The online racing simulator
Worth watercooling it?
(7 posts, started )
Worth watercooling it?
Hi there!

I have a Core2Duo E8500 running at 3.59GHz (375 x 9.5), and a PNY 8800GT 512MB.
I cool the CPU with an Cooler-Master V8, and it idles at 32/32°C, at 100% it goes up to nearly 43°C and the GPU with an Arctic-Cooling Twin Turbo, which idles at 48°C / 100% @ 62°C.

So my questions is:
  1. Would it be worth it to watercool these things?
  2. And how big would the difference in idle-temp/100%-temp be, if u just chance about it?
  3. Would a basic kit stand to cool both CPU + GPU?
  4. If yes; Should i be able to cool anything else, like RAM, NB and/or HDD?
Well, thats all for now, would really appreciate ur help
Your processor is already at a really good speed, with really good temperatures. Aside from the 'cool' factor (no pun intended), there isn't really a practical use for water in your system - I don't think.
At those temps I think watercooling it would actually work negatively. For example, if you connect your CPU, GPU, NB, and RAM to the watercooling system, all the temperatures in your system would be pulled closer together. It's true that your GPU would cool down a little, but your CPU, NB, and RAM would actually heat up a little since they're all connected to the GPU. With watercooling I predict that all your components would be around 35-40 degrees when idling, and up to 50 when at 100% usage. I don't think it's worth it.
you might as well put it in a barrel of mineral oil...
The only reason the use of watercooling is for overclocking the **** out of everything you own, i have got watercooling but i used it for a couple of months because it's no good to have if you don't game like 24/7.

I put mine away because i just got sick of it in the end, was no good for me because i only game when i am not doing nothing plus there no good games to play at the moment but in the end i just download alot at night so the noise was getting to me alot.

I went from a top range pc (AMD Quad, 8Gb Ram, x3 Raptors in raid0, x2 4850 in crosshair, custom watercooling loop) to a media/light gaming pc (AMD x2 5000+, 4Gb Ram, Samsung F1 1Tb, 8800GT, Air Cooling) and felt like there no diff when in casual use.
Watercooling is akin to tuning the car ! Yes techies and geeks alike murmour in horror as use vehicle ownership as a comparison to cooling.

Wont help your clocks too much (really depends if your headroom is a therrmal issue). Like pickard/rc10 mentions noise can be a factor, but there are quiet WC solutions.
okey guys.. thanks for all the answers..
i have been thinking about for a long time, and someone said that it would help with my temps. but as someone of u said, the cpu and ram will get the heat from the gpu. and that aint what i want.. so ill stay with my cooling for now

thanks all!

Worth watercooling it?
(7 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG