then LFS is and GT5P is a preview version of a game that hasn't got a launch date yet but will probably take at least a year from now to be finished. So it's kind of comparable with LFS besides you have to buy the full version again with GT5.

When i bought LFS i took it as is and only enjoyed it was still onder active development. Most games are not, they just let you buy a new version every year. In LFS people that bougt S1 six year ago still get free physic and video upgrades.

sorry, I wasn't clear when I said that GT5P and Forza 2 are good alternatives. I meant good alternatives as in they offer different things to LFS. All 3 are aiming to be as realistic as possible but while LES only offers 19 cars, Forza offers 200+ and GT5P offers 60+. LES may have more tracks but Forza and GT5P has real tracks (like the Nordschleife, Suzuka and Silverstone)

of course, my essentials to a sim may be different to many. I used to think that LFS was the best sim out there, simply because I felt that it had the most realistic feel to it but when I played Forza, my mind instantly switched.

The one thing that I greatly admired LFS for in the first place was its physics but can its physics still be defined as realistic, I very much doubt that. All you need to do is watch some WRs to realise that most of those guys aren't great drivers, they're just great exploiters of a false representation of reality and I admit, I've had a few under my name and after I did it, I realised how silly it was.

That said, I can't say the same about Forza or GT5P because I don't have broadband to watch what they look like but for now, I prefer Forza over LFS in all areas (Physics, cars, tracks, sounds, graphics). I'll still keep up to date with LFS and its developments because it was so good when it first came out and its ok now so its bound to have tons of potential to be the ultimate sim once again but until then, I'll be enjoying thrashing my Enzo GT round the Nurburgring
Quote from Leprekaun :sorry, I wasn't clear when I said that GT5P and Forza 2 are good alternatives. I meant good alternatives as in they offer different things to LFS. All 3 are aiming to be as realistic as possible but while LES only offers 19 cars, Forza offers 200+ and GT5P offers 60+. LES may have more tracks but Forza and GT5P has real tracks (like the Nordschleife, Suzuka and Silverstone)

of course, my essentials to a sim may be different to many. I used to think that LFS was the best sim out there, simply because I felt that it had the most realistic feel to it but when I played Forza, my mind instantly switched.

The one thing that I greatly admired LFS for in the first place was its physics but can its physics still be defined as realistic, I very much doubt that. All you need to do is watch some WRs to realise that most of those guys aren't great drivers, they're just great exploiters of a false representation of reality and I admit, I've had a few under my name and after I did it, I realised how silly it was.

That said, I can't say the same about Forza or GT5P because I don't have broadband to watch what they look like but for now, I prefer Forza over LFS in all areas (Physics, cars, tracks, sounds, graphics). I'll still keep up to date with LFS and its developments because it was so good when it first came out and its ok now so its bound to have tons of potential to be the ultimate sim once again but until then, I'll be enjoying thrashing my Enzo GT round the Nurburgring

I've heard good things about Forza. I have it myself too, but i don't have a wheel for my xbox so i can't really compare it. I agree with some parts, but it's hard to say something about physics when you sit in the bank with a controller. I prefer LFS with wheel above Forza with an Xbox controller

About LFS physics. Maybe you are right. I don't know. I don't have the time to play multiple sims so i stick to LFS (i've tried Rfactor, GTR2, Race07 and even iRacing with the 1 month trial but i didn't have the time to really get to know these games. They felt strange but i can't say if it was more or less realistic). Wouldn't real life drivers exploit real life physics more if they had unlimited practise laps, no chance of loosing their life and a fixed new car at no costs?

Did iRacing Kill LFS?
(133 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG